Engine removal.

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

No, the question was "can i" 

Good point - maybe the op is a mechanical genius or a total numpty - we have no way in knowing.

So - the answer to post no1 should be "we don't know'

I was going to edit my original reply but the option has time expired - hopefully the OP will read down the thread.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Haha 1

A couple of years ago on the upper T&M  I passed a boat that had its BMC completely stripped down on the towpath.  All the parts right down to the crankshaft out were laid out on a tarpaulin. It looked like it had been lifted out using an improvised wooden gantry. I reckon that the main problem would be getting it onto the towpath, but the owner may have stripped it on the cruiser stern.

13 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

A couple of years ago on the upper T&M  I passed a boat that had its BMC completely stripped down on the towpath.  All the parts right down to the crankshaft out were laid out on a tarpaulin. It looked like it had been lifted out using an improvised wooden gantry. I reckon that the main problem would be getting it onto the towpath, but the owner may have stripped it on the cruiser stern.

Some time ago there was a member of the forum (before he was banned and went to the other side) who had taken his engine apart (I think he had removed an injector) and had convinced C&RT for about 2 years that he couldn't move as he was waiting for a part - he even put a hydraulic hoist on the back of the boat to enable him to re-fit it.

I believe that eventually he did take a mooring.

14 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

I always carry an old valve spring and a small nut, both with a little patina about them, for just such an occasion.  Slyly drop them on the tarpaulin with the other bits as you distract the owner with a cheery "good morning", and enjoy an intermittent evil chuckle for quite a few days to come.  :D

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I always carry an old valve spring and a small nut, both with a little patina about them, for just such an occasion.  Slyly drop them on the tarpaulin with the other bits as you distract the owner with a cheery "good morning", and enjoy an intermittent evil chuckle for quite a few days to come.  :D

I doubt this would work in reality. When I dismantle a piece of engineering I remember and recognise each and every single part. A few extra bits would be sussed and rejected instantly. 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

I doubt this would work in reality. When I dismantle a piece of engineering I remember and recognise each and every single part. A few extra bits would be sussed and rejected instantly. 

I was only joking, but I think you'd be in a minority. Remember what the original question was here... :D

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I know you were, but I was doing that child/adult/parent thing described in transactional analysis :)

I don't think you are supposed to game transactional analysis

• Haha 1