WATER POINT AT HURLESTON JUNCTION

D Rowley

Featured Posts

HELLO EVERY ONE

we are due to do the four counties ring in september and i am trying to locate the water points before we go so there is no messing about looking for them when we are cruising.

we can just stop if no one is using them or pass it by and fill up at the next

the only ones i cant see are

hurleston junction (is it on the main shroppie drag or is it up the part that goes to the locks?

and penkridge by what bridge is it near

thanks

David

The water points at Hurleston are above the top lock on the Llangollen canal. Be warned, it is very slow. There is another one just by the Arm at Nantwich and another one just before the Middlewich Canal at Barbridge junction.

The water points at Hurleston are above the top lock on the Llangollen canal. Be warned, it is very slow. There is another one just by the Arm at Nantwich and another one just before the Middlewich Canal at Barbridge junction.

thanks for that

i thought there might be one on the main shroppie drag but could not see anything on the pictures that are on canaplan

canaplan says the facilities for hurleston junction are WATER RUBBISH ELSAN and according to the map at waterscape.com its showing WATER RUBBISH ELSAN at the bottom lock and WATER & TOILETS at the top lock

we will prob stop at Barbridge junction if not nantwich

thanks again

its our first time on a narrowboat so i am trying to be prepaired

David

Stop at Nantwich, the waterpoint at Barbridge is very near the junction with the Middlewich Branch it is the slowest waterpoint we have come accross on the whole system, when I say slow I really mean SSSSSSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW, avoid it if you can.

David

Get a 'Pearsons' or 'Nicholsons' guide for the 'Four Counties Ring' cost about £9.

I am guessing that you are hiring, if so, then your hirer or nearest chandlery will have them.

Get one before you go and have the fun of planning your trip and finding the best places to stop etc.

Hi,

The facilities at Hurleston are at the top lock, there is nothing at the bottom lock, except a queue of boats normally!

The facilities at Barbridge are on the Shroppie main line just before the Middlewicjh Junction.

Regards

John

thanks for that

we will stop at nantwich

we have got a nicholson guide to the FOUR COUNTIES RING and have planned the overnight stops

it was just the water points i wanted to find as i didnt want to hang about looking for the water points not knowing exactly where they are

many thanks again

we cant wait for our holiday

really looking forward to it

David

perhaps we will have ran out of rain by then

but what ever the weather we will enjoy it

we have got ALL the wet weather gear ie-: boots, leggings, gloves, coats so we are going well prepaired so we might get a nice week

:cheers:

thanks again

David

Yeah, i would get a Nicholsons, deffonatly worth the £10 and they last for years if looked after.

- The tap at nantwich isnt that amazing either, with hurleston often being as good as long as your not in peak time. The one ar barbridge is quite good tho.

Daniel

Yeah, i would get a Nicholsons, deffonatly worth the £10 and they last for years if looked after.

- The tap at nantwich isnt that amazing either, with hurleston often being as good as long as your not in peak time. The one ar barbridge is quite good tho.

Daniel

Daniel where have you been the current version on Nicholsons is now £12.95 :cheers:

we might fill up at auldem for water as some of the crew want to look around the village. so i can get water while they are sight seeing

we are stopping at wheelock for the night (monday) so will fill up there and then stopping the night around mickley bridge area (tuesday) so the fill up will be wednesday morning

thanks

David

It is always a good principle to aim to fill up with water every day when out cruising, that way it you miss a day or even two it is no big deal, yes they are all clearly marked in the Nicholson's'. Don't know about nine quid though, someone is in a time warp.

yes we intend to top up every day when we see a water point not busy

its just on tuesday we have the following fill up point options

kings lock - too close to wheelock (the last fill up point)

barbridge - close to the junction and a slow tap

nantwich - slowish tap and close to audlem

audlem is not much further and as mentioned above some of the crew want to look around the village so i can spend time filling up with water while they are away

we have got a set of 2 way radio's so i can call a member of the crew back when we are full of water (so as not to hog the water point) and proceed up the audlem flight

i was by wheaton aston the other day and saw they have got 3 water points which is handy

thanks

David

Edited by D Rowley

yes i was by Audlum the other week and i noticed the two water points.

we are coming from nantwich direction and our water fill point is at the front of the boat so the one outside the shroppie fly might be a bit awkward to use as its at the wrong end of the boat (unless the boat is supplied with a 70ft hose ? as the boat is 67ft long) so we would probably use the one below the lock

david