Dog Harness

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Hi Peeps

We always use a lifejacket on the dog but after reading a previous thread we are going to start using a harness instead. Any recomendations of type with a big lifting handle on the back. Medium sized dog she weighs about 70 pounds a labrador. I have put this in equipment because a boat without a dog is ill equipped. cheers :cheers:

We've tried a few on our dogs and I'm now a fan of Julius K-9 which we got for Poppy for Christmas, (16kg Cocker Spaniel). You often see them on Police GSDs and other larger dogs, and I dont think that is just due to brand and marketing.... but it might be.

Nice handle, good loop for the lead and a flashing light, and seems to be comfortable for her. I guess the only criticism might be that there is only one strap under the body so, if lifting the dogs full weight, it wouldnt be spread out. The Crewsaver lifejacket we have for her has a big pad underneath, thus spreading the load completely.

My view with the harness is that, if she got into trouble, we would use the handle to help her out of wherever she is and, if we actually have to lift her completely, spreading the weight might not be the most important thing on our mind at the time.

2 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Got one of these for our mutt: http://www.ruffwear.co.uk/best-sellers/web-master-harness-ss17

Got a grab handle built in which has been used once, when sais mutt miss judged the distance to the bank and fell in.

Not cheap, but as the perfume ad says " 'Cos she's worth it."

I have a ruffwear double back harness on order for my Border Collie, he has a slightly disabled front leg (plates & pins) so he couldn't use it to scramble him self back on to the bank without help. I thought the same as you, they are expensive but I felt that they had the best / sturdiest  buckles - and he is worth it. 

8 hours ago, Ray T said:

Got one of these for our mutt: http://www.ruffwear.co.uk/best-sellers/web-master-harness-ss17

Got a grab handle built in which has been used once, when said mutt miss judged the distance to the bank and fell in.

we have one of these for our elderly Cocker, but being a tight Yorkshire lad i got ours from fleabay for £40 from some poor soul who bought it and never got chance to use.

that said, it’s saved her bacon twice so paid for itself already, last time was in Feb when she was too eager to get to the towpath on a frosty morning and slid in

8 hours ago, Ray T said:

Got a grab handle built in which has been used once, when said mutt miss judged the distance to the bank and fell in.

They look excellent with the 2 straps underneath... particularly if there is a chance of having to lift a dog, rather than merely help it along.

We had a bad incident last year in the Cape of Good Hope Locks. Just entered the empty lock when a GSD crossing the bottom gate lost its footing, slipped out of its harness and fell in right behind the boat, luckily missing us and the boat. It was a difficult and stressful rescue, lifting out a scared, wet, heavy dog without even a collar on is really difficult. Our lurcher also went in last year and does not swim well and it took a little too long to pull her out. Main thing is that even if the dog is not wearing a life jacket it must have a good fitting harness that it can't slip out of, a good quality ordinary walking harness should be fine as long as it fits well, but a good harness with a handle is probably much better.

.............Dave

11 hours ago, dmr said:

We had a bad incident last year in the Cape of Good Hope Locks. Just entered the empty lock when a GSD crossing the bottom gate lost its footing, slipped out of its harness and fell in right behind the boat, luckily missing us and the boat. It was a difficult and stressful rescue, lifting out a scared, wet, heavy dog without even a collar on is really difficult. Our lurcher also went in last year and does not swim well and it took a little too long to pull her out. Main thing is that even if the dog is not wearing a life jacket it must have a good fitting harness that it can't slip out of, a good quality ordinary walking harness should be fine as long as it fits well, but a good harness with a handle is probably much better.

.............Dave

This is turning into a good thread and thanks for all input everybody. I agree its all about lifting a fairly heavy dog out rather than a bouyancy thing. I feel our dog may get too hot in her lifejacket and a harness can be left on for longer periods of time.

• Happy 1

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

This is turning into a good thread and thanks for all input everybody. I agree its all about lifting a fairly heavy dog out rather than a bouyancy thing. I feel our dog may get too hot in her lifejacket and a harness can be left on for longer periods of time.

Our girl is a Lab too Tim, and swims like a fish. Nevertheless, she has a buoyancy aid (with a handle for reasons discussed).  This is because, particularly on rivers or in tunnels (although my dog is below when in a tunnel), it may be some time before you can get the boat into a position to recover the dog or find a suitable place to get her out. Even the most otter-like dog can get tired in the time it could take and the extra buoyancy may make the vital difference. 

I've not had a problem with Jess overheating in her buoyancy jacket but, should we ever see warm weather again, I agree that a harness would take up no extra space and be a good option when extended recovery times are not an issue.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Like many dogs, ours pretty much insists on lying on the back counter when we are moving which is far from ideal on a trad stern. I suspect it satisfies a dogs need to be "walking" but without any effort. She wears a walking harness just about all the time, except when we have alll retired inside for the evening. I usually put the harness back on to take her out for her last wee. On the back she is always tied on though this has the downside of the rope sometimes getting around our legs and also her going into the prop if she went in. Its a difficult decision, she has a well defines place and the rope has a well defined route between dog and fixture in the back cabin. If anything gets difficult she can be sent inside quickly without having to undo her rope. Dogs pick upon human stress so well, at the slightest tense moment she jumps up and gets in the way so needs pushing inside quickly.

She has a lifejacket (seadog) for more risky boating like rivers but does not like it and if not supervised will chew through the straps.

Its a good life for a dog, my wife takes the boat through locks, I work the locks, on lock free sections I drive the boat and wife and dog walk at least part of the way.

.............Dave

33 minutes ago, dmr said:

Like many dogs, ours pretty much insists on lying on the back counter when we are moving which is far from ideal on a trad stern. I suspect it satisfies a dogs need to be "walking" but without any effort. She wears a walking harness just about all the time, except when we have alll retired inside for the evening. I usually put the harness back on to take her out for her last wee. On the back she is always tied on though this has the downside of the rope sometimes getting around our legs and also her going into the prop if she went in. Its a difficult decision, she has a well defines place and the rope has a well defined route between dog and fixture in the back cabin. If anything gets difficult she can be sent inside quickly without having to undo her rope. Dogs pick upon human stress so well, at the slightest tense moment she jumps up and gets in the way so needs pushing inside quickly.

She has a lifejacket (seadog) for more risky boating like rivers but does not like it and if not supervised will chew through the straps.

Its a good life for a dog, my wife takes the boat through locks, I work the locks, on lock free sections I drive the boat and wife and dog walk at least part of the way.

.............Dave

Im happy to say my missus will not drive the boat :D therefore she does all the locks and dog walking. I did however have to get off and close one bottom gate at Long Eaton a couple of days ago as she simply couldnt budge it. I never used to have to get off anywhere in the country but she was 36 when we moved aboard and shes now 65 and I have to say much fitter than I am :lol: Dogs simply adore the life I am sure you will agree. Having said that there are several numpty dog rescue places about the country that will not rehome to a boat :banghead:

19 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Im happy to say my missus will not drive the boat :D therefore she does all the locks and dog walking. I did however have to get off and close one bottom gate at Long Eaton a couple of days ago as she simply couldnt budge it. I never used to have to get off anywhere in the country but she was 36 when we moved aboard and shes now 65 and I have to say much fitter than I am :lol: Dogs simply adore the life I am sure you will agree. Having said that there are several numpty dog rescue places about the country that will not rehome to a boat :banghead:

When we got the dog the rescue centre insisted on a private back garden with a 12 foot fence (Lurchers are famed escapologists) but said a boat would fine. :D 

..............Dave

• Happy 1

Getting a dog back on board was the problem for us. The barge has nearly a meter of freeboard and when our Airedale fell in whilst we were drifting below a lock on the r.meuse and swam to the stern. He weighs 28kgs, luckily there are some rungs welded on the side of the rudder so I climbed down and got hold of him, however couldn’t push him up with one hand whilst holding on to the barge. First mate passed a rope down which was tied around him and she pulled whilst I pushed and we got him on board.

in a lock on the upper Thames our old dog scruff decided to go ashore despite all the notices saying keep off the grass. He made a leap from the cabin roof but didn’t make it sliding down the lock side like in a cartoon. The keeper fished him out with a keb and put him on top of the coal saying your dog looks like a laboratory brush on legs. Charged him bit more for his coal!

07A987C6-C5C3-4773-BAE5-F5A1589EE1F1.jpeg

Edited by Dav and Pen
Lavatory not laboratory

Just throwing in a tuppence worth, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baltic-Standard-Fastening-Buoyancy-Strap/dp/B001RHCVYS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522418702&sr=8-1&keywords=baltic+dog+life+jacket

The Baltic has been brilliant for heaving our 40kg GSD out of the cut several times. The last time he fell in was when he tried to reach a lovely 'lady' GSD on the other side of the frozen canal - no harm done, except to his male pride! :giggles:

Thanks for everybodies input as usual. Here she is with her shiney new harness on. Went for this one due to recommendations and they were in stock at the nearest pets at home which saves postage hassle for only a few quid more. :cheers:

WP_20180404_15_59_26_Pro.jpg

• Happy 2

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Thanks for everybodies input as usual. Here she is with her shiney new harness on. Went for this one due to recommendations and they were in stock at the nearest pets at home which saves postage hassle for only a few quid more. :cheers:

WP_20180404_15_59_26_Pro.jpg

So own up. How many of these do you expect to need to pull your boat?

On 29/03/2018 at 12:39, mrsmelly said:

We always use a lifejacket on the dog but after reading a previous thread we are going to start using a harness instead. 

But the snow has cleared now, so you can unhook the huskies.

It will be summer soon; get the dog a snorkel. :P

On 30/03/2018 at 15:09, Jennifer McM said:

The last time he fell in was when he tried to reach a lovely 'lady' GSD on the other side of the frozen canal - no harm done, except to his male pride! :giggles:

Cold water does that to me too!

• Haha 1