Just in time for Easter

matty40s

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Athy said:

Be aware that here in the Fens, through which you must pass, it's going to widdle it down with rain ALL DAY on Monday. So do check Nene and Gt. Ouse levels. You'll be fine on the Middle Level section, as it is well drained and never floods.

We just get high water levels, which means the stop planks go in and the pump is started at the marina.

19 hours ago, Martin Trnecka said:

Has anybody a crystal ball for the week after next, as I will be navigating (or at least intend to) Nene, Middle Levels and Great Ouse to my home marine? :huh:

Where about is your home marina? I was up on the Ouse yesterday and the Denver end was fine. We moor on the Lark.

Edited by Traveller
Duplications of post.

Three hire boats made it off the Severn into Droitwich this afternoon only to find they can't go any further because the Salwarpe is in flood and the Vines Park flood lock has been chained shut since yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately it also means my fellow permit mooring holder Steve and his family are about to spend the second night of their Easter trip still on their own home mooring. :mellow:

Edited by Captain Pegg

9 hours ago, Athy said:

Be aware that here in the Fens, through which you must pass, it's going to widdle it down with rain ALL DAY on Monday. So do check Nene and Gt. Ouse levels. You'll be fine on the Middle Level section, as it is well drained and never floods.

When I moored at Floods ferry it would often go up 2 feet, both Fox and Bill Fen have flood gates

Sileby mill pool, there was a towpath there yesterday....and a boat!!!

Luckily he grabbed our spot above the lock when we left.

IMG_20180331_105349.jpg

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

When I moored at Floods ferry it would often go up 2 feet, both Fox and Bill Fen have flood gates

2 webbed feet???

Fossditch is a bit high today. 

20180401_101027.jpg

It's still on the rise. The flood gates at the marina are not shut yet but will be before long. So it's a day chilling out in the marina for us which will no doubt involve the pub at some point.

Well, I am unapologetically a fair weather boater. I plan to migrate north in the summer, bird-like, from the Canaries (appropriately!) back to my boat in Staffs. Probably sometime in May, weather permitting.

Searching for reassurance about the warm, balmy summer to come, I chance upon this thread – rain, rain and maybe warmer rain :angry2:. Part of my primitive belief system is that we will influence the weather by our confidence (or otherwise) in it, so please stop convincing it to rain!

I have to state, categorically, that there will be a fine, warm summer this year. There will be enough rain (in the early hours on some days) to maintain water levels. No rising rivers and flood warnings. If not, those expressing views to the contrary must shoulder the blame for talking-up the rain!

Edited by Marshian

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Well after seeing just 2 moving boats in 2 days up to Foxton we have seen about 40 today and the last three locks at Buckby saw 3 forum members too, moominpapas,jakecrewand MartinT on his first day out on his new boat.

No one daft enough to move here today, the water is dead level with the towpath and the flow past our boat is significant.

The police helicopter was circling the river here earlier for about an hour, I hope nobody fell in as I wouldn't fancy there chances.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Never mind the river the real problem is getting from yer boat on the floaters to the bloomin Pub :o

Yep. Hope the narrowboaters on the far side have plenty of supplies onboard as they ain't getting to dry land anytime soon. The boat owner on the near side has a better chance.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Never mind the river the real problem is getting from yer boat on the floaters to the bloomin Pub :o

We used to have a mooring like that. Going to work/pub sometimes meant getting in the dinghy when the river was in flood!

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Yep. Hope the narrowboaters on the far side have plenty of supplies onboard as they ain't getting to dry land anytime soon. The boat owner on the near side has a better chance.

We met some proper weirdos on their boat once. They were non drinkers and never went to a pub ever. Proper scarey what weirdos are out there innitt :o

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

We used to have a mooring like that. Going to work/pub sometimes meant getting in the dinghy when the river was in flood!

Yeah for those of us that know those moorings we know its not the best place to be on days like today. A fair drop of fresh on at the moment :) At least we can still walk tut pub ere :D

24 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

We met some proper weirdos on their boat once. They were non drinkers and never went to a pub ever. Proper scarey what weirdos are out there innitt :o

Yeah for those of us that know those moorings we know its not the best place to be on days like today. A fair drop of fresh on at the moment :) At least we can still walk tut pub ere :D

We have no choice.  We are locked in the marina, flood gates on. What else is there to do but go to the pub?

Mind you got to be in a fit state when we get back to cook the nice rib eye steaks we picked up from Doddington Hall earlier!