How long is your liveaboard boat and is it long enough

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, dmr said:

Our dog has got shoes for when her feet get irritated, they are sort of orange trainers, it must be quite hard to get shoes onto a cat though.

...............Dave

Nah, have you not heard of Puss in boots.:)

download.jpeg

Edited by rusty69

13 minutes ago, dmr said:

Our dog has got shoes for when her feet get irritated, they are sort of orange trainers, it must be quite hard to get shoes onto a cat though.

...............Dave

Your dog has shoes.......wholy shamoly!!!

Just now, Matt&Jo said:

Another thing to remember when looking is not only total boat length but interior cabin space. My seventy footer had eighteen inches less interior space than my present sixty eight footer.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Matt&Jo said:

Sophie our lurcher went through a long phase of skin irritations on her feet leading to serious infections and sadly the amputation of a toe. As CC'ers we saw loads and loads of different vets who prescribed all sorts of medications. Eventually we visited a wonderful Indian gentleman and vet in Parbold on the L&L who suggested dog shoes whenever her feet begin to show irritation. It worked.

.............Dave

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Another thing to remember when looking is not only total boat length but interior cabin space. My seventy footer had eighteen inches less interior space than my present sixty eight footer.

Yep there with you i have seen 57ft boats that have a great layout over 60ft with next to noooooo storage anywhere. A well designed 57 ft is as good as a 60ft....fair comment?

1 minute ago, Matt&Jo said:

Yep there with you i have seen 57ft boats that have a great layout over 60ft with next to noooooo storage anywhere. A well designed 57 ft is as good as a 60ft....fair comment?

Yes.My 70 footer was a posh looking thing with a longish pointy end which looked good but as a liveaboard was wasted space.

26 minutes ago, dmr said:

...............Dave

....and just try and find a pair of shoes to fit a duck!

19 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Hi all, 

Bit of a shout out to alllllll that are willing live aboard boaters to ask 1 simple question.....does size really matter????? How long is your vessel and how many on the boat...is it enough and how small is 2 small in general terms....57ft?

Any info would be grand.

If you are planning to have a boat built then it depends on how you design the interior layout. If you are planning to buy a used boat then you need to take a good look to decide if the layout works for you. We could probably live on a 57ft boat but I would miss the extra space our 70footer has, even for simple things like having room to stand the clothes horse on laundry days in wet weather

Edited by Bewildered

5 hours ago, dmr said:

Sophie our lurcher went through a long phase of skin irritations on her feet leading to serious infections and sadly the amputation of a toe. As CC'ers we saw loads and loads of different vets who prescribed all sorts of medications. Eventually we visited a wonderful Indian gentleman and vet in Parbold on the L&L who suggested dog shoes whenever her feet begin to show irritation. It worked.

.............Dave

Did the vet recommend Hush puppies?

17 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

If you are planning to have a boat built then it depends on how you design the interior layout. If you are planning to buy a used boat then you need to take a good look to decide if the layout works for you. We could probably live on a 57ft boat but I would miss the extra space our 70footer has, even for simple things like having room to stand the clothes horse on laundry days in wet weather

Yep. And having a totaly seperate utility room for the washing machine and tumble dryer a long way from the front cabin. A  bathroom big enough for two seperate toilets and a laundry basket and be able to move around. A large front cabin and dinnette and longer than most kitchen and loads of proper inside the cabin storage without having the need to keep anything outside under covers that get in the way whilst boating. Other than these few items and a few more a thirty footer will do honest.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yep. And having a totaly seperate utility room for the washing machine and tumble dryer a long way from the front cabin. A  bathroom big enough for two seperate toilets and a laundry basket and be able to move around. A large front cabin and dinnette and longer than most kitchen and loads of proper inside the cabin storage without having the need to keep anything outside under covers that get in the way whilst boating. Other than these few items and a few more a thirty footer will do honest.

As long as it's 14 feet wide.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Other than these few items and a few more a thirty footer will do honest.

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

As long as it's 14 feet wide.

Our boat is 36 feet long (not a 365 day liveaboard just 6 or 7 months of the year)

We have a 'master suite' with queen sized double bed, his and her dressing tables and wardrobes a bathroom & en-suite toilet and a separate shower room.

A saloon, a galley, a separate dining room and then another toilet, bathroom and shower, and a twin berth cabin up f'ward.

But - it is (as Biscuits suggested) 14 feet wide.

2 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Moral of the story.....long as you can afford then....

Long as you can turn.

Long as you can moor.

Long as you can maintain

Long as you can fit

Long as you can handle

Long as you like

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

I have a 60' reverse layout but with my bedroom before my lounge and a large walk through bathroom after the kitchen for just myself and my dog, have fitted it and refitted it several times over the last 2 years ... got rid of the dinette to extend the kitchen and fit a washer/dryer and freezer, added loads of storage and a small desk, now have more than adequate space due to a lot of planning, have a cruiser stern, but still plenty of cabin space, have friends on 57' boats and although its only 3' they seem so much smaller just because of the way they are fitted.

Rick

I have a 50ft trad narrowboat. When I viewed it, I knew it was right.

Space wise perfect for me. Done a few alterations like refit galley and created a walk through bathroom. I have everything I need in the 8ft Galley. Sink, 12volt separate under counter fridge and freezer. Cooker, Full size washer/dryer.

If I get married or had children, I would either buy a 70ft or most likely buy a widebeam sailaway.

James

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

11 minutes ago, canals are us? said:

I have a 50ft trad narrowboat. When I viewed it, I knew it was right.

Space wise perfect for me. Done a few alterations like refit galley and created a walk through bathroom. I have everything I need in the 8ft Galley. Sink, 12volt separate under counter fridge and freezer. Cooker, Full size washer/dryer.

If I get married or had children, I would either buy a 70ft or most likely buy a widebeam sailaway.

James

Spot on its what suits you I suppose. Main thing to remember nothing is forever and a correctly priced boat sells in nanno seconds so you can change whenever you need.

Id love a widebeam to be honest but id only ve able to cruise the K&A and a bit of the GU and moorings are sooooo expensive and few and far between......also could only really afford a sailaway and dont fancy the challenge of fitting it out :blush: im no eggspert....by any stretch

55ft here. Could get away with something a little shorter if the layout is right. Contemplated getting something longer but mooring and maintenance costs would increase so I'm happy with what I have got for now. 

I know a chap moored near me who has a fantastically built Aqualine 60ft boat. Only problem is the galley is in my opinion unnecessarily large in comparison limiting space elsewhere on the boat. Mine is 5ft shorter but you would struggle to notice being aboard as it makes better use of space imo. Layout is key in terms of making the best use of available space.