Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Matt&Jo

How long is your liveaboard boat and is it long enough

Featured Posts

Hi all, 

Bit of a shout out to alllllll that are willing live aboard boaters to ask 1 simple question.....does size really matter????? How long is your vessel and how many on the boat...is it enough and how small is 2 small in general terms....57ft?

Any info would be grand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

of course itt matters.:D

It would depend on your intentions for use of your boat, if aiming to do the whole system then 57 ft - ish you have to look at.

If you intend to liveaboard on a mooring and rarely go beyond the K&A and Thames, then you might as well get a 70 footer, loads more storage and maybe an office or extra bedroom space ...or maybe a proper engine 'ole.

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Secondhand a sixty footer costs similar to a 70 footer. Vastly more space on the 70 footer ten feet in fact. This ones 68 feet it does the job. I have lived on 57 feet I dont want to do it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, matty40s said:

of course itt matters.:D

It would depend on your intentions for use of your boat, if aiming to do the whole system then 57 ft - ish you have to look at.

If you intend to liveaboard on a mooring and rarely go beyond the K&A and Thames, then you might as well get a 70 footer, loads more storage and maybe an office or extra bedroom space ...or maybe a proper engine 'ole.

Hold on! We have a 70 foot liveaboard and do indeed spend a fair bit of time on the K&A, but have been to Liverpool, Cambridge and are in Ellesmere Port this very moment  :D

..............Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Secondhand a sixty footer costs similar to a 70 footer. Vastly more space on the 70 footer ten feet in fact. This ones 68 feet it does the job. I have lived on 57 feet I dont want to do it again.

think what you could stick in that extra 2 feet.....you could have a whole stack of 10 spare thetford cassettes in a cupboard on one side and....

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

Hold on! We have a 70 foot liveaboard and do indeed spend a fair bit of time on the K&A, but have been to Liverpool, Cambridge and are in Ellesmere Port this very moment  :D

..............Dave

ah, but you like me cannot go to that tightarsethrifty county that said 60 foot lock is all we can afford.....

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

think what you could stick in that extra 2 feet.....you could have a whole stack of 10 spare thetford cassettes in a cupboard on one side and....

ah, but you like me cannot go to that tightarsethrifty county that said 60 foot lock is all we can afford.....

I always wondered why they built those locks so short in said county, now I know. They made some nice biguns in Lancashire though

.............Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/03/2018 at 22:08, matty40s said:

of course itt matters.:D

It would depend on your intentions for use of your boat, if aiming to do the whole system then 57 ft - ish you have to look at.

If you intend to liveaboard on a mooring and rarely go beyond the K&A and Thames, then you might as well get a 70 footer, loads more storage and maybe an office or extra bedroom space ...or maybe a proper engine 'ole.

 

I have both :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

I have both :)

Now you're just showing off *wink*

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lived on my 40 footer with a 23 foot cabin for quite a while, and had a friend who lived for about twenty years on a 35 foot boat (both of us on our own). A lot depends on what you can afford and how many of you there are...

I think you need less space than you think you do, after all you only use a small amount of it at any one time.  After that it depends on your hobbies and what clutter they involve.  Playing the trombone is tricky and the banjo is, thank god, almost impossible.  As for my wife's double bass...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

62ft. I live aboard alone, but I love the layout and space. Sofa bed and dinette are very useful to keep any extra crew well rested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it depends on a lot of things ... I started with 40ft but because of the layout I found it a bit claustrophobic ... now I'm on 57ft it's much better - but if I could I would sacrifice 3/4 ft of saloon for more storage in the bedroom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

You could always get a butty as a spare room

Or in my case it would be - get a butty as a spare shed.

I'm not sure how to function with out a shed. :blink:

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cheshire~rose said:

We have two sheds ;)

:lol: Now you're just showing off. *wink*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dmr said:

I always wondered why they built those locks so short in said county, now I know. They made some nice biguns in Lancashire though

.............Dave

They might have been short but they were not ridiculously skinny so a proper beamed boat could carry plenty of cargo :P

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon this thread will be.....

The _____ (insert boat length here) foot boat I/we own is the ideal size for us/me. I/we certainly wouldn't need anything bigger/smaller (delete as appropriate). 

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We spent 12 months living on 42ft while having a 70ft boat built.   Much too small for comfort  we found.   I much preferred handling the bigger one too as it seemed to follow the channel naturally and was not bothered by windy conditions.   Easier in locks also as once you pass the cill or can shut the lower gates, then the bow is conveniently leaning on the gates at the other end, so no need to charge backwards and forwards revving the engine as the water comes in.   The tug deck gave lots of useful storage below and made the boat easy to cross when locking with no danger from top gate paddles opened too fast.   I would definitely go for 70ft again.

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I reckon this thread will be.....

The _____ (insert boat length here) foot boat I/we own is the ideal size for us/me. I/we certainly wouldn't need anything bigger/smaller (delete as appropriate). 

70 foot 8 and 3/4 inches, its ideal for two people and a dog, I certainly wouldn't want anything Much longer :D

...............Dave

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dmr said:

70 foot 8 and 3/4 inches, its ideal for two people and a dog, I certainly wouldn't want anything Much longer :D

...............Dave

....and 69'7" is ideal for two people and two cats:),as long as they don't put on further weight, or purchase any more bags and shoes (Mrs Rusty)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

....and 69'7" is ideal for two people and two cats:),as long as they don't put on further weight, or purchase any more bags and shoes (Mrs Rusty)

Our dog has got shoes for when her feet get irritated, they are sort of orange trainers, it must be quite hard to get shoes onto a cat though.

...............Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.