Mastervolt Ultra 12/3000-150

Wrinkley

Featured Posts

Hi All

I am after some advice please regarding the setting up of my Mastervolt Ultra. First, is it possible to force the unit into equalisation mode as I could with my Victron that I had previously?  Second, what are the ideal voltage settings for the bulk voltage? I have set the absorption voltage to 14.8 and the float to 13.25.  I do not know what to set the max amps on either of the absorption or float or max times.  Any help would be most welcome. (I have the Master adjust software)

Regards

Graham

4 minutes ago, Wrinkley said:

I have Dyno Start 6v similar to the T125. 

Then probably around 14.8V Absorption. What to do with float depends on your charging regime. See this post:

Yes thank you I have read post on the subject (a number of times) just trying to get my head around the bulk phase. So 14.8v is OK and 70 amp max? (I have 6x245ah connected to give 12v) There is the facility to set the max time for bulk and absorption but do not know what to set it too. I have increased the absorbing voltage to 15.3v for about 2hrs to carry out an equalisation charge but this is a bit of a faff compared to the Victron. I would have expected a simple system, can but live in hope. 

6 minutes ago, Wrinkley said:

Yes thank you I have read post on the subject (a number of times) just trying to get my head around the bulk phase. So 14.8v is OK and 70 amp max? (I have 6x245ah connected to give 12v) There is the facility to set the max time for bulk and absorption but do not know what to set it too. I have increased the absorbing voltage to 15.3v for about 2hrs to carry out an equalisation charge but this is a bit of a faff compared to the Victron. I would have expected a simple system, can but live in hope. 

My Mastervolt 2500/100 Combi had a dip-switch to get into equalisation mode, but it was rubbish and tended to terminate after about 30 mins. So now I just up the bulk and absorb voltage to 15.5v or whatever to equalise. I am lucky to have a Masterview Easy (touch screen) that allows all settings to be easily altered so I don’t have to faff about with a laptop and Masteradjust..

33 minutes ago, Wrinkley said:

So 14.8v is OK and 70 amp max? (I have 6x245ah

Yep. 10% of 735 is 70-ish so that’s a good figure to use, although 140A wouldn’t really hurt. It won’t be too long before that starts dropping anyway. 

35 minutes ago, Wrinkley said:

There is the facility to set the max time for bulk and absorption but do not know what to set it to

Time is irrelevant. You only want to stop absorption when you get to around 1% capacity (about 7.3A in your case). 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Yep. 10% of 735 is 70-ish so that’s a good figure to use, although 140A wouldn’t really hurt. It won’t be too long before that starts dropping anyway. 

Time is irrelevant. You only want to stop absorption when you get to around 1% capacity (about 7.3A in your case). 

Well the time is a bit relevant. If you set it too short, the charger will drop into float at that point even if the current is still quite high / batteries not fully charged. I would stick with the default max Absorption time which is 360 minutes. You could keep an eye on it but I suspect the current will be well down after 6 hrs at Absorption. This setting is really to prevent very prolonged charging at Absorption in the case of eg a damaged cell, or when the boat is taking significant current to operate its services (the combi can't tell the difference between current going into the battery, and current going into the boat's services). In normal use the charger will go to float before the max absorb time, when the charge current drops below the "Return amps" setting. Confusingly the "Return Amps" parameter in my manual says it is a % of the max charging current, but then goes on to specify the range of settings in A. But I'm pretty sure it is %. Remember, that is the % of the max charge current, not the same as the % of battery capacity!

The default minimum bulk time is 4 mins and minimum Absorb time is 45 minutes. Well those are the figures for my Mastervolt Combi anyway. 

Edited by nicknorman

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Well the time is a bit relevant. If you set it too short, the charger will drop into float at that point even if the current is still quite high / batteries not fully charged. I would stick with the default max Absorption time which is 360 minutes.

Yes, what I was getting at is that you can’t determine when the batteries are charged (ie when to switch to float) by measuring time, only by measuring tail current. So I agree, keep the timer at maximum. 

Thank you both for your input. It seems that I am not too far out with what I am doing. That's disappointing. I also have the Master easy view panel but only use it to see what's happening. Don't know how to use it to control the Ultra. Is there a tutorial anywhere? I think the Mastervolt equipment is good but the manual is not! Well not clear enough for me. 

23 minutes ago, Wrinkley said:

Thank you both for your input. It seems that I am not too far out with what I am doing. That's disappointing. I also have the Master easy view panel but only use it to see what's happening. Don't know how to use it to control the Ultra. Is there a tutorial anywhere? I think the Mastervolt equipment is good but the manual is not! Well not clear enough for me. 

Bear in mind I have no experience with the Ultra, but for my Combi it is thus. Presuming you are looking at the "favourites" page on the Masterview, close that page and select the Masterview Easy from the list of devices. Move right a few items until you get to a tab that says "Configuration" or something like that. It will say "disabled" so touch it, and it will change to "Enabled". Now go back to the list of devices and select the Ultra. Now go left a couple of presses until you see "configuration". Press on that and you will get top level access to various different types of settings (Bulk, absorption, float, extra) and touching one of those takes you into the settings in that group, eg within Bulk you will find the voltage, the max current, the min bulk time etc. Use the up and down chevrons to change the values and then press OK to save any change. All this is from my memory so excuse me if I have some of the label names not quite right, but I have the principle right!

The Masterview Easy retains the "configuration enabled" setting (ie you can use it to change the configuration of it and other MV devices) until it turns itself off (screen goes completely blank) which will happen according to the auto-off setting. If the screen has gone blank (usually after a day or two of non-use) you will have to re-enable configuration on the Masterview pages.

Edited by nicknorman

10 minutes ago, Wrinkley said:

Thank you for that work through. I will attempt this later on today and report back. Is this any thing to do with 'switches'? There are six of those which seem to linked to events. The fun never ends. 

No, nothing to do with the switches. Well I suppose it might be possible to configure the switches to flip between 2 settings but I’ve  never tried as it only takes a few seconds to crank the charge voltage up for an equalise.

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

No, nothing to do with the switches. Well I suppose it might be possible to configure the switches to flip between 2 settings but I’ve  never tried as it only takes a few seconds to crank the charge voltage up for an equalise.

Yes, I've had a look now and can see that it is easy to adjust voltages from the easy view screen once the configuration has been enabled. On my easy view 5 this is accessed by entering a pre set Pin code. Saves connecting the laptop to it. Thanks for the help. I am sure I'll need some further assistance as time goes on. Shame they can't write a manual that I can understand.

14 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Bear in mind I have no experience with the Ultra, but for my Combi it is thus. Presuming you are looking at the "favourites" page on the Masterview, close that page and select the Masterview Easy from the list of devices. Move right a few items until you get to a tab that says "Configuration" or something like that. It will say "disabled" so touch it, and it will change to "Enabled". Now go back to the list of devices and select the Ultra. Now go left a couple of presses until you see "configuration". Press on that and you will get top level access to various different types of settings (Bulk, absorption, float, extra) and touching one of those takes you into the settings in that group, eg within Bulk you will find the voltage, the max current, the min bulk time etc. Use the up and down chevrons to change the values and then press OK to save any change. All this is from my memory so excuse me if I have some of the label names not quite right, but I have the principle right!

The Masterview Easy retains the "configuration enabled" setting (ie you can use it to change the configuration of it and other MV devices) until it turns itself off (screen goes completely blank) which will happen according to the auto-off setting. If the screen has gone blank (usually after a day or two of non-use) you will have to re-enable configuration on the Masterview pages.