ETRR Renting Liveaboard

bquinn73

Featured Posts

Hi, Im looking to rent a boat for 3-4 months just to 'test the water' (excuse pun !) on living aboard the canal before purchasing outright.

I have found this company ETRR ( escape the rat race ) which look like they can provide all i need...

they supply boat, insure, service, have a maintenance call out team.

has anyone used this company, heard of them ..... would be keen to hear some feedback on ETRR.

At the mention of this sort of thing, hackles on here tend to be raised because of doubts about legality. However if there bumff is to be believed, it is all legal and it certainly seems thus. Being a cynic I’d still want sight of the insurance and BSS to show it covered hiring, and of course one should check the contract carefully before signing (they don’t seem to publish it). So on the surface it looks fine, but I have no actual experience of them, sorry.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

ETRR get mentioned on here from time to time, but I can't think of any feedback , positive or negative, that has ever been posted.

Could be good (nobody ever has cause to complain), could be bad (tenants are never heard of again, it's a front for a white slavers gang).

22 hours ago, bquinn73 said:

Hi, Im looking to rent a boat for 3-4 months just to 'test the water' (excuse pun !) on living aboard the canal before purchasing outright.

I have found this company ETRR ( escape the rat race ) which look like they can provide all i need...

they supply boat, insure, service, have a maintenance call out team.

has anyone used this company, heard of them ..... would be keen to hear some feedback on ETRR.

If you do decide to go with them then I think it might be interesting to hear about your experiences on here. Site certainly looks genuine but I have no knowledge of them either way so can't really comment further.

On 28/03/2018 at 13:43, David Mack said:

ETRR get mentioned on here from time to time, but I can't think of any feedback , positive or negative, that has ever been posted.

Same thing goes with parachutes: they either work or they don't, but few folk complain. :ninja:

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

• 11 months later...

I'm amazed at the lack of feedback they've ever received here.

I just discovered them myself, and I can't tell you how excited I am by the idea of their existence.

I mean, they only have one boat where they particularly mention the interior headroom which, at 6'2"/188cm I care about a bunch, but I'd really love to hear anything about them...

3 minutes ago, JB Segal said:

I just discovered them myself, and I can't tell you how excited I am by the idea of their existence.

I mean, they only have one boat where they particularly mention the interior headroom which, at 6'2"/188cm I care about a bunch, but I'd really love to hear anything about them...

I have a friend who rents a boat out long term. he has prices for a minimum of a month upwards. There are a few doing it legitimately out there now.

9 minutes ago, JB Segal said:

They have been regularly mentioned here (for many years) but unless someone actually decides to spend the £6000 (I think its a minimum 6 months 'rent') and then remember to come back and leave a 'report' we won't hear anything about them

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

They have been regularly mentioned here (for many years) but unless someone actually decides to spend the £6000 (minimum 6 months at £1000/month rent) and then remember to come back and leave a 'report' we won't hear anything about them

Heck, 1000#/month is a seemingly solid piece of information that I haven't found before. Of course, given that they say "3 months" every place as their minimum, who knows how much I should trust you. :)

(Forgive... US Keyboard...)

6 minutes ago, JB Segal said:

Heck, 1000#/month is a seemingly solid piece of information that I haven't found before. 

Their website quotes monthly 'rent' of between £850 and £2250 depending on the boat.

When you consider that a 'normal' boat hire business charges around £1000 per week …………………………….

7. How much is a boat from you?

Difficult to answer in theory – we provide specific quotes for specific boats at specific times – it depends on availability and time of year.. so rates can vary from £850 up to £2250! The best thing is to enquire with a start and finish date and any flexibility you may have.

Maybe they have changed their minimum period - it was 6 months when I enquired.

Remember that you do not get any mooring and that you must move in accordance with the legislation regarding 'Continuous Cruisers' (Boats without a Home mooring)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Their website quotes monthly 'rent' of between £850 and £2250 depending on the boat.

When you consider that a 'normal' boat hire business charges around £1000 per week …………………………….

7. How much is a boat from you?

Difficult to answer in theory – we provide specific quotes for specific boats at specific times – it depends on availability and time of year.. so rates can vary from £850 up to £2250! The best thing is to enquire with a start and finish date and any flexibility you may have.

Maybe they have changed their minimum period - it was 6 months when I enquired.

Remember that you do not get any mooring and that you must move in accordance with the legislation regarding 'Continuous Cruisers' (Boats without a Home mooring)

Price: Excellent! Thank you. I missed that in my digging around.

Rental period: Yeah, seems things have changed.

Mooring: If I ever manage to do this, then yeah, I'm absolutely looking at CCing. Living in a marina is not why I'd be doing it.

Thanks again!

I think one thing that may have changed about ETRR from previous discussions is that the web site now says " We currently have boats available for immediate entry! "

From memory, whenever I looked in the past it always indicated they currently had no boats available.  While that was the case nobody was likely to be able to try them out.

10 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I think one thing that may have changed about ETRR from previous discussions is that the web site now says " We currently have boats available for immediate entry! "

From memory, whenever I looked in the past it always indicated they currently had no boats available.  While that was the case nobody was likely to be able to try them out.

Probably as they are likely quieter over the winter and stoppages period.