April/May Thames cruising from Brentford, to Oxford

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Thanks again, the locks sounds similar to the ones on the Aire/Hebble, some have chains hanging down to tie your boat to, hopefully to stop is bouncing around too much. To work those locks, we needed a CRT key, do the Thames locks need a special key?

No key needed, the ones  below Oxford are electric and you just push buttons, the ones above Oxford have a big “ships wheel” that you use to work the paddles

Unless things have changed since we were last there, (which I admit is now some years back), you will be required by the lock keepers to keep both ends of your boat roped to bollards (if against the side of a lock), or to the boat next to you (if not), when locking through.

Most require that you switch your engine off, (though some waive this, particularly if not sharing a lock), so the only control you have is through the ropes.  WE didn't try it but it seems they are often not keen on you using a centre line, making it difficult for single handers.

Going "uphill" may challenge your "throwing a loop of rope and getting it around a bollard at first attempt" skills - one of the reasons I feel going "downhill" is easier.

8 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Unless things have changed since we were last there, (which I admit is now some years back), you will be required by the lock keepers to keep both ends of your boat roped to bollards (if against the side of a lock), or to the boat next to you (if not), when locking through.

Most require that you switch your engine off, (though some waive this, particularly if not sharing a lock), so the only control you have is through the ropes.  WE didn't try it but it seems they are often not keen on you using a centre line, making it difficult for single handers.

Going "uphill" may challenge your "throwing a loop of rope and getting it around a bollard at first attempt" skills - one of the reasons I feel going "downhill" is easier.

Yep that is all true.  I have seen lock keepers make single handers stand on the lock side with a centre line and a bow line round bollards so they are using 2 ropes.

10 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

The first two points are strict rules laid down by the Thames regulations for good safety reasons. Some lockies have given up as they get a lot of abuse from some narrowboaters who 'know better'. I was in Boulters' Lock some years ago with a stroppy visitor who refused to fix both ends as 'requested'. The lockie  - wanting no more abuse started to empty the lock and the idiot's boat was thrown everywhere, but the clown went on his way - still arguing. Some rules have a good reason... 

If you're single-handing through a manned lock it is still two ropes required going up, but a centre rope can be used going down with the lockie's agreement. Whilst some go up in an unmanned lock with only a centre rope, I wouldn't.

Watch out for the locks with side sluices - Bell Weir, Romney and Hambledon. Definitely two ropes going up, or your boat will tip at an alarming angle.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Yep that is all true.  I have seen lock keepers make single handers stand on the lock side with a centre line and a bow line round bollards so they are using 2 ropes.

The rules are there for a good reason; even a centre rope and one other is reasonable, but IMHO not optimal. Even when working downhill the boat can swing at either end with only a centre rope. We always use both lines even when alone in the lock; too may occasions when we find the boat is not quite as accessible as we thought when leaving...

The tidal bit is pretty straightforward. If you want to plan your locking times see here - you want to leave Brentford as soon as you can, when the lock opens (2 hours before High Water at Brentford/Teddington), so that the last of the flood tide pushes you up to Teddington.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/original/35069-thames-lock-brentford-availability-2018.pdf

It's a good idea to let the Brentford lockkeeper know you are coming, and out of core hours you definitely need to book in advance

8 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

We're near Rickmansworth at the moment, on our way to Brentford. We're looking to pick up a PLA Thames certificate for a month, cruising towards Oxford, eventually getting onto the Oxford Canal. 

The Thames is new to us, though we have done the Calder & Hebble, and the Aire & Calder last summer - we're hoping there's not much difference, except maybe bigger locks and challenges.

Am I right in saying the part of the Thames we'll be cruising is not tidal, therefore we don't need to dig out our anchor?

What's the chances of the Thames being in flood during April / May?

Does anyone have advice how mooring access and facilities work?

Do we need different keys, or other implements? (We got caught out with the 'spike' needed on the Aire and Calder).

What about red/green navigation lights, are they obligatory?

Any advice would really be appreciated. 

You can monitor the River Thames levels / flows via the Environment Agency website (Google 'River Thames Conditions') which gives a reach by reach indication from Teddington lock to upstream of St. John's lock - updated daily.

I am due to move my boat from Reading to Oxford during the second week of April, and at the moment the river is still lively but streams are mostly decreasing :captain:

I'll add another handy location for shopping; at Maidenhead there's a Co-op next to the road bridge; you can moor for free a few hundred yards upstream of it, halfway to Boulter's lock.

I don't wear posh clothes for the Thames, partly because I'm often doing it on the coal boats. In a lock I can find myself standing on the bow scruffily dressed holding the line round a bollard and T stud to help keep 70 tons of boats+coal steady against the wall, while by contrast a few feet in front of me there are people on some plastic boat dressed up as if for a posh dinner; suits, posh frocks and high heels, sipping champagne, that sort of thing. That's the fun of the Thames.

1 hour ago, Peter X said:

I'll add another handy location for shopping; at Maidenhead there's a Co-op next to the road bridge; you can moor for free a few hundred yards upstream of it, halfway to Boulter's lock.

I don't wear posh clothes for the Thames, partly because I'm often doing it on the coal boats. In a lock I can find myself standing on the bow scruffily dressed holding the line round a bollard and T stud to help keep 70 tons of boats+coal steady against the wall, while by contrast a few feet in front of me there are people on some plastic boat dressed up as if for a posh dinner; suits, posh frocks and high heels, sipping champagne, that sort of thing. That's the fun of the Thames.

add that the plastic boat owners are always looking very nervous in case your steel boat squashes their boat

Can't believe the fantastic response here! Thank you all so much!

On a journey (where we've not been to before) I make a journey plan, and everything here is being logged so we keep up with each step (or swish of the tiller), and act accordingly. 

If something crops up; like Arnie, 'I'll be back!' B):):clapping: 

30 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

On a journey (where we've not been to before) I make a journey plan, and everything here is being logged so we keep up with each step (or swish of the tiller), and act accordingly. 

Glad to be of service! As (we were) confirmed canalers we discovered the Thames by accident and realised that it wasn't the ogre that folks thought. Take your time - as you clearly plan to do; there's a helluva lot nearby that's worth visiting and which is not obvious from guides, or which don't seem obviously 'nice' from the river view.

Don't treat the lockies as just functionaries, most of the 'residents' are very knowledgeable about the River and (not unreasonably) - their locality. If you are polite and greet them, you should get a response (some are hard work - but worth warming up). In general they appreciate NBs because 'we' keep the River alive in the off season and also we handle our boats better that the umm - plastic  boats.

I was about to go on, but The Management has required my attention....  

13 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

I echo that. Some really useful information which, together with answers I received in a thread a few months ago,  will greatly help and enhance our trip as well when we go up the Thames from Limehouse to Lechlade in July.

Thanks to you all.

2 hours ago, Grassman said:

I echo that. Some really useful information which, together with answers I received in a thread a few months ago,  will greatly help and enhance our trip as well when we go up the Thames from Limehouse to Lechlade in July.

Thanks to you all.

Oooo - July 'congestion' at Henley

4th - 8th Henley Royal Regatta.   River narrowed and all traffic diverted down one side. A challenge at the best of times, but made worse by some idiots in large cruisers behaving badly. Believe fireworks on the Saturday and you can moor to the booms for free after rowing has ended.

11th - 15th.

Henley music festival can moor to the booms (as above) nightly fireworks

20th - 22nd

Traditional boat rally with some beautifully restored boats. Booms all gone / going but can moor to the bank for a fee. Water taxi may be available. Well worth the entrance fee.  

1 hour ago, Peter X said:

Something which may affect the OP, or anyone who's passing through Oxford at the time, is the University's Summer Eights week, 18 May and 23-26 May. This will mean delays between Iffley Lock and Folly Bridge.

It's usually a minor inconvenience. There's usually  a gap between races. Whereas boaters usually keep to the centre (or whatever the instructions from EA are), the crews are a law unto themselves - and don't follow any rules - so you run the risk of an eight suddenly cutting across in front of you. Sound your horn and shout at the cox.

All good fun - if you don't lose your bottle. There should be shore side marshals (pretty ineffective) and an EA launch to help...

@OldGoat

Thank you for your earlier recommendation with regard to The River Thames Book by Chris Cove-Smith.  I purchased a new one from Amazon which arrived today.  A very quick browse reveals lots of useful information.  An example is with regard to entering the Thames via Brentford.  Lock times dependent on tides etc and where to find such detail.  I realise all this info has been mentioned previously on this site but having it all in one place is brill.

My only issue will be the shed load of rubbish at the top of the Hanwell flight of locks.  I saw a photo online the other day.  It’s an absolute disgrace and I am not pointing the finger blame at CRT but the locals.  It looked to me like they use the canal as a dumping ground!

Once again, many thanks for the recommendation and I will be reading it this evening.  Having lived close to the Thames for some 40 years I love it together with the little towns on its banks and the views.  I can’t wait to explore it in our NB.

On 28/03/2018 at 21:39, pete harrison said:

You can monitor the River Thames levels / flows via the Environment Agency website (Google 'River Thames Conditions') which gives a reach by reach indication from Teddington lock to upstream of St. John's lock - updated daily.

I am due to move my boat from Reading to Oxford during the second week of April, and at the moment the river is still lively but streams are mostly decreasing :captain:

My trip from Reading to Oxford (then on to the Midlands) next week is starting to look dodgy as the Thames is subject to red boards throughout again :banghead:

27 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

My trip from Reading to Oxford (then on to the Midlands) next week is starting to look dodgy as the Thames is subject to red boards throughout again :banghead:

We share your frustration.

Plans having had to be aborted for the Easter gathering at the Port, in the lesser time now available, we thought we might instead try going down onto the Thames, (also next week).

Can't see it happening now. :(

They Wey is currently all red from Godalming to Thames Lock. Fairly unusual as even the canalised (no river Wey flowing in/out) sections are on red.

OP be aware the Brent can rise very quickly. We had lets say an interesting time on it after a cloudburst.

Edited by mark99

Here's a useful site on the Thames tideway. Brentford to/from Teddington is pretty straightforward.
http://www.thamescruising.co.uk/wordpress/

You can plan your trip using the lock opening times here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/our-regions/london-waterways/locks-to-the-river-thames

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/original/35069-thames-lock-brentford-availability-2018.pdf

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Don’t forget that if you are running out of supplies you can always get Tesco’s, or one of the others, to do a delivery to your boat, you will need a post code. 

As others have said there are plenty of FREE moorings on the none tilde Thames just keep your eyes open. Enjoy.

On 30/03/2018 at 18:21, pete harrison said:

With the Thames being on Red Boards throughout, and going over here and there and with more rain forecast my trip has just been postponed until early May - very frustrating :captain: