WiFi snaring methods (How to suck WIFI into your NB)

quovadis

Featured Posts

How can you "suck" wifi into your boat.  The 2 systems I have been able to find are a Kuma wifi repeater(170-00) and Solwise Patriot/3000 Router & Bracket Kit (110-00)  Does any one know anything about these products and if so how do they perform

Not particularly helpful, but -

Solwise kit is usually reliable and good quality generally. I've known them for a very long time and they've always been very helpful.

Doesn't answer your question directly - that is is does it do your job. Sorry!

I could be (and probably am) wrong, but I think wifi repeaters lower the signal. So if the repeater gets the signal at 75%, by the time you get the signal it'd be about 50%.

When I need wifi for a tablet/laptop I use my mobile phone in tether mode. Most Android phones have this, and it lets your phone become a wifi hotspot. You choose a name, and password then broadcast. Your laptop/tablet can then find the hotspot (you made) and connect to it. It's not the fastest method, but more than enough for checking some emails, or to browse the interwebs. Obviously, it's not good for streaming Prime/Netflix in HD!

14 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

I could be (and probably am) wrong, but I think wifi repeaters lower the signal. So if the repeater gets the signal at 75%, by the time you get the signal it'd be about 50%.

Minus another 50% for the VPN.:D

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Solwise wifi / 3g-4g router mentioned and together with an exterior "rocket"aerial it all works pretty well.

The aerial has a usb connection that can either go directly into a lpatop etc or into the router then it will broadcast inside the boat so ipads and phones/tablets can pick it up.

I disagree that the signal is degraded...I am on a marina and pickup there wifi at full signal....it all depends 0n proximity to the mast and what other signal traffic might interfere...(i.e.other boats routers)

Note the aerial I mentioned has now been replaced by the patriot.

Overall the solwise was cheaper but it is 2.4gz ( I think) whereas the kuma has also 5 something teccy.

You pays ya money you takes ya choice !  :-)

Hope that is helpful

On 28/03/2018 at 13:46, ronnietucker said:

Obviously, it's not good for streaming Prime/Netflix in HD!

I used to use a Samsung S3 with Three's One Plan and it was fine for streaming all kinds of video. I now have a Three data Sim in a netgear Mifi and stream Netflix and Amazon prime, as well as Sky Sports and BT Sport, via Virgin Media.

Occasionally I use my iphone 6 as a hotspot for tethering, and watch video to a limited degree. I have a Plusnet SIM in my phone

We've got the solwise wifi and it works great in the marina .....but out on the cut... a waste of time. All the pubs restrict their speed and stop you streaming. I always revert to my 4G router when out and about. Maybe sometime never, villages will create their own wifi networks but it is pretty poor out there. Stick with 4G except in marinas.

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I am on BT at home so can use BT hotspots, if I moor near houses there is often one on BT who is transmitting and I pick that up with my Solwise Rocket plugged into my laptop

I have a BT account as well but the hotspots are always very slow...hence we go to 4G....unless you have any tips to speed the hotspots up?

30 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I have a BT account as well but the hotspots are always very slow...hence we go to 4G....unless you have any tips to speed the hotspots up?

That is a problem, but when I want to upload a load of stuff I just let it go

• Happy 1

I have got the Kuma kit, and have used it in a motorhome and on the boat.  It greatly improves wifi range with an external aerial, and gives you a router, so enables multiple devices to use one connection.  So on campsites, or in marinas where you are paying per connection it is worthwhile, but you maybe limited on speed by the provider.  Out on the cut it is pretty useless unless you are in a city centre, and can subscribe to a nearby wifi service. As others have said, any "free" wifi is likely to be slow as a slow thing.

When cruising, we use a Three Homefi, and an external aerial which is infinitely better, and faster. Mobile broadband is the way to go.

• Greenie 1

Thanks all to date, keep the comments coming as these things change all the time.   Here is a "googlie" about 2.4 v 5GHz

The primary differences between the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz wireless frequencies are range and bandwidth. 5GHz provides faster data rates at a shorter distance. 2.4GHzoffers coverage for farther distances, but may perform at slower speeds.

Just now, zimmer4me said:

That's good to know...I have not

used a wireless mouse in years as I found the batteries never lasted that long.

I guess there may be other things that conflict but as yet have had no problem's. 

My wireless mouse takes one AA battery,which lasts approx 6 months with extensive daily use.

For many years I used a Hawking but there appears to be no software updates for W10. I works perfectly with ubuntu, without any program!

So we gave up and got an EE dongle. Once you have bought it, a monthly rolling contract is now only £15 a month for 30Gb an a special deal. It suits us as we can scrap the contract for the months we are away over winter. Reception is good everywhere we have been with it, its fast enough to stream movies.

27 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

So we gave up and got an EE dongle. Once you have bought it, a monthly rolling contract is now only £15 a month for 30Gb an a special deal. It suits us as we can scrap the contract for the months we are away over winter. Reception is good everywhere we have been with it, its fast enough to stream movies.

We have a similar set-up with a Three (Huawei D-30A) Mi-Fi which seems ok for movies.