Retired lady narrow boat owner seeks boating companion

Lesley_boats

Featured Posts

49 minutes ago, Lesley_boats said:

I have two dogs Rufus and Milo. Rufus is 9 years old and a large standard poodle. A unkempt one not groomed with pom-poms and top knots. He is still not sure about being on a moving boat but is quite resigned and can be found chilling out on his bed. Milo on the other hand is a small Havanese and has yet to experience his first boat trip. Rufus and Milo make an odd couple but are good friends. Both are quite chilled out.

I had no idea what a Havanese was so I googled! I think you may have a box of frogs there :) 

4-runforward.jpg

• Love 1

Yes took some photos. Scratches did consume my life for a while but as the months on the boat went by I came to realise the whole experience transcended the scratches. Also the reality that it is steel and in water and the battle against rust starts from day one in the water.

So have you had many trips on narrowboats?

Havanese are great dogs. Cuban national dog. I had never heard of them until I met a lady with one when in Stratford last year. They are bright not yappy and have great characters. I thought small legs might be better on the boat!

2 minutes ago, Lesley_boats said:

So have you had many trips on narrowboats?

No - none. I've had a love of canals and narrowboats since I was small, but I spent most of my growing up time where we had rivers not canals - and a fair bit of sea too.

When I first started lurking around here it never crossed my mind that I might buy a narrowboat - but the more I trawled through the archives of this site the more it seemed that it might actually be posable - so I have me a little plan and I'm very slowly working towards it. 

I once started a thread to find a female boater to do some navigating with, nothing sinister, even stating she had to have own boat, be fit enough to do locks etc, in turn.  Got several replies........all from blokes, lol.

Result? I'd fancied doing the Leeds Liverpool but couldn't face all those swing bridges.....so just did another waterway, no hardship.

5 hours ago, Tumshie said:

Us gurls are a tad outnumbered on here could that be why, maybe?:)

I don't think that gurls are outnumbered (certainly not among readers even if they are among contributors) 

I suspect that many gurls fit into one of these categories:

1. Do not feel they have relevant experience to add to a thread 
  2. Do not feel they have relevant qualifications to add to a thread
  3. Do not feel their relevant experience and qualification will be taken seriously by a small proportion of the membership
  4. Spend their time reading and learning so that when they do feel ready to contribute they won't be spouting nonsense

Unlike a proportion of the non-gurls ;) 

Edited by cheshire~rose
  • Greenie 4

1 minute ago, cheshire~rose said:

I don't think that gurls are outnumbered (certainly not among readers even if they are among contributors) 

I suspect that many gurls fit into one of these categories:

1. Do not feel they have relevant experience to add to a thread 
  2. Do not feel they have relevant qualifications to add to a thread
  3. Do not feel their relevant experience and qualification will be taken seriously by a small proportion of the membership
  4. Spend their time reading and learning so that when they do feel ready to contribute they won't be spouting nonsense
  5. Unlike a proportion of the non-gurls ;) 

I think that is probably quite true, unfortunately. I was reading on here for over a year before I made my first post and then it was over a year again before I made my second post - I'm a bit shy. :blush:

8 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I think that is probably quite true, unfortunately. I was reading on here for over a year before I made my first post and then it was over a year again before I made my second post - I'm a bit shy. :blush:

The shy ones are the worst (or best) lol....

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

That will make no sense when I change into my new outfit on Friday.

I know - but how much of what I say make much sense once you've changed your outfit.

I'm a boring fart I ware the something every day. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tumshie

2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I know - but how much of what I say make much sense once you've changed your outfit.

I'm a boring fart I ware the something every day. :rolleyes:

True.

Maybe you should exchange your potatoe skin for a turnip:giggles: