Retired lady narrow boat owner seeks boating companion

Lesley_boats

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The bit I don't get is how all these secret lady boaters manage to steer their boats without a man to tell them how they are doing it wrong.

It envolves womansplaining.

It requires a teapot, some tea bags and lots of chocolate biscuits. 

8 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I haven't!! But I'm having a discreet giggle also. 

:)

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It envolves womansplaining.

It requires a teapot, some tea bags and lots of chocolate biscuits. 

It's amazing what you can accomplish after a good pot of tea. :apple:

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The bit I don't get is how all these secret lady boaters manage to steer their boats without a man to tell them how they are doing it wrong.

...or which way to point it!

23 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Run out of greenies agin!

Have a giggle instead 

:giggles:

There is a serious lack of greenies today. I ran out at 8.30am. Are we being rationed? Something must be afoot?

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

There is a serious lack of greenies today. I ran out at 8.30am. Are we being rationed? Something must be afoot?

I thought it was because I was a bit liberal with greenie treats yesterday - starting at about the same time I sat down at my computer to get some work done. :o

8 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I thought it was because I was a bit liberal with greenie treats yesterday - starting at about the same time I sat down at my computer to get some work done. :o

Getting work done is not a good idea. That sounds it could lead to complications....like not keeping up with all the threads....and not knowing if that duck outside your window is infectious.

9 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Getting work done is not a good idea. That sounds it could lead to complications....like not keeping up with all the threads....and not knowing if that duck outside your window is infectious.

:cheers:

While all of that's very true and valid, the down side is that the more time I spend on here the less time I have making the stuff that I need to save so I can buy my boat and get out on the water to find my very own duck.

The more I post through the day the more it means I don't want to be doing what I should be doing.:giggles:

1 minute ago, Onewheeler said:

There's also a facebook coven called Women on Boats. The WOBs strike fear into the Blokes on Boats (BOBS). Both require approval or gender-testing or something.

I know a bit about Bobs.

Rusty, that gender testing sounds a bit dodgy?

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I know a bit about Bobs.

Rusty, that gender testing sounds a bit dodgy?

Wot about WOB's?

I missed that test when the doctor came calling.

Just now, Tumshie said:

:unsure: Okay.

Or find yerself a BOB or a WOB that already has one:D

• Horror 1

Thanks for your inputs. As someone new to this kind of forum I have been taken a little by surprise! Wasn't sure as to the best kind of wording for the post but it seems to have attracted some lively discussion. Simply looking for a companion to share my love of boating and who will help me to realise my wish to go out on the boat this year which had been planned but unfortunately has been thwarted. I do have my dogs and some experience but neither will be sufficient for me to handle the boat on my own - yet!

So any input will be gratefully received.

As you can see Lesley, there are plenty of jokers who frequent this place and the banter is generally very friendly and well meant.

Equally each of those who has added to this thread will have some expertise in some area which may or may not involve boats but we all have our strengths and weaknesses and it is good to have folks you can ask when you are unsure of something.

What sort of dogs do you have?

Perhaps Tumshie could come and crew for you until she can afford her boat?

I have two dogs Rufus and Milo. Rufus is 9 years old and a large standard poodle. A unkempt one not groomed with pom-poms and top knots. He is still not sure about being on a moving boat but is quite resigned and can be found chilling out on his bed. Milo on the other hand is a small Havanese and has yet to experience his first boat trip. Rufus and Milo make an odd couple but are good friends. Both are quite chilled out.

7 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Perhaps Tumshie could come and crew for you until she can afford her boat?

Thank you, Cheshire-Rose, It would be wonderful to have that opportunity, I'm a dog person too and love to hear a dog story. I have a Border Collie who is quite bonkers.

My dog isn't yet ready for boat life - he had a bit of a tumble and it's left him a bit disabled in his front leg. He is recovering well but the poor boy keeps tripping over his poorly paw. He's fine in flat open ground but it worries me when we are down the canal - I have a harness on order so I'll be able to pull him out if he plops in by accident.

Hi Tumshie a border collie in the mix would be an interesting combination. I used to have three standards but unfortunately lost two in the last two years.

I see you are saving for a boat. I must admit I feel very lucky to have been able to watch my boat being built. It was a great experience and I learnt a lot. Do you manage to get out on trips during the year?

13 minutes ago, Lesley_boats said:

Hi Tumshie a border collie in the mix would be an interesting combination. I used to have three standards but unfortunately lost two in the last two years.

I see you are saving for a boat. I must admit I feel very lucky to have been able to watch my boat being built. It was a great experience and I learnt a lot. Do you manage to get out on trips during the year?

I'm based up near Inverness and I don't get back down the road as often as I would like, we don't have any narrowboats on the Caledonian Canal, but there is no shortage of other boats. It must be wonderful to go through the whole adventure of planing and building. You must be very proud of her. :D

E.T.A I have seen a widebeam or two every now and then just no narrow ones.

Edited by Tumshie

You live in a wonderful place. I have tried to make it up there at least once every year. My favourite place is Crinan and enjoy walking with the dogs along the canal.

The boat building experience was a great one. Although it did take a long time. The steel hull was completed comparatively quickly but the fitting out took months and months and months. I am proud of her and on her maiden trip had to cope with getting used to the bumps and scratches that were bound to happen as we negotiated the network and met other boats. She is not new anymore but I have developed an affection for her.

2 minutes ago, Lesley_boats said:

You live in a wonderful place. I have tried to make it up there at least once every year. My favourite place is Crinan and enjoy walking with the dogs along the canal.

The boat building experience was a great one. Although it did take a long time. The steel hull was completed comparatively quickly but the fitting out took months and months and months. I am proud of her and on her maiden trip had to cope with getting used to the bumps and scratches that were bound to happen as we negotiated the network and met other boats. She is not new anymore but I have developed an affection for her.

Wonderful. It would take me a while to get over wanting to stop and check the paintwork every time I bumped something.:D Did you get the chance to take lots of photos as she was being built and fitted, I always think it must be nice to have that record.