how much to replate a narrowboat...?

Wittenham

Featured Posts

to update you all, I bought the Agenda 21 butty.  Thanks again for the insights.

It has been sitting there for eight years.  Does it need to go to a yard for inspection this year or can I wait?  [also, what colour is that piece of string.........?]

• Happy 1

On 27/03/2018 at 16:27, Alan de Enfield said:

But 'aint it nice when your resigned yourself to an overplate, you've budgeted for an overplate and you don't need one "hooray £8000 more to spend on batteries"

Thats about right for a set of Lions:icecream:

11 minutes ago, Wittenham said:

to update you all, I bought the Agenda 21 butty.  Thanks again for the insights.

It has been sitting there for eight years.  Does it need to go to a yard for inspection this year or can I wait?  [also, what colour is that piece of string.........?]

Personally I would try to dock it as soon as reasonably possible to high pressure wash it and repaint it with whatever it has been painted with, that is reasonable maintanace, then if something looked scary I would find the nastiest looking pits or corrosion, employ a welder to drill a few holes and measure the thickness and get them welded up and plan the next move. By the way, that piece of string will be black and tarry when you've finished.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Wittenham said:

What is your attitude to risk?

One of my boats had not been out of the water for 25 years when I bought it. Mind you it sprang a decent leak three years later after getting an A1 hull survey!

Loads of boats haven't been out for 8 years. I wouldn't stress about it unless it beginning to leak would kill you financially. Just get a bilge pump and a solar panel and you're prolly fine to leave it another year or two. 

Attending it every day (e.g. living on it) reduces the risk substantially. Leaving it unattended for months on end is asking for trouble.

Sinkings rarely happen fast and catastrophically (except in locks). Leaks usually give you plenty of slow warning.

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What is your attitude to risk?

One of my boats had not been out of the water for 25 years when I bought it. Mind you it sprang a decent leak three years later after getting an A1 hull survey!

Loads of boats haven't been out for 8 years. I wouldn't stress about it unless it beginning to leak would kill you financially. Just get a bilge pump and a solar panel and you're prolly fine to leave it another year or two. 

Attending it every day (e.g. living on it) reduces the risk substantially. Leaving it unattended for months on end is asking for trouble.

Sinkings rarely happen fast and catastrophically (except in locks). Leaks usually give you plenty of slow warning.

thanks Mike, that is what I wanted to hear.  I am ok with the risk and will get a working bilge pump.

If it was mine I would get it out now to check the hull sides and base plate then if all ok black it , then you will feel comfortable spending loads of money doing the inside and painting the outside, but if it turns out to need more money spent on the hull than its worth you can look for another boat to replace it.

Neil

• Greenie 1

Congratulations on becoming a boater, and in at the deep end too. The waterline usually suffers most from lack of routine blacking and that will be visible, especially if you can lean the boat over a bit. If you take the boat out of the water and find it in urgent need of repairs have you got the funds and a plan of action ready? Maybe wait a little while, but don't start doing an expensive refit till you know the hull is sound.

If you have a long piece of string you could teach yourself to tie decorative knots.

............Dave

On 28/03/2018 at 12:55, Wittenham said:

Serious question:  what actually happens to boats when they are beyond economic repair?  Other than sell them to Londoners to be used for airBnB, that is...

re: the photos.... i am cringing slightly in anticipation of the comments on the [asking] price. 

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=559533

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=559533 

A Dartline?