GUCCC big boats

fittie

Featured Posts

2 things really.

1. did the big boats have ladders in the engine 'ole - I know that the little boats did but what about the large Northwiches?

and

2. did the big boats have the small step on both sides of the cabin side?

cheers

fittie

1 hour ago, fittie said:

2 things really.

1. did the big boats have ladders in the engine 'ole - I know that the little boats did but what about the large Northwiches?

and

2. did the big boats have the small step on both sides of the cabin side?

cheers

fittie

Image of READING allegedly in 1938 with a visible 'small step', although the Yarwood drawing for the 'detail of engine and cabin casing' for large Northwich motors does not show these:

5aba56335bc4a_GUMBREADING19382.jpg.9ed3b5566f9861ae5551f2164dd95ca1.jpg

Interesting how far the water can overhangs the cabin - close to a point of pivot for easy filling of the kettle and kept secure by the weight of the mop.  Nowadays few would be brave enough to do this given the cost of decent cans!

Paul

1 hour ago, fittie said:

Thanks Mr Harrison, and on the chimbly side too. Do you have and info on the ladder situation? Mrs F finds it hard work exiting via the small step on the fuel tank strap.

I have no information on the ladder situation, and this problem is amplified on OTLEY as it has no ladder or tank strap step or engine room slides - especially when combined with my lack of agility :captain:

I still fill the kettle from the cans on the roof as in the picture. No point on having cans and not using them. Still on the look out for a three gal can as in the summer we do get through 4 gallons in no time and there are less taps than there used to be and when you find one some lovely person has mored on it meaning I or Mrs F has to walk miles form a mooring back to the tap and then back to the boat carrying 40lbs of water. There are a lot of people mooring on taps or and not leaving enough space for 71'6" of boat to pull in for a quick splash and dash. Can you tell I've not had a good day...

Edited by fittie
being thick

we have 2 drill holes in the too of the steel each side in the engine hole on our town class boat  ( woolwich) to take ladder. There isnothing on the tank strap. On our previous big northwich there was nothing on the tank strap but again holes in the steel between the doors. Paddington would be a good boat to look at retains original cabin.

6 hours ago, Paul H said:

Interesting how far the water can overhangs the cabin - close to a point of pivot for easy filling of the kettle and kept secure by the weight of the mop.  Nowadays few would be brave enough to do this given the cost of decent cans!

Paul

Do you think the dog is chained to the can?  If can and dog get swept of roof it could easily retrieve it.............oh hang on it looks more like a german shepherd than a retriever so maybe not!

Had the ladders been there on TYCHO, I think I would have found them an encumbrance with the bulky PD3. The air trunking would stop access the other side too. Much easier with a lump of 4" x 4" piece of angle iron dropped behind the tank strap with the corners chamfered off, and a piece of ply on top for grip.

113a Engine 'ole (Medium).JPG

50 minutes ago, fittie said:

Has anyone got a picture of a ladder in a big boat's engine 'ole?

Not really, and in the previous thread on engine hole ladders most pictures are unavailable now, either because of deletion or the fact Photobucket now no longer allow their site to be used to host images free.

The closest I can find is probably Badsey, but I'm sceptical that the ladders would originally have been wooden.....

935612.jpg

https://sites.create-cdn.net/siteimages/18/6/5/186541/935614.jpg

https://sites.create-cdn.net/siteimages/18/6/5/186541/935612.jpg

Sculptor, (a "small" boat, obviously), has previously been depicted with metal steps....

16008870409_f9a5d5a9d8_z.jpg

I'm pretty convinced the original Large Northwich arrangement did include steps, as Flamingo clearly still has the mounting holes.  I would have thought it likely that the steps were similar to those in Sculptor.

IMG_1990.JPG

Edited by alan_fincher