Batteries stolen near Atherstone

Jonkx

Featured Posts

23 minutes ago, dccruiser said:

The thought i have had for my current boat is to use the really strong 12volt magnets you get off ebay ... they do some that take 280 kilos of force to open 

If the magnets you linked to are electromagnets, wouldn't they continuously use power?  I don't imagine it would be much but it would be 24/7

7 minutes ago, philjw said:

If the magnets you linked to are electromagnets, wouldn't they continuously use power?  I don't imagine it would be much but it would be 24/7

I guess it depends how much you are on the boat if you are full time like me would be negligible as they would be switched off whilst aboard 

Rick

Edited by dccruiser

18 minutes ago, dccruiser said:

I guess it depends how much you are on the boat if you are full time like me would be negligible as they would be switched off whilst aboard 

Rick

The eBay one you linked states “Consumption: 12V” which is nonsense. It might be a misprint for 12W which would mean 1A constant draw. I’ve seen others that are 500mA (0.5A). 

The simplest and most secure arrangement I’ve seen was designed by Graham Reeves. The ‘deck board’ is a steel plate, hinged at the stern with a lip at the forward end. The rear doors close up to the lip, so if the doors are closed the plate can’t be lifted. The weight of the plate is assisted by a couple of rams. 

Just now, WotEver said:

The simplest and most secure arrangement I’ve seen was designed by Graham Reeves. The ‘deck board’ is a steel plate, hinged at the stern with a lip at the forward end. The rear doors close up to the lip, so if the doors are closed the plate can’t be lifted. The weight of the plate is assisted by a couple of rams. 

That would certainly work .. i wasnt just thinking about my decking i was also thinking about my side lockers on my cruiser stern 

10 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

No, he needs the sort of hiding that he never moves again, problem solved.

While we all like to see criminals brought to justice, I trust that you do not mean this literally.

8 hours ago, philjw said:

By the time you've gone electric, it might be better to fit an electric fence.  This would not only help to keep thieves out, but it would also be a good way of keeping these little fellas onboard...

8 hours ago, WotEver said:

The weight of the plate is assisted by a couple of rams.