Batteries stolen near Atherstone

Jonkx

Featured Posts

Being serious again, just for a change, it adds another dimension to the lithium debate, don't it? Losing three or four hundred quids worth is bad enough, but several grand would be no joke at all. Would you have to declare them as exceptional items for insurance purposes?

• Greenie 1

I seem to be slowly transitioning from just accepting these things happen and that's life to getting slightly annoyed. It's the inconvenience of it all, and having to go to and forth getting new batteries, lost weekends etc.

2 hours ago, Jonkx said:

I seem to be slowly transitioning from just accepting these things happen and that's life to getting slightly annoyed. It's the inconvenience of it all, and having to go to and forth getting new batteries, lost weekends etc.

You also have the added concern that whoever nicked your batteries knows you will be replacing them with brand spanking new ones, and may well have clocked which direction you have moved the boat in. Or is that just my paranoia kicking in?

7 hours ago, Bewildered said:

You also have the added concern that whoever nicked your batteries knows you will be replacing them with brand spanking new ones, and may well have clocked which direction you have moved the boat in. Or is that just my paranoia kicking in?

Do you imagine for a moment that, just because you're paranoid, the buggers aren't still out to get you? ;)

Without incriminating myself and pointing the finger i know for a fact there was a scumbag that sailed and moored around Fazeley that was known for thieving off the local boats and even stole and scuppered a couple of boats but after a good belting from some locals he has not been seen in the Fazeley area but is know very well in these parts the last we heard of him he was mooring up around Atherstone/and Nuneaton areas i say no more sorry  :angry2: 

1 hour ago, Chas78 said:

Without incriminating myself and pointing the finger i know for a fact there was a scumbag that sailed and moored around Fazeley that was known for thieving off the local boats and even stole and scuppered a couple of boats but after a good belting from some locals he has not been seen in the Fazeley area but is know very well in these parts the last we heard of him he was mooring up around Atherstone/and Nuneaton areas i say no more sorry  :angry2: 

You could always PM anyone who may want to know. If I were in the area, I would want to know.

1 hour ago, Chas78 said:

Maybe he needs another good hiding to move him on again.

Neil

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Neil Smith said:

Maybe he needs another good hiding to move him on again.

Neil

Whilst not condoning this in any way Just make sure you are absolutely sure you have the correct boat though I heard someone outside my boat yesterday asking his mate if it was me fortunately his mate knew it wasn't and the boat (or even boats) were a few miles away.

I believe the police are aware of avenues of enquiry that may be worth pursuing, hope they prove worthwhile. In my personal  view it might be more benefical not to pursue this line of speculation further in this thread.

Difficult to word that but I think you might get my drift

Edited by reg

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Do you imagine for a moment that, just because you're paranoid, the buggers aren't still out to get you? ;)

You know about them too, it's not just my imagination, they really are out to get me; 

32 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

You know about them too, it's not just my imagination, they really are out to get me; 

Ask not "am I paranoid" but "am I paranoid enough?", especially when boating through Atherstone, seemingly. It's a stretch of canal that's had its share of problems of that sort, kids belting past on mini-motos and trailies particularly, but this is something extra. We've overnighted around there often enough, especially in the long pound two locks up from the bottom, but have usually looked for other boats nearby.

On 3/26/2018 at 19:52, tree monkey said:

Did you report this to the police? 

Theres a local boater with a reputation and he is in the area at the moment,  the police are apparently keeping an eye on him and the more information they have

Yep, he cruised past me on Saturday at hartshill, heading to atherstone.

25 minutes ago, reg said:

I am enjoying the fact that two people named Bewildered and BruceinSanity are discussing paranoia. 

I'm not enjoying the fact that there's "a boater with a reputation" (clearly code for thief) but we're so paranoid about naming him that we preserve his anonymity thus allowing him to continue to go about his naughty business. I can quite understand why, but its a strange old world. :(

17 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

I dont know his name, just his boat, face and reputation.

And one of the problems is that his last boat had a resonably common name and I remember a FB post go completely paranoid with people worried that boatx was moored near them.

All I know is stories and supposition, no real facts, mind you I did see some coppers get very excited when told he was in the area

1 hour ago, reg said:

I am enjoying the fact that two people named Bewildered and BruceinSanity are discussing paranoia. 

Now I'm really getting paranoid, people are talking about me talking about paranoia:blink:

probably talking behind my back also

When we were moored on the Middlewich Arm I was told by text to watch people on a particular boat. A Father and son team. I spotted the boat and the occupants. I kept an eye on them.

A couple of days later we were out with the dogs and it started hammering it down with hail the size of medicine balls, or a little smaller perhaps. As we passed said boat the hatch opened and they insisted we sheltered onboard. To say we accepted reluctantly is a bit of an understatement. Anyway, nice cup of tea, biscuits and friendly chat later we left seemingly friends. We had no issues at all and to be honest didn't hear of any instances involving 'this boat'. I'm not saying they were squeaky clean but I guess they were 'okay'. I have to admit I was on my guard with personal info. They made our dogs most welcome. I would trust anyone to a point but I hasten to add that I keep an eye on whoever until I'm satisfied they're okay.There's not many nasties on the waterways. Sadly there are some. If there are suspicions of wrong doing there's no harm in being discrete about there whereabouts. If there's proof of wrongdoing then be careful but let others know. I was involved in an adult fight once and it took along time to get over it. What I'm saying is don't provoke anything. 

Im a squinnie really. Don't like nor want confrontation. 

Stay happy and enjoy.

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Happy 1

Lets hope the battery thief gets caught by the police and they come down on him "with a tonne of batteries" It would be nice if he is found with them or other stolen goods. The other issue is sentencing is too lenient. Always seem to get a suspended sentence.

I hate thieves.  If I want something I work, save up, like the majority of people.

James:)

Edited by canals are us?

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Look, I've just told you I'm Bewildered. Maybe you're Sea Dog? Or just think you are - that might be a symptom of paranoia...

Surely that would be a symptom of schizophrenia? Sorry didn't mean to call you Shirley and add to someone else's schizophrenia problems.

On 3/27/2018 at 15:01, Jen-in-Wellies said:

How about using one, or two car boot/bonnet/tailgate catches to hold the deck boards on? The latch and striker plate could be hidden under the deck boards and the remote release cables fed through to the cabin so you could only pull the releases with access to the interior. Easy to open if you are on board and need to turn off the isolator switches in a hurry, but would need a crow bar to break in to otherwise. Cheap to get from scrap cars. To replace the deck boards just drop them down and they lock automagically.

Jen

Not a bad idea, i had a previous boat that had a system like that fitted the lever was in the external control box which had a locked steel door over it when not in use.

Rick