Batteries stolen near Atherstone

Jonkx

Featured Posts

Not a nice post to write, but when I got back to my boat yesterday near Atherstone I found the batteries had been stolen. All 3 domestics plus the starter. I was moored near the bottom of Atherstone Locks, close to Bradley Green. 

Annoying, obviously and expensive as someone felt entitled to my batteries. 

Thank you to the very kind boaters nearby who tried to help me, and offered encouragement. Special thank you to Tony from Starline Boats who very kindly came out with a replacement starter battery, so I could get moving. 

As an added bonus, I managed to step in a dog turd mooring later on in the day in Atherstone. I'm looking forward to the spell of good luck... 

Anyways, please be warned. 

1 minute ago, Jonkx said:

I'm a cruiser stern so I'm afraid it's easy to get in an nab the batteries. So some form of increased security, locking deck panels etc, is next on the list. As well as new batteries... :mellow:

Maybe rig up something by way of a trap involving that dog turd you're wearing - every cloud has a silver lining! :D

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

Feel for you. Last thing you'd expect to have stolen is all your batteries. There's some real scum about. 

But, you think you have had a bad day. My forty odd year old son, took his son to okay football. Coming out of the car park the clutch went on his Focus. Two hours later the RAC arrived, towed him to local garage. That's going to cost. Episode two, it's his birthday next week, his wife thought she'd buy him a Linnie Parekeet. The breeder is in Sandy, son lives near Portsmouth ish! No car so he and wife go off in his work van. Stuck in traffic on M25. Broken down lorry etc. Pick up the bird. Calls me to say his power steeering gone. Decides to carry on, it's an old van, phones me again an hour later and he smells hot rubber. Suggest he looks under bonnet. No belt. Gone. Carey's on, ignition light comes on. He's hacked off and carries on. Breaks down completely two miles from home. Taxi. Bird in new home and okay. This has taken all day. He has a really busy week ahead with work in Kent,Sussex and Hampshire.

sorry to hijack your thread, just needed to sound off. Probably get hassle for thread nicking.

It's the world we live in nowadays. There are those that have no respect for other peoples possessions. Some berk has realised you can get forty quid for a battery at the scrappies. Or maybe, perhaps another boater down on his/her luck with duff batteries.

• Happy 1

That’s sickening.  You work your butt off to pay for goods and some scum bag decides they will have them for free.  It would be nice to think they did their back in moving them or they got some battery acid in their eyes!

It was good of people to try and assist which kind of shows the other side of humanity.

• Happy 1

19 hours ago, Jonkx said:

Not a nice post to write, but when I got back to my boat yesterday near Atherstone I found the batteries had been stolen. All 3 domestics plus the starter. I was moored near the bottom of Atherstone Locks, close to Bradley Green. 

Annoying, obviously and expensive as someone felt entitled to my batteries. 

Thank you to the very kind boaters nearby who tried to help me, and offered encouragement. Special thank you to Tony from Starline Boats who very kindly came out with a replacement starter battery, so I could get moving. 

As an added bonus, I managed to step in a dog turd mooring later on in the day in Atherstone. I'm looking forward to the spell of good luck... 

Anyways, please be warned. 

Got iced in pretty near to the spot you mention at Atherstone some year's back and whilst away from the boat had a bicycle stolen. When I returned the scrotes were just about to make off with a second cycle. Both were securely locked to the boat but that didn't prevent the theft and attempted theft. It's left me with a bad feeling about the place so I can certainly identify with your feelings Jonkx.

6 hours ago, Dave123 said:

very sad to hear about this, especially as I have always had Atherstone on my list of favourite/safest moorings spots. Glad you have been able to get on the move again!

Don't know if it's significant but there weren't any boats moored that near me. Guess that proves the old adage that it's better to moor in the company of others. 

(that said it seemed like such a quiet, rural spot!) 

Possibly the moorings at the top are safer? 

Edited by Jonkx
Edit to add maybe moorings at the top are safer.

23 minutes ago, Jonkx said:

Don't know if it's significant but there weren't any boats moored that near me. Guess that proves the old adage that it's better to moor in the company of others. 

(that said it seemed like such a quiet, rural spot!) 

Possibly the moorings at the top are safer? 

Did you report this to the police? 

Theres a local boater with a reputation and he is in the area at the moment,  the police are apparently keeping an eye on him and the more information they have

10 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Did you report this to the police? 

Theres a local boater with a reputation and he is in the area at the moment,  the police are apparently keeping an eye on him and the more information they have

Thanks Tree Monkey, yes I've reported it to the police using their online forms. Awaiting a response but will mention it when they do. Sounds significant. 

Maybe worth painting your new batteries say bright pink ???? also a code number underneath So if suspect is found let them described his batteries. Just a thought, sorry to hear about your problems scum  every where hope you soon sorted,

1 hour ago, oats said:

Maybe worth painting your new batteries say bright pink ???? also a code number underneath So if suspect is found let them described his batteries. Just a thought, sorry to hear about your problems scum  every where hope you soon sorted,

Maybe we should all discretely monogram our batteries?  Except NN of course whose batteries will transmit their location when stolen back to him. (Can a can bus boat do this?)

8 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Maybe we should all discretely monogram our batteries?  Except NN of course whose batteries will transmit their location when stolen back to him. (Can a can bus boat do this?)

I filled mine with smartwater. 

A Palamine filled his with that de-zionised water. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

Sorry to hear your experience.

There's been a couple of thieving herberts around Atherstone for a while now.  A few years ago they were quite busy down the Ashby but after people got sick of them they moved a bit further north.

The usual MO was boat through on one boat, nick whatever was to hand, then boat off and drop the nicked property onto the other boat within a few hours, and meet someone with a van at a convenient road bridge (normally in Nuneaton) later in the day.

Edited by Rose Narrowboats
  • Happy 1