BSS Rant

larryjc

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thank you for the reminder - I plead "old age".

Plea accepted.  I think I was mixing up both incidents too, but you did post them only minutes apart 2 months ago.

The Lake George fire had 15 US gallons of petrol pumped into the boat, then caught fire.  Later the fire department found that the fuel tank was not full and not breached - which they think means the pump attendant must have pumped the fuel into the wrong hole.

It seems it might have been a rod holder fitting rather than the water tank, so all the petrol went in the bilges.  Even decent blowers would struggle to shift 55 litres of petrol in a few minutes.

Edited by TheBiscuits
wrong numbers.

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Plea accepted.  I think I was mixing up both incidents too, but you did post them only minutes apart 2 months ago.

The Lake George fire had 15 US gallons of petrol pumped into the boat, then caught fire.  Later the fire department found that the fuel tank was not full and not breached - which they think means the pump attendant must have pumped the fuel into the wrong hole.

It seems it might have been a rod holder fitting rather than the water tank, so all the petrol went in the bilges.  Even decent blowers would struggle to shift 55 litres of petrol in a few minutes.

Agreed

It seems it might have been a rod holder fitting rather than the water tank,

It didn't look much like a fishing boat, more like a cruiser, - but never say never

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Agreed

It seems it might have been a rod holder fitting rather than the water tank,

It didn't look much like a fishing boat, more like a cruiser, - but never say never

http://www.glensfallschronicle.com/sheriff-lg-boat-exploded-after-gas-pumped-into-fishing-rod-holder/

Asked about a WTEN report that the gas was mistakenly pumped into a fishing rod holder, Lt. Stockdale said, “That’s what happened. Why that [rod holder] wouldn’t have a bottom to it is beyond me.

“They have all of the entry points together, and they all look alike. And the dock attendant was instructed to put the gas there by the operator, who was acting quickly and abruptly and didn’t have much time.”

Sheriff’s Investigator Kevin Conine told the TV station, “In the far side of the boat, you have to reach across to the gas fill. It again looks just like the water and the waste fills, it’s silver, with a two-pronged key. We are unsure if this model had it labeled or not. And if it wasn’t labeled it looks just like the rest of the caps.”

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

http://www.glensfallschronicle.com/sheriff-lg-boat-exploded-after-gas-pumped-into-fishing-rod-holder/

Asked about a WTEN report that the gas was mistakenly pumped into a fishing rod holder, Lt. Stockdale said, “That’s what happened. Why that [rod holder] wouldn’t have a bottom to it is beyond me.

“They have all of the entry points together, and they all look alike. And the dock attendant was instructed to put the gas there by the operator, who was acting quickly and abruptly and didn’t have much time.”

Sheriff’s Investigator Kevin Conine told the TV station, “In the far side of the boat, you have to reach across to the gas fill. It again looks just like the water and the waste fills, it’s silver, with a two-pronged key. We are unsure if this model had it labeled or not. And if it wasn’t labeled it looks just like the rest of the caps.”

Appreciate that - thanks

I had never bothered to look for the follow up report.

Coming back to the BSS - I do not see what safety issues there are with putting fuel in a water tank, or the pump-out tank (apart from pollution) which is probably why the BSS does not require them to be marked, rather assuming that actually marking the correct one is enough to ensure the fuel goes where it should.

I don't see why it should be a big problem if anyone wants to mark them, caps are available with the range of fluids embossed / moulded into them.

Mind you - the USA manufactured ones marked "GAS" could cause some confusion as you try and pour it in from your 13kg Propane cylinder.

Image result for boat gas filler caps

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Coming back to the BSS - I do not see what safety issues there are with putting fuel in a water tank,

Until you run the taps and get neat petrol coming out with the stove lit.

Less of a danger with diesel, admittedly.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Mind you - the USA manufactured ones marked "GAS" could cause some confusion as you try and pour it in from your 13kg Propane cylinder.

Don't you just stick the bottle upside down with the nozzle in the spout? :D

33 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I seem to remember that generic markings like "Fuel" or "Gas" are not acceptable for BSS, it has to specify the type of fuel

9 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

I seem to remember that generic markings like "Fuel" or "Gas" are not acceptable for BSS, it has to specify the type of fuel

My statement was rather 'tongue in cheek'.

You are, however, correct

The specific fuel type in use must be correctly and clearly marked on or
adjacent to all fuel filling points:
• ‘DIESEL’, ‘FUEL OIL’, ‘GAS OIL’, ‘DERV’, or ‘BIODIESEL’; or,
• ‘PETROL’, or ‘GASOLINE’; or,
• ‘LPG BUTANE/PROPANE’ as appropriate; or,
• ‘PARAFFIN’; or,
• ‘PETROIL’

It clearly makes good sense to label all your "holes". My point is, why does BSS just specify the fuel filler?

i will knacker my engine putting water, petrol or whatever else other than diesel in there, but not really a safety issue is it?

However, fuel coming out of the taps is decidedly dangerous!

Anyway, I've checked on the boat and indeed, since attaching the Diesel label, it has not blown up, so it definitely works.

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Appreciate that - thanks

I had never bothered to look for the follow up report.

Coming back to the BSS - I do not see what safety issues there are with putting fuel in a water tank, or the pump-out tank (apart from pollution)  

So when you flush your toilet and if its a drop through and petrol fumes come up it doesn't matter even if you are someone who has a fag while on the loo or the macerator blades whizz round in a good old petrol fume air mix it doesn't matter ?

• Happy 1