Shiver my Timbers Liveaboard

I Spartacus

Featured Posts

You could get it into river estuaries, e.g. as far as the Pool of London if they raise Tower Bridge for you. But you'd need a good crew, I don't think this forum's Crew Swap would be the place to find them.

I notice that for tenure the ad refers potential buyers to the legal pack which is not yet available, but I'd expect that the mooring is owned by Brixham's local authority and a long term deal would be offered, probably not cheap and subject to remaining open to the public. It looks a lot of boat for the money, but I suspect that maintenance would be expensive.

4 hours ago, Peter X said:

You could get it into river estuaries, e.g. as far as the Pool of London if they raise Tower Bridge for you. But you'd need a good crew, I don't think this forum's Crew Swap would be the place to find them.

I notice that for tenure the ad refers potential buyers to the legal pack which is not yet available, but I'd expect that the mooring is owned by Brixham's local authority and a long term deal would be offered, probably not cheap and subject to remaining open to the public. It looks a lot of boat for the money, but I suspect that maintenance would be expensive.

I would suspect that if you tried to move it from Brixham harbour you'd probably get lynched. There is an International Brixham Pirate Festival every May Bank Holiday http://brixhampirates.com/   and if you sail off with their chief pirate boat they will not be happy:angry2::angry2::angry2:.

Hang on a sec, the Golden Hind wasn't a pirate boat. Drake was regarded as a pirate by the Spanish, and indeed he took a lot of treasure off their colonies in South America during his round the world voyage, but he was acting for the Crown and in England we take rather a different view of the man.

28 minutes ago, I Spartacus said:

At least it has a poop deck It makes you think why they are selling it by auction, or why someone in Brixham has not taken it over ? Makes you think how much the mooring is 

Someone in Brixham may well take it over. I’d think that’s probably the most likely scenario. Opening up the auction to all and sundry should maximise the seller’s profit. 

If they meant "heavy steel hull", it's a pretty unrealistic replica, but if it's wooden, any sensible prospective buyer would want to know the state of it and when it was last caulked and tarred. I suppose the hull would be exposed for viewing at low tide?

26 minutes ago, Peter X said:

If they meant "heavy steel hull", it's a pretty unrealistic replica, but if it's wooden, any sensible prospective buyer would want to know the state of it and when it was last caulked and tarred. I suppose the hull would be exposed for viewing at low tide?

The original replica (?) was definitely wooden when I saw it in 1987 but was certainly not seaworthy back then.

Funnily enough I saw it again in 2008 but don't recall paying any attention to it as I didn't evennotice it had been replaced.

In my defence I wasn't impressed with it first time round and there was a rather nice Sheffield Keel in the harbour which deserved greater attention.

• Greenie 1

On 26/03/2018 at 18:32, I Spartacus said:

I have been on the one in London, next to the pub, I couldn't believe how small it was. by the time we left the pub I could see two boats :) 

Perhaps the Brixham one had come for a visit...

• 4 weeks later...

An old boating mate Rob Robinson Ex " DORSET"  ex "SHED" a self converted pontoon which he bow hauled Norbury/LLangolen & back creweed on the "Golded Hind" for a period I haven't spoken to him in a while so don't know how he got on

11 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

An old boating mate Rob Robinson Ex " DORSET"  ex "SHED" a self converted pontoon which he bow hauled Norbury/LLangolen & back creweed on the "Golded Hind" for a period I haven't spoken to him in a while so don't know how he got on

I remember SHED around Lapworth in the mid 70s.