Cost of a 1979 33ft Springer

SadieF

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I find their prices are all over the place. NB BATAVIA is priced very reasonably in my opinion given its spectacular looks and pedigree. Worth ten of them Springers and barely twice the price!

http://www.braunstonmarina.co.uk/Boat-Details/batavia

I quite agree about Batavia - it's a terrific boat, meticulously fitted out.  I'd buy it like a shot if I were looking to downsize :).

Had a little look on the Duck and found these -

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=559521

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=548214

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=558609

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=540753

I think all of these are priced to be negotiated and they have engines but they might give you something ponder over.

To my mind, the mooring is the 'magic' ingredient that makes it all work.

With security of tenure, the rest falls into place, as all else is 'fixable' and under your control, at your leisure, relating to time, income, and DIY skills.

I think if I were in the OP's shoes:
I'd have damp feet, given the state of the boat!

And seriously:

Talk to the farmer who actually owns the land and try to establish that if you bought the boat you would be able to retain the mooring at its current low rent. If you aren't getting a deal from them in writing, you will have to decide how much you trust them not to kick you off the mooring or demand higher fees.

Do a bit of homework as to whether the engine could be repaired and what it would cost. If you can describe the engine and its symptoms on here there are a lot of people (not me) who could offer good advice about it.

Consider how competent you would be to patch up the interior enough to make it habitable.

Then subject to how all the above goes, maybe put in a VERY cheeky low offer for the boat without having a survey, and take a chance that it will last you some time without sinking.

Then if you do buy it, consider finding a way to get it out of the water for a hull survey, overplating if necessary (not cheap) and blacking. If you can't get the engine working enough to get to a suitable boatyard and back, then you have the options of towing, an outboard, or if it's not far maybe pole it and/or have someone strong pulling on a long bow line.

• Greenie 1

On 24/03/2018 at 15:18, rusty69 said:

Sounds like you are getting a badly maintained boat that you are having to put money into yourself,so am guessing your rent is very very cheap.

The question is, how long can you continue to live on it before the lack of maintenance becomes a serious problem?

No my rent isn't cheap enough to justify the work I put in. I'm not putting in money at present just time and organizing the work and coordinating things. I doubt anyone else would pay this.

I guess I won't know how long,til a survey is done. I might just get my friend along to measure hull thickness with his machine as don't want to spend too much. Definitely needs blacking though. This could have caused issues if left 7 years.

Edited by SadieF

8 hours ago, Peter X said:

I think if I were in the OP's shoes:
I'd have damp feet, given the state of the boat!

And seriously:

Talk to the farmer who actually owns the land and try to establish that if you bought the boat you would be able to retain the mooring at its current low rent. If you aren't getting a deal from them in writing, you will have to decide how much you trust them not to kick you off the mooring or demand higher fees.

Do a bit of homework as to whether the engine could be repaired and what it would cost. If you can describe the engine and its symptoms on here there are a lot of people (not me) who could offer good advice about it.

Consider how competent you would be to patch up the interior enough to make it habitable.

Then subject to how all the above goes, maybe put in a VERY cheeky low offer for the boat without having a survey, and take a chance that it will last you some time without sinking.

Then if you do buy it, consider finding a way to get it out of the water for a hull survey, overplating if necessary (not cheap) and blacking. If you can't get the engine working enough to get to a suitable boatyard and back, then you have the options of towing, an outboard, or if it's not far maybe pole it and/or have someone strong pulling on a long bow line.

Thanks. The engine is a bmc. Neighbour reckons we can get it going and have a fiddle around. It could just be something simple. I imagine owner just hasn't tried. 

I don't have damp feet amazingly enough. Although winter has been pretty tough and I've had a bad chest, no doubt from all the damp and rot

Edited by SadieF

5 minutes ago, SadieF said:

Although winter has been pretty tough and I've had a bad chest, no doubt from all the damp and rot

Every possibility, it certainly won't help.

Do you some ideas now about what you want to do? :)

On 24/03/2018 at 15:50, Tumshie said:

I think you're on to something.

If it's the rights to the mooring that you really want then being able to buy the poor bedraggled boat that you're on at the moment lets you keep them when you have bought the boat that you prefer.  

So the questions might then be -

1) if the guy who owns your boat is skint enough to take take a small but cash lump sum for its intrinsic value or will he haggle up the value because he knows you really want the mooring rights?

2) will the boat be habitable long enough (without you spending much/anything on it) for you to save for the type of newer boat that you wanted but couldn't get a lone for or do you want to spend time and money doing the boat up? Unless you want to do the work that the boat needs I wouldn't bother with a survey, I'd just work on the worst case scenario and hurrah if it's better than you thought.

3) what is the smallest amount you can offer and the largest the you are willing to?

Good luck :cheers:

I think offer 3k, go up to 4k. I may do informal friend survey. Definitely have to get it out for blacking anyway. Thanks for the advice

2 minutes ago, SadieF said:

I think offer 3k, go up to 4k. I may do informal friend survey. Definitely have to get it out for blacking anyway. Thanks for the advice

That sounds like a plan. I hope it all works out in your favour. Will you let us know how you get on? :boat:

2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Every possibility, it certainly won't help.

Do you some ideas now about what you want to do? :)

I want to get the floor up, get all that rotten wood out, replace laminate. Build shelves to improve storage, make a fold up bed with a table and paint it all. I guess id spend a bit of money making it nice but if I'm gonna be on it a couple of years while saving I want it useable. Main thing is storage space and no where to sit if I invite people over. Apart from bed. Really want a table.

2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

That sounds like a plan. I hope it all works out in your favour. Will you let us know how you get on? :boat:

Yes ok. Ill keep you posted. Thanks again, really appreciate all the advice on here 

There is a lot to be said for a home that works for you. All of those thing you've mentioned seem quite doable and will make a big difference to you and when you come to sell her. You just need to get over the hurdle of buying her, do you think your landlord will be amenable to your offer?

oops crossed posts :D

Edited by Tumshie

26 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

There is a lot to be said for a home that works for you. All of those thing you've mentioned seem quite doable and will make a big difference to you and when you come to sell her. You just need to get over the hurdle of buying her, do you think your landlord will be amenable to your offer?

oops crossed posts :D

I hope so. I think it's definitely a possibility as its quite unsustainable for him. He's moved quite far away and can't be here to sort things. The money upfront could be a relief for him as it would take him ages to make that in rent, minus the other maintenance costs. But we'll see. Ill keep you posted :)

• Happy 1

What makes you think the owner is in any way interested in selling?  If you're paying a fair bit in rent, why would they want to sell for 3-4k?  Until, you've even found out if the boat is for sale, then this is all moot.

That said:  If the mooring is in Bristol then that could be a rare and valuable thing if it transfers with the boat.  The boat itself is a different matter, it sounds like the condition is so poor that it's actually making you ill by living in it.  Look at it this way, say you were offered this mooring with no boat and then you went looking for a boat to buy.  Would you be interested in this one?  If not then, try and buy the boat with the mooring, then save as hard as you can before selling the boat and buying something more suitable for living on, and before you sink many thousands of pounds rectifying the issues with this boat.

A friend of mine bought a boat with a transferable mooring in South Dock, London.  They had no interest in the boat at all and promptly sold it.  They bought a boat they actually wanted in Cheshire (they sell cheaper up north) and had it brought to London on a truck for them.

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 14:50, SadieF said:

He definitely doesn't own the mooring spot. it's quite an informal arrangement down here. 

he lives far away even, and just isn't able to do the maintenance. He keeps putting it back on me to organise it all. 

I'm getting more than a little confused about the whole setup here, as I currently read it there is :

1) Sadie - renting a boat from the boats owner.

2) The boat owner who doesn't own the mooring and presumably is paying the mooring owner a rent

3) The mooring owner

If you buy this boat, what are you actually getting ?

1) Just a boat and still paying mooring rent to the current boat owner

2) Just the boat and paying rent directly to the moorings owner

3) The boat and freehold of the mooring with no rent to pay

Is there actually a 'moorings owner' in all of this or is this just a 'squat' of boats claiming a bit of land ?

Maybe you can confirm the current and future 'structure' to help us (me)  make pertinent suggestions.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm getting more than a little confused about the whole setup here, as I currently read it there is :

1) Sadie - renting a boat from the boats owner.

2) The boat owner who doesn't own the mooring and presumably is paying the mooring owner a rent

3) The mooring owner

If you buy this boat, what are you actually getting ?

1) Just a boat and still paying mooring rent to the current boat owner

2) Just the boat and paying rent directly to the moorings owner

3) The boat and freehold of the mooring with no rent to pay

Maybe you can confirm the current and future 'structure' to help us (me)  make pertinent suggestions.

Its a 2 from me. 

I got the impression the moorings were quite informal and the mooring owner was a farmer. Which seems odd as I can't think of any 'informal' farm moorings in Bristol or anywhere near. This must be on ther River Avon so any farm moorings must be pretty carefully designed in order to cope with the massive changes in water level, and therefore anything but informal.

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Mystique has no knob either, but then heshe is a mutant.

I think she could have one if she wanted one - but that's as far as I go with that one......   :P

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Lookin' a bit blue today, Mr Rusty. :wub:

• Haha 1