Blackening comming of after ice

Featured Posts

Ok so I blacked my boat last year did 3 coats 

I'e moved a lot and tend to touch up as I go to the parts of boat I can touch up 

My question is after this load of ice it looks red around the waterline were it' come off will this be ok till next year as I'm booked in  March 

If you moved though ice then it will have stripped the blacking from the waterline. Most blackings, bitumen-based or otherwise aren't hardwearing enough to resist the abrasive forces of moving through ice. Not sure about epoxy but I doubt it.

However, my general rule of thumb is that once you begin to see rust around the waterline you've got about a year to get the boat out of the water, remove the rust and re-black. The hull won't be damaged by a bit of surface rust. I'm just talking about normal corrosion here - not the pitting caused  by any accelerated galvanic corrosion.

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

If you moved though ice then it will have stripped the blacking from the waterline.

Not necessarily. 

I've done tens of hours in light ice up to about 1/2" thick and my blacking remains unaffected.

Divisive subject this, isn't it?  It matters not what evidence is cited, such as Ray T's photo above, a very substantial section of boaters are adamant that cruising through ice does no damage to their boat or to anyone else's as they pass.

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Divisive subject this, isn't it?  It matters not what evidence is cited, such as Ray T's photo above, a very substantial section of boaters are adamant that cruising through ice does no damage to their boat or to anyone else's as they pass.

Who says that then?

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Who says that then?

What, that ice shifted by cruising boats won't damage the blacking on moored boats it hits?  There've been numerous contrary opinions expressed on here as to whether ice breaking affects blacking or not, referring to both the driven boat and to moored boats.  I can't provide links to specific examples, but I do remember reading such opinions and I'm sure others have too.  Your response appears to challenge the idea that ice from passing boats can damage moored boats, which would confirm what I was pointing out - that it divides opinions.

My own local example would be the bloke pushing a Pindar hull up through Tardebigge who said icebreaking wouldn't bother the blacking on the boat he was driving or mine as he passed at max chat, sending thick sheets of ice skimming across the surface ice and clattering against my hull.  I think that it would (and did) damage my blacking, but he clearly didn't agree - divided opinion.

Your post immediately above my post says cruising through half inch of ice for tens of hours did not damage your blacking, Ray T's above that says cruising in 1/8" of ice has stripped his at the waterline.  Two more divided opinions, I'd offer. 

My post was an observation that there is divided opinion on the subject - you don't have to agree. :)

Mine is in the dock right now as we type being pressure washed prior to blacking. It was done 21 months ago and its virtualy as good as it was when it was put on not much blacking missing at all and still zero pitting. Its being blacked though as I do em at the very least every two years and its like batteries and diesel a consumable item and lets face it the hull IS the boat anything else is just trivia. I did buy a boat a few years ago that hadnt been blacked or out of the water for eighteen years and the hull was still nearly as new spec, weird innitt.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

What, that ice shifted by cruising boats won't damage the blacking on moored boats it hits?  There've been numerous contrary opinions expressed on here as to whether ice breaking affects blacking or not, referring to both the driven boat and to moored boats.  I can't provide links to specific examples, but I do remember reading such opinions and I'm sure others have too.  Your response appears to challenge the idea that ice from passing boats can damage moored boats, which would confirm what I was pointing out - that it divides opinions.

My own local example would be the bloke pushing a Pindar hull up through Tardebigge who said icebreaking wouldn't bother the blacking on the boat he was driving or mine as he passed at max chat, sending thick sheets of ice skimming across the surface ice and clattering against my hull.  I think that it would (and did) damage my blacking, but he clearly didn't agree - divided opinion.

Your post immediately above my post says cruising through half inch of ice for tens of hours did not damage your blacking, Ray T's above that says cruising in 1/8" of ice has stripped his at the waterline.  Two more divided opinions, I'd offer. 

My post was an observation that there is divided opinion on the subject - you don't have to agree. :)

My initial post (No 6) on the subject was to contradict Blackrose who said icebreaking will have stripped the blacking off the boat doing the icebreaking. This is factually incorrect. That is all I wished to point out. Some boats have their blacking stripped, others (e.g. mine) do not. 

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not necessarily. 

I've done tens of hours in light ice up to about 1/2" thick and my blacking remains unaffected.

What blacking are you using? I'm sure we'd all like to know what blacking can possibly defy the laws of physics? 

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Delusional.... is the word that comes to mind.

52 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My initial post (No 6) on the subject was to contradict Blackrose who said icebreaking will have stripped the blacking off the boat doing the icebreaking. This is factually incorrect. That is all I wished to point out. Some boats have their blacking stripped, others (e.g. mine) do not. 

Why do you imagine that some boats will have their blacking stripped in ice while others won't? I really don't think what I said is factually incorrect. Everyone knows that ice will strip blacking. Perhaps you just haven't noticed.

Edited by blackrose

No I said perhaps you just haven't noticed. I assume you can read?

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So howe come my blacking is fine?

Or are you calling me a liar?

How come everyone else loses their blacking moving in ice?

"Are you calling me a liar?" is such a juvenile response. You're a pedant Mike and your point is not really worth arguing about.

Edited by blackrose

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

No I said perhaps you just haven't noticed. I assume you can read?

How come everyone else loses their blacking moving in ice?

"Are you calling me a liar?" is such a juvenile response.

My you're in a shitty mood today. 

You never did like being questioned or contradicted!

So you simply don't believe my blacking remains undamaged as I assert, having inspected it. Is that it?

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My you're in a shitty mood today. 

You never did like being questioned or contradicted!

So you simply don't believe my blacking remains undamaged as I assert, having inspected it. Is that it?

I'm really fine and I have no problem at all being questioned or contradicted - at least no more of a problem than yourself! All I said was that moving in ice will take off blacking - most people know that's true but you're such a insufferable pedant you just love to find fault with anything that anyone says. I really can't be bothered with that sort of nonsense so I'll leave you to it.

The fact is that ice will take off blacking. If it hasn't happened on your boat then great - tell us all what blacking you're using please. I'm sure we'd all love to know and others can comment on whether the same brand has been removed by ice on their boats.

Edited by blackrose

OK the black has gone but whatever the white was is still there and this boat went from Anderton to Middlewich on Friday 2 March, the ice was about 30mm thick in places, not all the way and the steerer was having to give it some welly to get through. The photo is not mine but half way down this Blog http://www.oleanna.co.uk/2018/03/magical-cuttings-13th-march.html the name of the boat is Otter

Edited by ditchcrawler

A great many boats don't spend enough time in dock. Coats of bitumen applied far too quickly, not biding by the drying times, plus, on the tin. In fair weather about two full days between coats. The very first coat is the most important and needs to be applied thinnish and certainly left to dry and harden for two days. These drying times are rarely adhered to, especially if you let a boat yard do it without your supervision. Applying coat after coat too quickly means it stays soft and never hardens through underneath and will rub or scrape off easily. Even though the finish feels nice and dry to the touch.  Bitumen blacking needs at least twice the drying time of ordinary oil  gloss paint.

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

A great many boats don't spend enough time in dock. Coats of bitumen applied far too quickly, not biding by the drying times, plus, on the tin. In fair weather about two full days between coats. The very first coat is the most important and needs to be applied thinnish and certainly left to dry and harden for two days. These drying times are rarely adhered to, especially if you let a boat yard do it without your supervision. Applying coat after coat too quickly means it stays soft and never hardens through underneath and will rub or scrape off easily. Even though the finish feels nice and dry to the touch.  Bitumen blacking needs at least twice the drying time of ordinary oil  gloss paint.

You've probably nailed it there Bizz. 

My boat was last blacked at Fenny Compton and they had the boat in their dry dock for a full week. This might explain the difference in durability.

I've no idea what make of blacking they used but it wasn't expensive, and I'll certainly be taking the boat there again next time around. 

Sadly the guv'nor there Bob Mitchell had a horrific fall into the dry dock shortly after doing my boat and subsequently died, so I heard. RIP Bob, a very competent and knowledgable bod. 

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You've probably nailed it there Bizz. 

My boat was last blacked at Fenny Compton and they had the boat in their dry dock for a full week. This might explain the difference in durability.

I've no idea what make of blacking they used but it wasn't expensive, and I'll certainly be taking the boat there again next time around. 

Sadly the guv'nor there Bob Mitchell had a horrific fall into the dry dock shortly after doing my boat and subsequently died, so I heard. RIP Bob, a very competent and knowledgable bod. 

Ahoy Mike. My boats visits to dry dock is now up to about 5 years, really governed by the anodes. Because I've always done it as I've stated it now has a lovely consolidated hard skin of bitumen on it now that doesn't rub or scrape off, even on this river which when in flood can be fast flowing with all manner of debris like tree branched clobbering the hull. The river here was frozen over a little a couple of weeks ago but I still crunched through it to empty my cassette bog at the sanny and no bitumen scraped off.  Also keep docking boats too regularly exposes the base plate to extra oxygen that enhances the rust.  Fresh air is not good for anything including us, it makes us age, it causes food to go bad when exposed to it as well as enhancing rust.

Edited by bizzard

I have to say I've never seen a conventional blacking that will withstand much ice breaking unless the ice is very rotten. Most two-packs do, and that is about the only thing in their favour in my experience.

How recent is your information about Bob Mitchell please Mike? He was very much alive last autumn when we blacked his boat - I hope nothing has happened since then.

5 minutes ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

I have to say I've never seen a conventional blacking that will withstand much ice breaking unless the ice is very rotten. Most two-packs do, and that is about the only thing in their favour in my experience.

How recent is your information about Bob Mitchell please Mike? He was very much alive last autumn when we blacked his boat - I hope nothing has happened since then.

I read it on here, a couple of years ago. I PMed the author (IIRC) some while later to enquire about his progress to be informed he had not survived. Was this all a load of twaddle then? I truly hope so!!!

Will have a search to see if I can find the thread.