Rusty old engine hole :(

Featured Posts

Thanks for that - very reassuring :)

Definitely wont get submerged in water for any length of time - perhaps some drips from the sterngland, but that's all. After this experience, I'll be keeping a close eye on things down there, and drying out bits of water kitchen roll... anything more serious, from rain overflowing the drainage channels, or whatever, I've now got a wet and dry vacuum, and there is always the bilge pump.

I like the idea of letting sleeping dogs lie and letting time take care of things. Having said that... if the solvent is trapped, which it is, I might try breaking the surface up a bit... unless that is a definite NO NO?

59 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Thanks for that - very reassuring :)

Definitely wont get submerged in water for any length of time - perhaps some drips from the sterngland, but that's all. After this experience, I'll be keeping a close eye on things down there, and drying out bits of water kitchen roll... anything more serious, from rain overflowing the drainage channels, or whatever, I've now got a wet and dry vacuum, and there is always the bilge pump.

I like the idea of letting sleeping dogs lie and letting time take care of things. Having said that... if the solvent is trapped, which it is, I might try breaking the surface up a bit... unless that is a definite NO NO?

No, don't break the surface up. Just airflow and heat gets the solvent out. It will come out eventually.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After 13 years on this boat I finally emptied out the stern deck lockers which get water collecting in the bottom. I was a bit shocked by the pitting, but after much prep this is what I've got. Although it looks like there's still some rust scale in places, I've hit those areas with a welders chipping hammer and nothing's moving. I've treated the base with 4 coats of two pack epoxy so it can hold a puddle of standing water without rusting. 

IMG_20180724_220828_345.jpg

IMG_20180724_220905_965.jpg

Edited by blackrose

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:10, Richard10002 said:

I like the sound of  Jotamastic but have always been wary of 2 part paint - mostly because it sounds complicated, but also because I tend to read that you can’t cover it with anything other than 2 part in the future.

That's not true. You can cover Jotamastic with whatever you want as long as you follow the maximum overcoating time depending on particular paint you're overcoating with, or give the epoxy a key first. Epoxies are more "technical" than single part paints, but it's just a case of reading and following the mixing and application instructions. Something like Jotamastic 87 is perfectly suitable for DIYers, so I'm not sure why people are so nervous? I think the main issue is that most people aren't willing or able to do the required steel preparation. In that case there's no point using an epoxy.

Edited by blackrose

• 10 months later...
On 24/03/2018 at 17:58, Richard10002 said:

Bought the Wickes wet and dry... £49.99, and it's the dogs danglies.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Wet+Dry-Vacuum-with-Blower/p/215735

Also bought a Spear & Jackson floor scraper from Machine Mart, which scraped, chipped, and crumbled the layer of rust.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/040213517/

Together they have made the bottom of the engine bay look so much better. I'll be covering with some Vactan or Fertan at the next opportunity, maybe next Friday, and see if I can get round to painting the whole bay when things get a bit warmer.

Thanks for the help - particularly Mr. Smelly with the Wickes recommend!! :)

Hi, really helpful post, been studying it for same purpose. 

Not having 240 volts on my boat or an inverter, can anyone recommend a cordless ie battery powered wet and dry vac for this? 

Don't know alot about wet and dry vacuum cleaners. Found this Bosch one for £98 which looks alright, wondered if anyone could recommend a cheaper one (or just comment on this - so I don't spend £98 and regret it). Thanks, 

Jon

https://www.cnspowertools.co.uk/bosch-gas18v-10l-professional-cordless-wet-dry-18v-vacuum-body-only?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_r3nBRDxARIsAJljleGxjLf9yqV_TlKviOdmM3n2Zn0U0Pjes7-ASFNnLxMPuxPOxM4kfpQaAq2qEALw_wcB

Edited by Jonkx
Edit to add link, didn't paste last time.

24 minutes ago, Jonkx said:

so I don't spend £98 and regret it

OOPS Crossed with WotEver

The way I read it, the battery is not included; hence "body only". And if you need to add a battery, then you'll also need a battery-specific charger.

If you look on Amazon HERE, you'll see all three items (vac, battery and charger) below the detail of the vac itself, and the costs adds up to £199.23.

2 minutes ago, sans allumette said:

OOPS Crossed with WotEver

The way I read it, the battery is not included; hence "body only". And if you need to add a battery, then you'll also need a battery-specific charger.

If you look on Amazon HERE, you'll see all three items (vac, battery and charger) below the detail of the vac itself, and the costs adds up to £199.23.

Although you could save £36 on that price by buying a ‘clone’ battery:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074H82GMZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_-157CbPSWHNRX

You could possibly use that £36 to buy a cheap inverter to power the charger. 

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

Although you could save £36 on that price by buying a ‘clone’ battery:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074H82GMZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_-157CbPSWHNRX

You could possibly use that £36 to buy a cheap inverter to power the charger. 

Thanks for advice, appears it costs even more then. Does anyone know of any good cheaper alternatives? I know there are sometimes smaller handheld vacuum cleaners but I'm not sure they'd be powerful enough. 

I would charge it at home, assuming its rechargeable. 

2 minutes ago, Jonkx said:

Thanks for advice, appears it costs even more then. Does anyone know of any good cheaper alternatives? I know there are sometimes smaller handheld vacuum cleaners but I'm not sure they'd be powerful enough. 

I don't know about this model but battery vacs that I've used tend to only give about 20-30 minutes use if run on full power.

2 hours ago, Jonkx said:

I have  a small 12V clip onto the battery drum type that you can have FOC but collect from Reading or Napton area by arrangement. I am sure it will suck up a bit of water and rust dust, not so sure about flakes of rust though.