100gb from Virgin(EE) £20 per month

rogeriko

Featured Posts

It looks such a great deal that it could be too good to be true..... I cant find anything in the legal stuff which refers to tethering, either allowing it, dissallowing it, or restricting it. Given that everybody knows all about tethering these days, (networks), you would expect there to be a reference to it somewhere.

Call me a cynic, but my guess is that there will be some kind of catch somewhere :( 

8 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

It looks such a great deal that it could be too good to be true..... I cant find anything in the legal stuff which refers to tethering, either allowing it, dissallowing it, or restricting it. Given that everybody knows all about tethering these days, (networks), you would expect there to be a reference to it somewhere.

Call me a cynic, but my guess is that there will be some kind of catch somewhere :( 

What are you saying, if I buy this deal what can I do with it? Where does it go?

Ahhh, I thought I saw that it was a data sim. If it’s only a phone sim with no tethering allowed then it’s not such a great deal. I have unlimited data, calls, and texts for only £11 per month but I’m only allowed 4Gb tethered. 

33 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I guess a call to the provider will answer the tethering question.

From the "general mobile" bit at the bottom:-

Tethering and peer to peer file sharing prohibited. Acceptable use policy applies.

That answers the question.... so not such a good deal after all. I think they know that normal mobile users wont use much data each month, and Vodafone get the chance to charge for data "outside of the contract". Will they, or wont they? Anybodys guess, but I wouldnt trust them.

Chances are that you may well "get away" with tethering,particularily if its a low amount, but if they do cut you off, you are stuck in a 12 month contract.

100GB is a huge amount of monthly data anyway, so you would have to be watching loads of video downloads to use it all.

23 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Ahhh, I thought I saw that it was a data sim. If it’s only a phone sim with no tethering allowed then it’s not such a great deal. I have unlimited data, calls, and texts for only £11 per month but I’m only allowed 4Gb tethered. 

36 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I guess a call to the provider will answer the tethering question.

From the "general mobile" bit at the bottom:-

Tethering and peer to peer file sharing prohibited. Acceptable use policy applies.

Yep, not such a good deal if you are limited to the phone itself. We will use 80-100Gb if on the boat 24/7 but via a router as we connect TV and our laptops/tablets/phone etc. We use data on the phones when away from a router but rarely use more than our 5Gb limit (Vodaphone) and I think we are paying circa £10/month for unlimited calls etc. Bit of a con if you cant tether.

Just now, rusty69 said:

100GB is a huge amount of monthly data anyway, so you would have to be watching loads of video downloads to use it all.

One rugby match takes 4Gb! .......and then we have all the video clips you post!!!:)

11 minutes ago, Detling said:

Data sim only deals do not include minutes and texts as these are phone parameters. I think some tablets can use a phone sim, but my MiFi (Huawei) won't use them.  So this one is a phone sim.

My teltonika router uses EE phone sims. I have 2 of them at 30Gb each and a 20Gb BT (uses EE) phone sim and spend the month swapping the sims around. It's like sim city all over again (remember the game with the annoying music?).

19 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Chances are that you may well "get away" with tethering,particularily if its a low amount, but if they do cut you off, you are stuck in a 12 month contract.

If it’s an up to date phone the chances are that you won’t.  Some phones ‘ask’ the network if it’s ok to tether and if the network says ‘no’ it won’t.  My windows 7 phone was good to tether but as soon as it moved up to win10 it stopped.

8 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

My teltonika router

Oooo you posh git, I wanted one of them but Mrs Rusty will only allow me a mifi.

5 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Cor, stone age or what? Now you are starting to sound like Mr smelly.:P Texts are great.

Why text when you can e-mail?

10 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

If it’s an up to date phone the chances are that you won’t.  Some phones ‘ask’ the network if it’s ok to tether and if the network says ‘no’ it won’t.  My windows 7 phone was good to tether but as soon as it moved up to win10 it stopped.

Interesting. I spose you could chuck the sim in an older phone though, and hope the provider doesn't detect tethering.(which I suspect they would if you were hammering it).

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Interesting. I spose you could chuck the sim in an older phone though, and hope the provider doesn't detect tethering.(which I suspect they would if you were hammering it).

Folk on here have also reported success with putting a phone sim into a mifi but when I tried it as an experiment it threw up an error (can’t recall what, now). 

5 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I am very impressed with it. Never been without a strong signal from it.

Yeah, I've been eyeing them up for months now, particularily for their aerial connecting capabilites.

The mifi is good, but the wifi range isn't the best,and although it has an external aerial connection, it doesn't look very substantial, unlike the

Tell-tonka offerings.

ETA Is your the RUT950?

Edited by rusty69

4 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

My teltonika router uses EE phone sims.

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I am very impressed with it. Never been without a strong signal from it.

Do tell more! I'm still confused about how a router can receive a mobile signal. It must be more than a router, Shirley?

IS it better at sucking a signal out of the ether than these little £50 mi-fi things?

4 hours ago, rusty69 said:
1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Do tell more! I'm still confused about how a router can receive a mobile signal. It must be more than a router, Shirley?

IS it better at sucking a signal out of the ether than these little £50 mi-fi things?

ETA Is your the RUT950?

Yes, mine is the RUT950. Link for Mike below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teltonika-RUT950-LTE-4G-Router/dp/B00TKFKLCI

Defo better at picking up a signal than mifi boxes IF you put a decent antenna on. I have the Poynting antenna that shows up on the amazon link above. Twin antennas into the two antenna sockets. I have it on a pole about 4 ft above the top of the boat and always see a signal of at least -65 dBm (which is quite strong). It is pricey - £250 ish for the box and antenna but never fails. It is only a router with 2 sim positions and auto switching between sims - but I dont do that.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

11 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Defo better at picking up a signal than mifi boxes IF you put a decent antenna on

I used to use a Linksys 3g router with external aerial, probably ten years ago now, and the signal was much better than the mifi.