Fenders

Johny London

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Nic Williams said:

Hi Everyone

Someone mentioned old go cart tyres, would be ok ? As we need to push the boat away from the wall, a bit more. Any opinions greatful 

Nic

Yes they are fine for mooring up with.

9 hours ago, Nic Williams said:

Hi Everyone

Someone mentioned old go cart tyres, would be ok ? As we need to push the boat away from the wall, a bit more. Any opinions greatful 

Nic

You can also use wheel barrow wheels, ones with plastic wheels and pneumatic tyres float flat on the surface keeping the hull about a foot from the bank/piling/shelf.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Why not just use fenders? They are made specifically for the purpose.

Tut!  Bloomin' conformist - how would it be if everyone used the right thing for the right job, eh?  Anyway, I'm off to stick another dead badger on the stove and make a propeller out of old plant pots...

30 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Tut!  Bloomin' conformist - how would it be if everyone used the right thing for the right job, eh?  Anyway, I'm off to stick another dead badger on the stove and make a propeller out of old plant pots...

I did find myself wondering recently what to put on the wheels of my kart. Do you think fenders would work ok?

:giggles:

(Just kidding, dear OP. No harm meant!)

21 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

The Shroppie shelf needs wheels, big ones sometimes, 14" alloys with 195-60-14 tyres.

Some truth in that!

(There's also some big wheels on another thread, but I think they are off Bizzard's steamroller, so they might not float)

Hi Everyone 

Thanks for your input and advise on this. I am having a bit of a problem where our canal boat is permanently mored up. The edge of the concrete has a rough part sticking out, that's why the normal fenders are not wide enough. I will try some go cart tyres and cut a few holes in them with a holesaw. Thanks for the good advise all.

Nic