Fenders

Johny London

Featured Posts

A while back I discovered the bliss of using a couple of old tyres as fenders while moored - even against stone or metal, and with ropes slacking after a few days, and even with the most enthusiastic of boaters whizzing past, the tyres totally eliminate the banging and buffeting that my six (now sadly only 5) slim rubber fenders found so hard to deal with.

However, it seems the slim fenders are having their revenge. A new phenomenon has recently been occurring. It started the night I was moored at Brentford - a tap tap tap from one of them, soon another joined in, coming in and out of sync with each other and getting progressively louder. I was forced to get up at 5am and go outside on the gunwale and hall the things up. Not a good idea when half asleep. That was that I thought - but it keeps happening wherever I am now!

It's mad - not a peep out of these things for the past year and a half, even in storms, and now every night I'm out there taking them up - I hear them starting as I write. Ok I'm on a different river but...

Maybe I should tie them a bit shorter - they are all below the rubbing strake and if they were sat on it then they would prolly be tight against the boat. I was going to replace the missing one and re vamp them all anyway with a bit of an adjustment and some new ropes etc. Seems they beat me to it.

Been using M/cycle tyres for years they don't roll so are much better at keeping you stable and "protected" - and they are cheap, typically a pound each just cut right through them at the bottom and they don't hold water either........result, OK they don't look great sitting on the roof whilst you are cruising but IMHO they are the best solution when moored up by far

Edited by Halsey

13 hours ago, Johny London said:

A while back I discovered the bliss of using a couple of old tyres as fenders while moored - even against stone or metal, and with ropes slacking after a few days, and even with the most enthusiastic of boaters whizzing past, the tyres totally eliminate the banging and buffeting that my six (now sadly only 5) slim rubber fenders found so hard to deal with.

However, it seems the slim fenders are having their revenge. A new phenomenon has recently been occurring. It started the night I was moored at Brentford - a tap tap tap from one of them, soon another joined in, coming in and out of sync with each other and getting progressively louder. I was forced to get up at 5am and go outside on the gunwale and hall the things up. Not a good idea when half asleep. That was that I thought - but it keeps happening wherever I am now!

It's mad - not a peep out of these things for the past year and a half, even in storms, and now every night I'm out there taking them up - I hear them starting as I write. Ok I'm on a different river but...

Maybe I should tie them a bit shorter - they are all below the rubbing strake and if they were sat on it then they would prolly be tight against the boat. I was going to replace the missing one and re vamp them all anyway with a bit of an adjustment and some new ropes etc. Seems they beat me to it.

Are you sure its the fenders? Its starting to get light at 5am so on the basis of what you say I would suspect ducks clearing the weed growth around the hull. Getting up would have scared them away.

My fenders do not do that but the I do adjust them so they are against any whaling bar or high spots on the bank.

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You must get thru' quite a lot of them. Don't you find that they don't tend to last very long when used against a concrete wall ?

Are claiming Fenders will fare better? This one seems to have been used as you describe:

1475251477_9252.jpg

£5,999.00

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/fender-custom-shop-61-strat-ultra-relic-dale-wilson-masterbuilt.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI25va89iE2gIVEM-yCh3qtwhlEAQYBCABEgLkWvD_BwE

1 minute ago, Rickent said:

Might look like crap but I bet that's one sweet sounding strat.

Quite.

Reading the rather sketchy listing however, I get the feeling it has been artificially 'distressed'. A travesty if so. 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Quite.

Reading the rather sketchy listing however, I get the feeling it has been artificially 'distressed'. A travesty if so. 

Yes, just read the listing and it is a new custom shop guitar , if it was an original '61 strat it would have been a lot better.

3 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Yes, just read the listing and it is a new custom shop guitar , if it was an original '61 strat it would have been a lot better.

All rather odd. I got the impression is was a real '61 USA that had been distressed. If its a new one that is somehow ok. 

Mind you, back in 1968 my mate's parents bought him a new strat. we were still at skool. Even then he was ungratefully moaning that he had to put up with a new one and they were shyte compared to a '58. 

He was an annoyingly talented geetarist however...

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

6 minutes ago, Johny London said:

If only they'd given him a slightly longer lead.... I guess the technology was at its limits back then.

I believe the main act was The Rolling Stones and they had been forbidden to go on to the tongue part of the stage. Imagine having to follow that.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You must get thru' quite a lot of them. Don't you find that they don't tend to last very long when used against a concrete wall ?

I understand Pete Townshend found that out first :giggles: