Historic Boat Insurance

David Mack

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

That's a very unexpected answer as I was able to move one of our 82 year old boats to cover with GJW as recently as November last year.

If what you say really is the case it must represent a very major change f direction in a very short time.

That’s very interesting in view of our experiences recorded in the Insurance thread with regard to insuring contents away from the boat. I wonder if GJW are feeling the draught financially and have pulled in their horns, or have they had a change of management in the actuarial department?

• 1 month later...
On 18/03/2019 at 20:45, Robert B. said:

Thought I'd resurrect this thread rather than start afresh. I had a chat with GJW this afternoon and was categorically told that they no longer insure vessels more than 60 years old. With Sara being up to a century beyond their cut-off they were regrettably unable to make an offer. I'm waiting to hear back from Aston Lark/Euromarine.

RB

This statement just doesn't seem to be true.

I have just put "Sickle", (83 years old), under cover with GJW without any problems, and based on comments on a discussion I have been having on Facebook, GJW seems to be the preferred insurer for many owners of historic narrow boats.

However going to GJW was significantly more expensive than Towergate would have been (£225 versus £173).  (Dear old Towergate managed to isue a renewal in error, despite saying they have withdrawn from the market!)  To some extent this may be because the GJW policy has some extras that many might prefer not to be paying for, including personal accident insurance, and RCR "Retainer" cover).

8 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

This statement just doesn't seem to be true.

I have just put "Sickle", (83 years old), under cover with GJW without any problems, and based on comments on a discussion I have been having on Facebook, GJW seems to be the preferred insurer for many owners of historic narrow boats.

However going to GJW was significantly more expensive than Towergate would have been (£225 versus £173).  (Dear old Towergate managed to isue a renewal in error, despite saying they have withdrawn from the market!)  To some extent this may be because the GJW policy has some extras that many might prefer not to be paying for, including personal accident insurance, and RCR "Retainer" cover).

It is what I was told after a follow up call to requesting a quote online.  The fellow at the other end held the line for a minutes whilst he confirmed the age restriction with the insurance company at the other end. I was a little annoyed as they insured her under the previous owner.

Do you have an existing policy with them for Flamingo?

Regards,

Robert

17 minutes ago, Robert B. said:

Do you have an existing policy with them for Flamingo?

Yes, but that was not instrumental in securing insurance for Sickle.

Elsewhere someone rang them to find their current position on "historics", and were told this......

I’ve Just Been On The Phone To GJW
This Is What Is Happening
No Third Party Polices Anymore
No Builders Policies Anymore

The Is No Cut Off Point For A Age Of A Vessel
Any Vessel Over 30 Must Have A Current Survey On It

I Spoke To Alex Hall About This And He Went Direct To There Underwriter To Ask The Questions I Asked

So I have no idea why you were told what you were told, I'm afraid, (unless you were looking for only 3rd party cover, which it does seem they have discontinued).