Shower Room refurb.

Featured Posts

Hello.

Thoughts have been directed to redoing our Bathroom/shower room. 

The plan is, remove pumpout, yippee! says Mrsmelly, remove the tank if it's not integral to the hull, some are, need to check, this will then allow for a cassette loo with opening onto passageway. Need to dismantle the bed to get to the tank. That will be fun. (We will be creating a bed extension widthwise by 6" when we rebuild the bed again.) Basin to stay where it is. We have a bath/shower, pictured below hopefully, take this out and install a 900mm x 600mm shower tray with screen to front with access, obviously, bi-fold or otherwise. Fit bulkhead to one side and create shelving or cupboard space (full height). 

Thats the plan!! Now questions. Where best to purchase the tray,screen bits and bobs. Internet or Screwfix etc. Chandlery. Any experienced suggestions welcome. I am becoming a bit of a DIYer and willing to give it ago.

only helpful comments please. Sarcasm accepted, but only on a good day. Today is a good day.

IMG_1563.JPG

IMG_1564.JPG

IMG_1565.JPG

:D A very sensible moooov getting a proper bog fitted. I think most stuff u need will be available from such as wickes etc but for a chandlers try Limekiln I always find them helpful and sensibly priced. ebay can also be good but don't discount gumtree I have had great results on more than one occasion including this week.

39 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Hello.

Thoughts have been directed to redoing our Bathroom/shower room. 

The plan is, remove pumpout, yippee! says Mrsmelly, remove the tank if it's not integral to the hull, some are, need to check, this will then allow for a cassette loo with opening onto passageway. Need to dismantle the bed to get to the tank. That will be fun. (We will be creating a bed extension widthwise by 6" when we rebuild the bed again.) Basin to stay where it is. We have a bath/shower, pictured below hopefully, take this out and install a 900mm x 600mm shower tray with screen to front with access, obviously, bi-fold or otherwise. Fit bulkhead to one side and create shelving or cupboard space (full height). 

Thats the plan!! Now questions. Where best to purchase the tray,screen bits and bobs. Internet or Screwfix etc. Chandlery. Any experienced suggestions welcome. I am becoming a bit of a DIYer and willing to give it ago.

only helpful comments please. Sarcasm accepted, but only on a good day. Today is a good day.

IMG_1563.JPG

IMG_1564.JPG

IMG_1565.JPG

Good move! .... I would also try places like the bath store as dependant on your headroom most domestic items fit well and are far cheaper than from the swindlery  sorry i meant chandlery ... honest! :)

Rick

Very little effort required, I'm sure. 

The height of the screen needs only to be six foot, so a 'bog' standard will fit. Can't decide whether to go for resin or plastic or enamel. The weight of Resin might upset the ballast. Water supply presently is Starb'd side as is waste outlet via gulper pump. The proposed cupboard, although small, would hide the pipes. Also move the pump from centre line of boat to starboard under bottom shelf of cupboard. Should be easy fix with plastic push fit pipes.

20 minutes ago, dccruiser said:

Good move! .... I would also try places like the bath store as dependant on your headroom most domestic items fit well and are far cheaper than from the swindlery  sorry i meant chandlery ... honest! :)

Rick

Had a look at The Bath Store. Always thought they'd be pricey. Surprisingly not. I have an old mans discount card for Bee & Quacks, but only on a Wednesday. Why?

15 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Had a look at The Bath Store. Always thought they'd be pricey. Surprisingly not. I have an old mans discount card for Bee & Quacks, but only on a Wednesday. Why?

I think Bravo and Quebec are a bit like Midland swindlers. When they give a discount it puts their prices in line with other stores normal pricing policy.

Just a thought:

Our shower enclosure at home is 600 x 900, but the one on the boat is 600mm square and still pretty comfy. If you can put up with that, the extra 300mm increase in your cupboard might be really useful storage.

I added a small radiator in my calorifier return line a year or two ago, which warms the bathroom quite nicely whilst cruising to no ill effect on engine cooling, warm up times or hot water production. If you could get away with something similar in the base of your new cupboard, you'd have really useful warm, dry storage and a place for airing laundry.

When buying a shower tray, I'd go for one with an upstand. (actually, I did.) And I went for a resin stone-cast (think that is what it is called) which is very rigid and less likely to mess up the sealing by flexing, 1000 x 720 (in sensible units).

11 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Just a thought:

Our shower enclosure at home is 600 x 900, but the one on the boat is 600mm square and still pretty comfy. If you can put up with that, the extra 300mm increase in your cupboard might be really useful storage.

I added a small radiator in my calorifier return line a year or two ago, which warms the bathroom quite nicely whilst cruising to no ill effect on engine cooling, warm up times or hot water production. If you could get away with something similar in the base of your new cupboard, you'd have really useful warm, dry storage and a place for airing laundry.

Good valid comment thank you. I'm not a little man so I think 600 sq might be 'bang your elbows' time. I like the idea of a potential airing cupboard. I only shower three times a year whether I need it or not so moisture isn't an issue.

(the last line is a lie.)

12 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

When buying a shower tray, I'd go for one with an upstand. (actually, I did.) And I went for a resin stone-cast (think that is what it is called) which is very rigid and less likely to mess up the sealing by flexing, 1000 x 720 (in sensible units).

Especially if you kneel in the base whilst sealing it ... just like when fitting a bath you should always fill it with water before sealing :) 

Rick

14 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Upstand? Space underneath? Is the resin tray heavy or not so heavy. I do like the idea of solidness!

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

Upstand? Space underneath? Is the resin tray heavy or not so heavy. I do like the idea of solidness!

Resin trays are very heavy and far better than the lightweight plastic ones ... the upstand means you dont have to run your pump until you have finished your shower 

Rick

Edited by dccruiser

The upstand (in my case) is an about 1 inch (in silly units, Stop that!) and is to enable the  walls to be "inside".  This is not enough on its own to prevent leakage as you can still get capillary action if you are not careful. It is not to contain the water, the tray side walls are for that. The water level should never reach the side walls and therefore the upstand.

•    W  <= wall
  • x W  <<= upstand
  • x W
  • xxxxx
  •         x
  •         x  <= tray sidewall
  •         x
  •          x
  •             x
  •                  x
  •                          x etc

There's loads of stuff on the forum about this but with the current search engine .....

Edited by system 4-50

5 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Just don't drop it on your foot.

8 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Just don't drop it on your foot.

Or do as I did with a white resin kitchen double-bowl sink. I spent all morning tweaking the cutout in the worktop, prepping the sink with the taps, waste, clips, sealant, then just as I was about to fit it dropped it on the tiled floor... 

Two-piece sink anyone?

15 hours ago, Robbo said:

Although wall panels have many advantages, to me they still look plastic and cheap, even the decent ones.

Depends how much you're willing to pay. The expensive ones don't look plastic or cheap to me. These showerwall panels cost me about 300 quid. They're 10mm thick solid panels. 

http://www.showerwall.co.uk/gallery/

It's not easy to tile flexing/vibrating bulkheads and stop them leaking long term. You can tile on top of water-resistant materials but personally I don't want any water getting behind that surface, so I'd rather have panels.

BTW, the upstand on my ceramic tray is about 4" deep. Personally I wouldn't want a shallow tray on a boat. 

P1010189 - Copy.JPG

Edited by blackrose

I've always thought that my shower walls are something like floor vinyl. That's the impression I got when fitting a new thermostatic shower valve. It's certainly a one piece per wall, and well sealed at all edges. It's been on at least 10 years to my knowledge, and probably since the boat was built in 2001.