Minworth embankment repair

nicknorman

Featured Posts

16 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Hmmmmm, from Wikipedia (which, as we know, is always right):

it is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. In 1908, a government minister stated, in response to a parliamentary question, that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag"

Do you believe what the government says?

Jeff took a trip to the lock this evening. Photos hardly need any comment!

79A737A0-5987-4FDE-9693-01B87FC6F783.jpeg.37d5a64847159c652d43363740097acd.jpeg

D82F8FCF-7098-45CF-8589-AFB70DD1DBDE.jpeg.19c557ef1866c4e44c36ae76a802846c.jpeg

A79A5364-F6E0-4646-AE30-9940C8654368.jpeg.1956f1d8a90b020915195dbf7b5dc2e2.jpeg

3A76C195-CA87-4150-857B-144BDBCB18C3.jpeg.2a366475553940e6e83150b86e302fd5.jpeg

So all those added stones/rocks in my original picture are mostly still there. And compare the presence of water just below the lock, with the depth of water in this last shot. No wonder we were bumping and grinding and going nowhere (is there a song about that?).

27 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

So all those added stones/rocks in my original picture are mostly still there.

And, those that are no longer there at the ones 'kicked-out' by your prop.!!!!!!

One word - INCOMPETENT

Incompetent contractors and incompetent management of the contractors.

It'll be interesting to see how C&RT manage to turn this around such that it is 'boaters fault' as all the other problems are made out to be

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And, those that are no longer there at the ones 'kicked-out' by your prop.!!!!!!

One word - INCOMPETENT

Incompetent contractors and incompetent management of the contractors.

It'll be interesting to see how C&RT manage to turn this around such that it is 'boaters fault' as all the other problems are made out to be

" INCOMPETENT" I completely agree. Expectations fully met.

It will be interesting to see what quality of remediation is undertaken. I hope its a lot better than pulling out the just worst bits of rubble.

Edited by jonesthenuke

It has always been a stoney pound though, a few years ago I ran aground and jumped off the boat on to the canal bed and walked to the bank without getting wet or muddy feet due to the amount of stone.

49 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

It has always been a stoney pound though, a few years ago I ran aground and jumped off the boat on to the canal bed and walked to the bank without getting wet or muddy feet due to the amount of stone.

That's as maybe , but that hardcore in the pictures is fresh crushed concrete put in recently, otherwise it would be black and mud covered.This sort of thing has been going on for years, often remains of temporary clay dams ("stanks",up north) where just sufficient is removed to not be visible at normal water level . Latest I've seen is a stack of "Heras" fencing that had been round some lock repair  work  neatly left in the tail of the lock, even if vandals had chucked it in , someone should have accounted for it when it went off hire  and recovered it.

So it is very clear from the water each side of the area that it is shallow in that section compared to the tail of the lock and further down the pound.  Given there does not appear to be any equipment there, how will this be dealt with from this point do we think?

9 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Given there does not appear to be any equipment there, how will this be dealt with from this point do we think?

Can't bring floating equipment in , there's nowt to float in. Perhaps a temporary timber road down that nice new cycleway with excavator and appropriate sized dump trucks? All very expensive and messy. Doing  it manually with "volunteers" in the canal would nowadays be regarded  as a health & safety nightmare.

Thinking a bit more, they can put an excavator IN the canal using the hardcore road that they obviously left in place  for that purpose and retreat along the canal digging it away as they go.:P

• Greenie 1

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 20:46, nicknorman said:

Yes I’d say so. As it happens, it’s looking like Jeff is going to drive down to the boat on Saturday and may have a look too. So if you see a red mini with white bonnet stripes and a Union Jack on the roof, you could say hello!

Did he have that car in Aberdeen during the Independence referendum? If so, I'm surprised it hasn't been vandalised by some of the Salmond spawn.

Edited by billS

1 hour ago, billh said:

That's as maybe , but that hardcore in the pictures is fresh crushed concrete put in recently, otherwise it would be black and mud covered.

Exactly this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is absolutely no doubt looking at those pictures that most of what has caused the issue has been recently added.

But that was always a very fair assumption, given that 3 feet draughted boats could get easily along this pound without any issues before this "repair", but now it seems very much shallower draughted ones can't even manage it.

One expects contractors to try and do as little as possible - what is disappointing here is that nobody from CRT adequately checked the state of affairs before the water was put back.  Either they did, and were not clued up enough to see the inevitable, (or they didn't care!), or it simply was not done.  There can be no other explanation, can there?  It will clearly have cost far more to sort this out belatedly than it would have at the time.  It would be nice to think the contractors will pay, but somehow I doubt that.

Edited by alan_fincher

8 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

So with a planned closure of the canal for 4 days, how much will they actually do?

Looks to me like they need to remove a lot of material.

You would think that right now they will only clear the central channel in the worst effected section, not sort out the general poor state.  I was expecting that they would have had some hoppers and a digger that could be offloaded grounded in the pound, but it seems not.  Whilst the towpath there is good, is it easy to get a digger there, my picturing of it is that  you are a fair bit above the A38.  Even with a digger there you have to cart away a fir bit of material as well.  So would be interesting to see how it is done.

1 hour ago, kawaton said:

Quality bit of towpath though.:D

Not that I would particularly want to walk it, as not the nicest/safest area. 

Towpath was a problem when I grounded and had to get off the boat to flush some water down.  The only option was to put a line across the towpath to the fence so that when the boat was floating I had a means of pulling the bows over to get back on.  The cyclist that came hurtling along fortunately stopped when I waved him down to warn him of the line across the path.