Warwickshire ring advice

cornishdave

Featured Posts

On 3/23/2018 at 16:59, Dr Bob said:

Saltisford is not just private moorings. They welcome passing boats and charge £5 per night but water on tap and lecky (for a charge). We called in 4 or 5 times last year and joined the society (first night free each visit). I think it was £12 to join for a year. Ian shoehorns boats in until it is full with bresting up required when busy. I assume it will be the same this year. 10 mins walk into town. Very useful for getting to warwick parkway (train). They charge for leaving a car in their car park. Very useful place.

The first night is no longer free and the mooring fee has increased.

On 3/23/2018 at 18:15, Captain Pegg said:

The Cape of Good Hope is more likely. Is there a better pub in Warwick?

JP

About 20 better pubs.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick confirmation that the Greyhound is always good in my experience (but I would book a table).

Also that as Laurie says there are lots and lots of good pubs in Warwick. At the Cape some nights there can be a long wait for food to be served. We like the Fourpenny Shop for its folk music sessions on Thursday nights. The Old Post Office and the Wild Boar are certainly good for the beer. The Bowling Green is apparently good for food at the moment but I haven't been there yet. There are lots of good restaurants too. So I'd really recommend a night in Warwick (though the best pubs and restaurants are a bit of a hike from the canal).

Edit: just remembered the Coffee Tavern. It's only been open about a year but I'd highly recommend it for the beer, the food and the atmosphere. Or if you want to try something more bohemian try Bar Catalan.

Edited by John Brightley

• 5 months later...

Just a quick follow up to this...

We had a fabulous trip on the Warwickshiire ring...

Started from Napton, went the long way (up the North Stratford - which is beautiful and probably our favourite part of the trip) and even managed some minor detours. We did put in a couple of long days though!

As for pubs, we didn't eat out every night but visited:

Two Boats - very busy but still served quickly. Standard pub grub but not bad at all

Tom O The Wood - pretty good, decent food but service slightly slow (due to cooking to order I assume)

Dog & Doublet - lovely pub, fantastic home made pie and pretty cheap

Cuttle Bridge Inn (lunchtime drink) - decent canal side seating with mooring right outside, restaurant looked ok if a little sterile for our more pubby/common tastes!

The Folly - fantastic! perfect canal side pub, epic food and decent prices.

All in all a fantastic trip. Only met one moody/shouty person all week when we didn't see her coming up Braunston flight and started to turn the lock against them. We quickly apologised and re-emptied the 6 inches of water we'd let in, but she was so abrupt and unwilling to converse we then walked off and let them carry on unaided (petty I know but gave me some satisfaction)

Already planning next year - maybe the four counties! :-)

Edited by cornishdave
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, cornishdave said:

Started from Napton, went the long way (up the North Stratford - which is beautiful and probably our favourite part of the trip) and even managed some minor detours. We did put in a couple of long days though!

Two Boats - very busy but still served quickly. Standard pub grub but not bad at all

Tom O The Wood - pretty good, decent food but service slightly slow (due to cooking to order I assume)

Cuttle Bridge Inn (lunchtime drink) - decent canal side seating with mooring right outside, restaurant looked ok if a little sterile for our more pubby/common tastes!

All in all a fantastic trip. Only met one moody/shouty person all week when we didn't see her coming up Braunston flight and started to turn the lock against them. We quickly apologised and re-emptied the 6 inches of water we'd let in, but she was so abrupt and unwilling to converse we then walked off and let them carry on unaided (petty I know but gave me some satisfaction)

Already planning next year - maybe the four counties! :-)

It's always good to get feedback - it helps the next punter who does some research (good heavens what's that??).

There was a time when canalling included a measure of "we're all in it together", so folks would engage in a short chat / acknowledge the presence of other boaters.

That seems to have disappeared nowadays - and everybody loses. Hence your grumpy lady!!

10 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

It's always good to get feedback - it helps the next punter who does some research (good heavens what's that??).

There was a time when canalling included a measure of "we're all in it together", so folks would engage in a short chat / acknowledge the presence of other boaters.

That seems to have disappeared nowadays - and everybody loses. Hence your grumpy lady!!

I take your point, but in this case after watching them we decided that she was probably in a grump as she was working the flight with another boat that appeared to be fairly new and didn't know what they were doing plus struggling with heavy gates. In hindsight we should've helped out - but I wasn't feeling very generous toward them by then.

Everyone else we met on the week was very friendly and cheerful (even the drunks/wasters by Farmers Bridge locks, not that there were many), so can't complain. :-)

2 hours ago, cornishdave said:

I take your point, but in this case after watching them we decided that she was probably in a grump as she was working the flight with another boat that appeared to be fairly new and didn't know what they were doing plus struggling with heavy gates. In hindsight we should've helped out - but I wasn't feeling very generous toward them by then.

Everyone else we met on the week was very friendly and cheerful (even the drunks/wasters by Farmers Bridge locks, not that there were many), so can't complain. :-)

'Twasn't a reflection on you m'dear - just on the way that other folks behave nowadays

4 hours ago, cornishdave said:

Already planning next year - maybe the four counties! ?

The Cuttle for lunch and then the Two boats. You didnt go far that afternoon then?

15 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

The Cuttle for lunch and then the Two boats. You didnt go far that afternoon then?

Two Boats Long Itchington was the first night, the Cuttle bridge Inn (just after Minworth ) was much later in the week. :-)

28 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

'Twasn't a reflection on you m'dear - just on the way that other folks behave nowadays

No worries, I didn't take it as a reflection on me (I'm pretty thick skinned anyway so even if it was I wouldn't take offence). I mainly replied to say that we were lucky and didn't see much of that sort of grumpiness throughout the week (and maybe she had a good reason/bad day - we all have them occasionally)

On 14/09/2018 at 08:43, cornishdave said:

Already planning next year - maybe the four counties! ?

Given that -- like us -- you like pubs and don't mind locks, if you want a week-long ring either Cheshire (with Peak Forest) or Stourport rings might suit you better than the Four Counties -- we've done all of them as well as the Warwickshire (and various other week-long trips) and I think they'd be our two favourites.

If you've got a few days longer (9/10 days) and *really* like locks (and pubs, and a *long* tunnel, and fabulous scenery), you could do a lot worse than the Rochdale/Huddersfield Narrow ring. Or in the same time you could do the Four Counties and the Caldon, the Black Lion at Consall Forge is lovely...

Edited by IanD