Best time of year to buy/sell

MattJaneyHeinz

Featured Posts

Hi All

Firstly, I'm new on here, so virtual card is behind the virtual bar for y'all.

We're looking for a boat for a planned 6-7 months of cruising next year, and we're wondering what the best time of year to buy is? I suspect that there's more on the market in Spring/Summer, and fewer in Autumn/Winter - is this right? Or can some bargains be had in Autumn as fair weather boaters sell up?

Cheers

M

13 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It appears to be a sellers market at the moment, and has been for a few years now. I don't reckon it makes much difference when you buy. 

Cheers for the virtual drink and welcome to the forum. 

Has been a sellers market but I get a feeling it’s peaked and a down turn has started. We shall see I guess.

There is no "good time" to buy really. When you want to buy, you start looking around and, unless you find something pretty quickly, you will still be looking in 3 or 4 months time... by which time, your "good time to buy" has either come and gone, or you are in it. Another thing that comes to mind is that, if the ideal boat for you is put on the market during a bad time to buy, and someone buys it, you dont get to know about it because you arent looking at said bad time.

So, as soon as you decide you want to buy a boat, start looking, and keep looking until you find it, or it finds you :)

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, ianali said:

Has been a sellers market but I get a feeling it’s peaked and a down turn has started. We shall see I guess.

I think the boat market will be even stronger this year. Massive interest already from the April 6th pension fund releases and boats now being able to get to brokerages after stoppages/floods/ice. 

The only quiet months are December and January.

If you are buying, me sure you have a deposit ready to go as boats coming to market correctly priced will be snapped up by people on brokerages mailing lists the day they appear.

Edited by matty40s
  • Happy 1

Yesterday :giggles: !

IMHO - IF there is a good time - for everyday boats sell in the late Spring (Apr/May) and buy in the early Winter (Nov/Dec), if you are selling or buying something a bit unusual then it doesn't matter, enthusiasts are active all year round.

Edited by Halsey

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

I think the boat market will be even stronger this year. Massive interest already from the April 6th pension fund releases and boats now being able to get to brokerages after stoppages/floods/ice. 

The only quiet months are December and January.

If you are buying, me sure you have a deposit ready to go as boats coming to market correctly priced will be snapped up by people on brokerages mailing lists the day they appear.

You may well be correct. You are certainly more aware of what’s happening with the market than I. It’s just a feeling I have that there is a lack of confidence building in the uk regards spending. Good advice re snapping up a boat, if you find the one you want.

3 minutes ago, ianali said:

You may well be correct. You are certainly more aware of what’s happening with the market than I. It’s just a feeling I have that there is a lack of confidence building in the uk regards spending. Good advice re snapping up a boat, if you find the one you want.

Is that the same lack of confidence that is supposed to have been around for the last couple of years?

Because if it is then boat prices and sales will continue to be strong much the same as house prices :rolleyes:

Edited by Naughty Cal

Just now, ianali said:

Nope theres plenty of confidence out there. There is a minority who seem to have lost confidence for some reason but the majority of folks so I assume the majority of boat buyers have even greater confidence than shall we say near on a couple of years ago. Cant put my finger on it but in the last couple of years boat sales have been rocketing hence the high prices, weird innitt :ninja:

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Nope theres plenty of confidence out there. There is a minority who seem to have lost confidence for some reason but the majority of folks so I assume the majority of boat buyers have even greater confidence than shall we say near on a couple of years ago. Cant put my finger on it but in the last couple of years boat sales have been rocketing hence the high prices, weird innitt :ninja:

Perhaps something yo do with most people not believing everything they hear, see or read in the news :lol:

• Happy 1

With boats sales bouyant in recent years, I wonder whether it's people buying a boat  as "cheap" housing, rather than something to go cruising with?  Quite a few recent posts seem to be folk looking for somewhere to live, which happens to be boat shaped.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, ianali said:

Il be very happy to be proved wrong about any downturn. Sales of pretty well everything seem to be heading south though. Hopefully it’s just me misinterpreting all the sales figures being released. 

Where and what?

Certainly not where we are.

4 hours ago, ianali said:

Il be very happy to be proved wrong about any downturn. Sales of pretty well everything seem to be heading south though. 

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

Where and what?

Certainly not where we are.

I think he may mean that sales are buoyant with all the boats heading South (to London)

• Haha 1

New and Used here seem to have a few decent boats sitting around for a bit recently, maybe just the bad weather and the quiet time of year. Certainly worth taking a gander at some of theirs, depending how much you want to spend, of course.