Interesting smell.....

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

We're currently moored at Fenny Stratford down the far end of the moorings furthest from the lock. Just the other side of the bridge there's a factory which, according to Google, makes flavours and fragrances.

Well. at the moment they're mass producing synthetic "strawberry". The whole area smells like Nesquik. I'm not sure if I like it or not.

MP.

8 minutes ago, philjw said:

What was it? Always smelt like burning chicken feathers to me.

Prosper DeMulder was the largest abattoir/meat renderers in the country and, at one point, the UK's largest family owned company.

Famously responsible for the spread of BSE and many other bits of dodginess.

There was the sweetly sick smell from Parr's Rocket factory in Branksome which used to waffed over Poole Harbour to our home in Arne when the wind came from the north east. As did the burn smell from Ryvita biscuits factory in Newtown

1 hour ago, MoominPapa said:

We're currently moored at Fenny Stratford down the far end of the moorings furthest from the lock. Just the other side of the bridge there's a factory which, according to Google, makes flavours and fragrances.

Well. at the moment they're mass producing synthetic "strawberry". The whole area smells like Nesquik. I'm not sure if I like it or not.

MP.

Used to cut grass on an estate in Mold and the nearby factory make shower gel and similar, whole place smelled like a cheap boudoir ( I think).

First day moving into a small flat was a day when the local place rendered all the dead farm animals down, that was rank, stopped noticing after a month

Lever bros has a soap factory just a few miles away from home as a kid and its amazing how that used to stink

Oh and finally all I can say is growing up in Ellesmere Port gave one a wierd idea of what the world smells like, always remember the smell of home fondly (not!), I think we might have similar memories of the port ? :)

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Oh and finally all I can say is growing up in Ellesmere Port gave one a wierd idea of what the world smells like, always remember the smell of home fondly (not!), I think we might have similar memories of the port ? :)

I bet you  still look out for the first sight of the flares at Stanlow as you drive back down the M56?

MP.

There was a tannery bordering on the Cammel Laird shipyard in Birkenhead.  If there's anything that smells quite as bad as that, I'd be surprised. Walking past it after a night on the beer was the ultimate test.  Mind you, a penguin colony also takes a bit of beating... 

5 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

be thankful it's not a pig farm ;)

About 30 years a housing estate was built in the Village of Throop near Christchurch next door to a Pig Farm that was listed in the Doomsday Book. The  residents than demained that the farm be shut down.

10 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

About 30 years a housing estate was built in the Village of Throop near Christchurch next door to a Pig Farm that was listed in the Doomsday Book. The  residents than demained that the farm be shut down.

The swine!

20 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

About 30 years a housing estate was built in the Village of Throop near Christchurch next door to a Pig Farm that was listed in the Doomsday Book.

The Doomsday Book listing says...

Throop - Pig Farm - Blooming stinks to high heaven