Interesting smell.....

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, Tanglewood said:

Did it not used to be a sweetie factory? (Fenny Stratford)  If you know what it is it smells better than if you don't.  What about the coffee or sometimes custard from General Foods at Banbury.  

The smell in Banbury is stomach churningly horrible. Smell it for miles and miles. 

Theres also the plant at Gallows Hill on the Market Harborough arm and John Pointons rendering plant at Cheddleton on the Caldon. Bio filters take most of the smell away but isn't nice if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction.

Black bin household waste also has a distinctive smell which on a warm day can be overpowering if moored near to a transfer station or processing facility. I've been to quite a good few of these sites the worst I ever went to was at Polmadie in Glasgow. It had pools of smelly leachate lying around and you didn't know wheter to look down to avoid treading on a dead rat or up to avoid being shat on by the pigeons!! One guy was going down some badly lit stairs and trod on a dead rat which squelched up his trouser leg - it couldn't have happened to a nicer person not!!!

1 hour ago, nb blackbeauty said:

Could be worse you could be moored at Minworth on the Birmingham and Fazeley canal when the wind is blowing from the sewage works.

A reliable and responsible gent once told me, with a perfectly straight face, that there were no odour problems at Minworth.

Mind you, he was finance director of Severn Trent at the time.

Swizzel Matlow's in New Mills on the Macc, lovely smell of Love Hearts.

There was a rendering plant in Hyde I think the area was called Saltney, the Saltney Stink. It was really bad, stomach churning. I knew a machinery fixer who had worked in there repairing the huge auger that shifted the dead animals into the mincers when it snapped. He threw up just looking into the pit.

Next morning when he went back to fix it, he said it was spotless, steam cleaned but there was a mountain of carcasses awaiting mincing, the flies were 10 thick he said.

13 hours ago, Heffalump said:

I work opposite a faccenda foods chicken factory.  The smell of 1.5 million birds a week being inhumed can be hard to shift.

I used to work almost opposite one of those too, but in a heavenly smelling chocolate factory in Banbury. 

7 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Swizzel Matlow's in New Mills on the Macc, lovely smell of Love Hearts.

There was a rendering plant in Hyde I think the area was called Saltney, the Saltney Stink. It was really bad, stomach churning. I knew a machinery fixer who had worked in there repairing the huge auger that shifted the dead animals into the mincers when it snapped. He threw up just looking into the pit.

Next morning when he went back to fix it, he said it was spotless, steam cleaned but there was a mountain of carcasses awaiting mincing, the flies were 10 thick he said.

Spaghetti bolognaise tonight, Sam? :sick:

I lived in Bournville about a mile from Cadburys for 7 years and depending on the wind strength and direction the smell was either very pleasant or rather sickly and overwhelming.

Since then whenever I've passed the factory on my boat I've never smelt the chocolate, but it could be because they don't produce as much there these days and perhaps the modern production methods mean the odour doesn't emanate from the factory so much anyway.

4 minutes ago, Bunny said:

Used to deliver to the Lush factory in Poole .... the smell of the perfumes and ingredients was overpowering. Bunny 

Mrs Sea Dog has to cross the road just to walk past one of their overpoweringly stinky shops.  I don't need any  convincing to join her either!  Who uses that stuff?  They must smell like a (inappropriate analogy avoided).  :cloud9:

Inside the HP sauce factory at Aston(?) B'ham, Quite a nice smell but it really 'took your breath away' till you got used to it.

On the other hand there was a factory up on the moors not far from Halifax where there were skips full of dead animals, think it was a fellmongers/renderers, used to drive past round about lunchtime, had to wait until I had driven at least 20 miles past it before I could face food. How the hell can anybody work in those places?

23 hours ago, David Mack said:

When I used to commute into Manchester Victoria and the wind was in the right direction, you knew when Boddingtons were brewing.

When I was five I went to a school that shared a boundary with a brewery.  For about 10 years I thought the smell in the playground was the sycamore trees ... then I went to work at the brewery ....

On 22/03/2018 at 21:07, David Mack said:

When I used to commute into Manchester Victoria and the wind was in the right direction, you knew when Boddingtons were brewing.

That's one thing I don't miss about my time at UMIST in the mid to late 1980's. The station was far bigger then as well.

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 20:04, Nightwatch said:

The smell in Banbury is stomach churningly horrible. Smell it for miles and miles. 

Come through Banbury on a good day and you are treated to the tantalizing aroma of coffee from GF/Kraft/Mondelez or whatever they call it now.  Fresh bread from Fyne laydey bread factory.  Chocolate from Barrie Callebaut.

Come through on a bad day and you get the effluent from the coffee plant, diesel fumes from the M40, and all manner of acrid metallic stuff from the foundry along the grotty bit at the southern end.