Mastervolt Inverter and charger problem

jenevers

Featured Posts

Just noticed that my Mastervolt inverter won’t stay switched on when my Mastervolt battery charger is in the “ On” position but not connected to the mains. I had been running a Vax vacuum cleaner for ten minutes via the batteries/inverter, so all was well. Twenty minutes later I noticed that the inverter had switched off. Wasn’t hot but the “on” light had gone out. I noticed that the charger switch was in the “On” position, even though it wasn’t actually running. When I switched the inverter switch off then on the “on” light went out after about 10 seconds. When I flicked the charger switch off, the inverter stayed on. Could it be there’s an anomaly in the wiring which has been unchanged for 15 years?

Edited by jenevers

Were you plugged into the shore supply? was there a 240 volt supply to the boat.  If not then I suspect the device is trying to protect itself and your batteries, from charging via the inverter which as we all know only continues until your batteries are 'shagged' and totally flattened, possibly terminally. It may make more sense to turn the charger off in this situation but I didn't design it.

2 hours ago, Detling said:

Were you plugged into the shore supply? was there a 240 volt supply to the boat.  If not then I suspect the device is trying to protect itself and your batteries, from charging via the inverter which as we all know only continues until your batteries are 'shagged' and totally flattened, possibly terminally. It may make more sense to turn the charger off in this situation but I didn't design it.

Sounds likely. Why would you have the charger switched on if you weren’t on shore power?

3 hours ago, Detling said:

No the boat wasn’t connected to a shore supply.  Although the charger was in the “ On “ position there were no charging lights lit, so it wasn’t actually running.

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Sounds likely. Why would you have the charger switched on if you weren’t on shore power?

I must have left the charger switched on whilst running the Genny and forgot to switch it to “ Off” when I turned the Genny off.

Today the inverter wouldn’t stay on for more than 5 seconds even with charger switched to “off”. What the hell?

I turned the master switch from the batteries off then back on and the inverter stayed on! Maybe the switch contacts weren’t as clean as  they should be ???? I’m baffled.

1 minute ago, jenevers said:

Today the inverter wouldn’t stay on for more than 5 seconds even with charger switched to “off”. What the hell?

I turned the master switch from the batteries off then back on and the inverter stayed on! Maybe the switch contacts weren’t as clean as  they should be ???? I’m baffled.

Yep, my Mastervolt baffled me when it developed a fault. It's now replaced, because I didn't want the down time whilst it went through the repair loop last summer.

Hmm. More fun and games today. Inverter ran OK for a while, ran the electric kettle, then turned itself off when I switched the CD player on!!!??? I noticed battery voltage was at 15.1volts on the Masterlink MICC.

On the Episolar MPPT remote control meter, I reduced the “Over voltage disconnect voltage” to 14.9v and since then the inverter has been OK. Could it be that it has a threshold and switches itself off if it’s getting 15 volts or more from the batteries? Haven’t got the inverter manual to hand.

39 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Hmm. More fun and games today. Inverter ran OK for a while, ran the electric kettle, then turned itself off when I switched the CD player on!!!??? I noticed battery voltage was at 15.1volts on the Masterlink MICC.

On the Episolar MPPT remote control meter, I reduced the “Over voltage disconnect voltage” to 14.9v and since then the inverter has been OK. Could it be that it has a threshold and switches itself off if it’s getting 15 volts or more from the batteries? Haven’t got the inverter manual to hand.

29 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Most definitely possible. 

My Mastervolt inverter manual shows the factory setting for high voltage disconnect as 15V with a +/-5% tolerance.  This is adjustable and, if yours was on the low end of tolerance at 14.25v I'd think it a bit low.  Interestingly, the high voltage alarm triggers at 16V.