Thoughts on this boat please folks.

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Or this (sorry, shouldn't have put you on to 70 ft boats yesterday:))

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=552734

So why on earth has a boat claimed to be built in 2005 got an air-cooled engine built in either the 1970s or very early 1980s, that is not exactly a "historic classic"?

Must be an interesting story - but an odd choice.  (Noisy, and will not heat domestic water, for a start - and I actually like Listers!).   Not at all what I'd expect in a boat at such a very high price!

3 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

One of the Barry Hawkins boats would get my vote, real quality.

BH boats are usually a bit too blingy for my taste, but I have to say UTRECHT is a cracker. 

Surprised Barry built any without a proper engine room.

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Begs the question given how young it is, why does it has an ST3? Were they still making them in 2005? I rather doubt it.

They were not even still making them 20 years before that, I think!

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well, Steve Hudson did, and he was aiming at a similar market. There's a rumour that a CWDF member has just such a boat..

Edited by Athy

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

At least it avoids that deliberate narrowing of the cabin so favoured by both him and RW Davies, and which I really don't get the point of at all!

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Well, Steve Hudson did, and he was aiming at a similar market.

Not really. Steve aimed at the well heeled who wanted a boat they thought was modelled on a working boat shape, when it was actually designed by Walt Disney.

Barry actually makes a reasonable stab at a well-shaped bow. 

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

So why on earth has a boat claimed to be built in 2005 got an air-cooled engine built in either the 1970s or very early 1980s, that is not exactly a "historic classic"?

Must be an interesting story - but an odd choice.  (Noisy, and will not heat domestic water, for a start - and I actually like Listers!).   Not at all what I'd expect in a boat at such a very high price!

The one I linked to claims to have been built in 2002 with a Barrus Shire engine.

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not really. Steve aimed at the well heeled who wanted a boat they thought was modelled on a working boat shape, when it was actually designed by Walt Disney.

Barry actually makes a reasonable stab at a well-shaped bow. 

See, I just KNEW you were in a windy-uppy mood this morning.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not really!

Who built your boat, by the way? I can't remember...

:giggles:

Mel Davis. Trojan is not really based on a working boat but I have always liked the shape which Mel achieved.

I quite like what Mel Davis produces. But what do I know. When I win the lottery (you have to be in it to win it) I'm really going to be in a tiz woz as to what to buy. 

Having done some of the 'northern' Canals I still wouldn't go bigger than 58' ish. Unless of course Mrs Nightwatch let's me have a sea going replica Dutch barge type of vessel. Perhaps I'm a bit old for that now, but what a way to go.

In disagreement withhe great weatherman, Mr Tim, I can't see why you need an extra long boat. Unless of course you have either ten children ora lot of junk. Just my thoughts. At 55' we have ample space. 

1 minute ago, Matt&Jo said:

The engine is a worry for me also...been fitted out very nicely....perhaps drop the price down a few k say 5k if poss and put in a modern reliable engine....  

Are you saying you'd replace the Lister or the Barras?

The engine is a worry for me also...been fitted out very nicely....perhaps drop the price down a few k say 5k if poss and put in a modern reliable engine....  

A Lister ST3 may not be (in fact, is not) modern, but Listers are noted for their longevity and reliability. If Primrose Engineering rebuilt it, from what I hear, you should have no worries.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

A Lister ST3 may not be (in fact, is not) modern, but Listers are noted for their longevity and reliability. If Primrose Engineering rebuilt it, from what I hear, you should have no worries.

Okay deffo one to think on......

Have seen this boat which we both very much like altho the paint is not to my taste with the dolly 

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=559080

So sorry for doing this its quite rude to expect you all to look at these boat and give your opinions. Last one i promise :unsure:

3000 hours on the engine tho.....

Edited by Matt&Jo
Incorrect link

Okay deffo one to think on......

Have seen this boat which we both very much like altho the paint is not to my taste with the dolly theme but

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=554378

So sorry for doing this its quite rude to expect you all to look at these boat and give your opinions. Last one i promise :unsure:

We've already done that one for you!

3 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

So sorry for doing this its quite rude to expect you all to look at these boats and give your opinions. 

No, it's not. Some of us enjoy it, and those that don't, are not forced to read it. Feel free to continue.

But this boat has already featured in the thread, has it not?

Edited by Athy

15 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Don't forget it probably won't be just the engine, you may well need new gearbox, prop, and more than likely work done to the hull bearers (move to fit new engine mount spacing).

"So why on earth has a boat claimed to be built in 2005 got an air-cooled engine built in either the 1970s or very early 1980s"

You will also need to have hull work done to add some form of water cooling (skin tanks ?).

For the cost of doing all that you could almost buy a complete boat.

Edited by Alan de Enfield