Thoughts on this boat please folks.

Featured Posts

Hi all, i know i have been very set on a nice pioneer 65 x 9 but its taking ages to save for and we have a current budget of 60k for a live aboard boat. does anyone know this vessel or can see anything of concern? Its not a widebeam but reality has kicked in and it wont be a possibility for a good few years at this rate.....so i think this meets our needs....ben for sale a while and just reduced which worrys me..... https://www.venetianmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/4146.aspx

What are vanetian like as sellers? Ehats the best way to get it down to frouds bridge.....both work full time and live southampton....canal planner sais 11 days at 7hours a day but im thinking week hols and then weekends storing in marinas etc will be the best option???? Transport costs would be mega i feel....

As always guys any thoughts or a shrewd reality check feel free u guys are great at being honest and setting newbs like me straight which we need most of the time.

Thanks, matt. 

So, Matt and Jo, Tim can probably answer any questions which you have.

Aqualines are built in Poland and are, from what I have read, well thought of. This one, while not to my taste, probably offers s good specification for a liveaboard boat and appears to have been looked after. One thing I'd question is, why did it have a survey only 2 or 3 years ago? A survey is often carried out just before a boat is offered for sale so, why are the current owners selling the boat so soon?

Aquilines are superbly built boats, or were when I used to do pdi inspections on them at New Boat Conpany. Clone craft definitely and lacking in personality as can be seen from the photos, but the high build quality cannot be seen from photos. Looks a fair price now but still not a bargain.

Tuckeys transport plus crane each end will probably set you back a shade under £2k.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

When we  moved onto Nightwatch nearly four years ago, having owning the boat for nine years beforehand, we found there was inadequate storage. We have custom made quite a bit of storage with most of the below gunwale bulkheads now having storage. I say this as an indication that amongst more considerations is where to put stuff. We are very minimal in our needs and still we had this storage issue.

The boat you're considering doesntseem to have much storage to off in my opinion. £60,000 is a good budget.

Just be aware that Venetian Marina is owned by Whilton marina and will no doubt be following the practices of its parent.
Ensure you read their T&Cs re surveys, deposits etc and get anything they say to you in writing.

Try and find out if the boat is owned by them (having taken it in part exchange) or is it really is a 'customers boat on brokerage'. One of Whilton's practices is to deny that they own any boat, but talk to folks (engineers, mechanics, tea-lady whoever)

You have very different legal rights if it is owned by Venetian ( sale of goods, fit for purpose, warranties etc)

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No one has mentioned the brokers, .. caveat empetor, and ask for your own survey.

Definitely a survey. The brokers are, I think, connected to Whilton. Relevance to this is upto the individual. We have popped in for Services in the past and have been pleased with the people there. Is the broker a different company. 

Alan de beat me to it regarding brokerage.

Edited by Nightwatch

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

Definitely a survey. The brokers are, I think, connected to Whilton. Relevance to this is upto the individual. We have popped in for Services in the past and have been pleased with the people there. Is the broker a different company.

and Ask them if they own the boat or are acting as brokers, and ask for a discount.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It would appear that it may have spent a fair proportion of its life up for sale.

That would make me ask questions - Why ?

Me too. And why they think it might have gone up in value by £15k.

Edited by rusty69

There are loads of boats for sale and loads of people sell for loads of reasons, if it has major faults the broker is not going to tell you, is he?

They know its a buyers market and asked for a premium price, now more realistic as it did not sell at the  original asking price, I don't see any "conspiracy"

Edited by LadyG

31 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If the broker owns the boat then they are legally obliged to inform you of all its faults.

Are they? That seems a bit unlikely with a second hand item. What if there is a fault they don't know about? Does this apply to all second hand goods sold by a trader?

So called up and enquired, they called the owner got all the back story and were very clear and honest about the boats condition etc so yes happy with initial contact. Need to chat with the wife a bit further as she wants to commision a new boat with the budget and get the boat as far as they can with the budget. Will mean a wait of another year tho.....

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Are they? That seems a bit unlikely with a second hand item. What if there is a fault they don't know about? Does this apply to all second hand goods sold by a trader?

Obviously not to reveal faults they don't know about (that's just being a little bit silly isn't it !)

The broker should ensure that information given to a Buyer is accurate and has pointed out known defects to the Seller.  Defects known to the broker must be pointed out to the Buyer and the Seller.

This is why you will often see a comment on the selling details (something like) "these details have been prepared from information provided by the seller / owner"  this gives the broker 'wriggle room' to say, O' I didn't know the engine block was cracked or that it had been sunk and recovered, or ...................

With regard to the 'secondhand trader' remember that a Broker is not a 'trader' and is not subject to the same legislation - I believe that Second Hand goods sold by a Trader would come under the Consumer Rights Act 2015

If your second-hand goods aren’t good enough, you could be entitled to a refund. But it depends on if you bought your items from a retailer or an individual.

There is a specific section in this Act referring to second hand goods where you have an unconditional 6 month warranty.

You'll also be covered by the Consumer Rights Act, which states that goods must be as described,  fit for purpose and of a satisfactory quality.

The seller is required to tell you about any faults or problems - just remember to factor in realistic wear and tear.

After the first six months, the burden will be on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time of delivery.

From Which :

Your second-hand shopping rights

Second-hand goods bought from online retailers are covered by the Consumer Contracts Regulations.

If you buy second-hand goods from a retailer, you're also covered by the Consumer Rights Act.

Buyer beware if you’re buying from a private seller - they don't have to draw attention to defects.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

No they guy is moving bk to dry land as he has met a partner who already has a home. The boat was prior owned by a police man who sold it to the current owner in 2013 hence the survey and prior to that 1 other owner a chinese couple who commisioned her......or so i gather. 

Boat is looking a little used but im sure at the right price point and a bit of work she could come true......so need to work out the next step....new or used.....

If you buy a new boat you pay all the profit margins of all the suppliers of all the bits that are in the new boat.

Buying a second or third hand boat has many advantages, as well as being cheaper. Faults from new will or should have been ironed out, and the general condition of the boat and its likely longevity will be more apparent to you.

Personally, I would no more buy a new boat than I would a new car, as 30% (for example) of the price you pay disappears in the first year or so.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

33 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Need to chat with the wife a bit further as she wants to commision a new boat with the budget and get the boat as far as they can with the budget.

Can you get her to explain why? 

If she says she expects a new boat will be perfect and fault free then she is in for a bit of a shock.

New boats (like houses) get delivered full of faults. The new owner then has to do a ton of running around nagging and organising to et them all ironed out. A boat five years old will have had all this unpaid work done by the previous owner for you already.

• Greenie 2