Thoughts on this boat please folks.

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

We were going to do the Erewash Canal, then we weren't and then we were d we didnt. We should have. Maybe in the future.

Its been on my doorstep for years but only ever got as far as Sandiacre then hit the pubs, run out of time and returned to Trent lock ... will definitely do it at some point in the future :) 

Rick

19 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Advisable. But lovely today :D Try getting under here with ya poxy pram hood!!

WP_20180323_09_40_17_Pro.jpg

Imagine how nice that roof would have looked with nicely polished brass mushrooms!  I know - it's never gonna happen on that boat unless there's a change of skipper!  That pipe fender wants a scrub too.

And a quick question: that roof paint - is it stolen? Only it looks a bit familiar... ;)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Imagine how nice that roof would have looked with nicely polished brass mushrooms!  I know - it's never gonna happen on that boat unless there's a change of skipper!  That pipe fender wants a scrub too.

And a quick question: that roof paint - is it stolen? Only it looks a bit familiar... ;)

:lol: Cheeky sod. It does look familiar dunnitt but any I had would have been solid by now. Don't ya just love painted mushrooms :) lifes way too short for all that polishing crap as I discovered you know when!!

27 minutes ago, dccruiser said:

Its been on my doorstep for years but only ever got as far as Sandiacre then hit the pubs, run out of time and returned to Trent lock ... will definitely do it at some point in the future :) 

Rick

Tis nice innitt if a tad shallow. Locks are about 85 feet by 15 but the bridges in front of them make some of them quite awkward for a narrowbeam which is probably why there isn't one widey moored after Sawley.

38 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Advisable. But lovely today :D Try getting under here with ya poxy pram hood!!

WP_20180323_09_40_17_Pro.jpg

That lacing hook on your hatch looks like its made to attach a pram hood to ... I am beginning to think if the truth be told you hide one in your boat and only get it out when you are on obscure parts of the system, where you arent likely to be seen by forum members! i know you will say its for a tonneau cover but i know the truth :P 

Rick

7 minutes ago, dccruiser said:

That lacing hook on your hatch looks like its made to attach a pram hood to ... I am beginning to think if the truth be told you hide one in your boat and only get it out when you are on obscure parts of the system, where you arent likely to be seen by forum members! i know you will say its for a tonneau cover but i know the truth :P 

Rick

Bloomin eck Rick you old sod keen eyed or what!! I hadn't even noticed them. Yes the boat came with a toneau cover when I bought it but I binned it I think? It may be stowed bottom of a locker come to think of it?

Not sure we'd get under there even without the poxy Pram cover. We have a top box as well. Do you like top boxes Tim?

By way of explanation. We have a top box as we only have half a boat.

Edited by Nightwatch

19 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Bloomin eck Rick you old sod keen eyed or what!! I hadn't even noticed them. Yes the boat came with a toneau cover when I bought it but I binned it I think? It may be stowed bottom of a locker come to think of it?

If you search it out i will pop a couple of windows in it for you so you have a stealth pram hood :ninja:

Rick

• Haha 1

Okay so to bring this bk on track, we have an update of affairs,

The boat was dewinterised yesterday and an offer accepted at a few k under asking price on the caveat that any remedial survey works found needs to be paid for by myself.....

During the dewinterising the webasto would not fire the pump ticks but there is alot of unburnt fuel (white smoke) coming out of the exhaust, they spoke to the seller who sais we dont have the money to fix it....could it be glow plugs perhaps and need a damb good service? Anyhoo thats the situation... whats peoples thoughts? Im startimg to scare on this 1 now

2 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Okay so to bring this bk on track, we have an update of affairs,

The boat was dewinterised yesterday and an offer accepted at a few k under asking price on the caveat that any remedial survey works found needs to be paid for by myself.....

During the dewinterising the webasto would not fire the pump ticks but there is alot of unburnt fuel (white smoke) coming out of the exhaust, they spoke to the seller who sais we dont have the money to fix it....could it be glow plugs perhaps and need a damb good service? Anyhoo thats the situation... whats peoples thoughts? Im startimg to scare on this 1 now

So, if it needs £20k spending on a new bottom - its down to you to pay for it and cannot re-negotiate the purchase price.

Is your deposit refundable if anything 'bad' is found during the survey ?

Don't act too quickly - sort out the fine print first.

16 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Yes thats the jist of it alan....1000 non refundable

So it just depends on how risk averse you are and how much you can afford to lose.

If it turns out to be a 'bad-un' and you walk away, then you lose your £1000 (ish) survey fees and your £1000 deposit.

If it is the boat that you 'must have' then I'd be sorely temped to make a revised offer considerably lower than that currently accepted - although if it still turns out to be a 'bad-un' and you pull out you still lose the £2000, but on the other side you will have an 'additional' £2000 to fund repairs.

Difficult - and only you can decide.

Totaly agree kawaton....but if he keeps doing it he wont sell......totaly unreasonable with no funds to back this sale of his he may fall flat on his arse soon enough with the marina......just hope someone is going to be honest with the next potential buyer about the webasto heating...

You can get the Webasto seen to by Days Afloat in Braunston.

Most likely to be coked up glow plugs, low battery, or sludgy fuel in pipe due to the cold recently. If you are getting white smoke it's half the battle. I wouldn't walk away from an ideal boat if it was just a Webasti fault, especially if the boat already has a solid fuel stove aboard.....with Spring rearing its head. 

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

Most likely to be coked up glow plugs, low battery, or sludgy fuel in pipe due to the cold recently. If you are getting white smoke it's half the battle. I wouldn't walk away from an ideal boat if it was just a Webasti fault, especially if the boat already has a solid fuel stove aboard.....with Spring rearing its head. 

Completely in agreement.Even a replacement webasto unit aint much money in the grand scheme of boating costs.

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

Okay

24 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Completely in agreement.Even a replacement webasto unit aint much money in the grand scheme of boating costs.

Even with all the other stuff ie not paying out for any faults on the boat after the survey...and risking loosing £1000 deposit and £850 survey?

She has had a recent-ish survey 2015 with a few bits picked up such as the cooling pipes wrong way round on engine? Seal on fire stove faulty leak around washing machine heavy rust on the base plate as never blacked......no idea if these things were ever rectified either....

We love the boat we do....leaky pram hoods and potentialy leaky windows just scares us financialy....

Edited by Matt&Jo

21 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

But it is not just the 'known problems' what about the 'unknown' that the surveyor will (hopefully) find.

If it needs £5k, £10k, or more spending on it the seller will not reduce the price and if the OP pulls out he loses not only his survey fees but his deposit as well.

The seller only has to find a few 'mugs' accepting those terms and then pulling out and he's paid for his boat.

1 minute ago, Matt&Jo said:

Okay

Even with all the other stuff ie not paying out for any faults on the boat after the survey...and risking loosing £1000 deposit and £850 survey?

She has had a recent-ish survey 2015 with a few bits picked up such as the cooling pipes wrong way round on engine? Seal on fire stove faulty leak around washing machine heavy rust on the base plate as never blacked......

We love the boat we do....leaky pram hoods and potentialy leaky windows just scares us financialy....

You posted this whilst I was typing :

A lot of small but important faults, that individually are not expensive but all add up.

What did the 2015 survey say about hull condition (bearing in mind a lot can still happen in 3 years)

3 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Okay

She has had a recent-ish survey 2015 with a few bits picked up such as the cooling pipes wrong way round on engine? Seal on fire stove faulty leak around washing machine heavy rust on the base plate as never blacked......no idea if these things were ever rectified either....

Most windows leaked on this boat when I bought it. A pain in the aress but not a hard job to rectify and now totaly watertight. If there is rust on the hull buy one without at the money as the hull IS the boat. If the seller is an arse I wouldnt give them time of day anyway plenty more boats out there with sensible sellers.