Thoughts on this boat please folks.

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Well, if boats are plentiful, why should they be getting more expensive?

Its bad news just like houses. Ok i could sell my boat for more than I paid for it without doubt but its a no win situation cos any other boat I buy will have gone up and as the price is going up it makes it harder for first time buyers just like the poxy housing market. Life without a boat is no life at all.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its bad news just like houses. Ok i could sell my boat for more than I paid for it without doubt but its a no win situation cos any other boat I buy will have gone up and as the price is going up it makes it harder for first time buyers just like the poxy housing market. Life without a boat is no life at all.

Yes its alllll relevant.....houses are just money making machines at the moment....ours has gone up 70k in under 5 years......madness...but it is all relevant unless you buy in a price stagnant area. And there are alot of them.......

Even if prices are still on the way up, an asking price of £60K for a 12 year old boat that needs (from the sound of it) quite a lot of work on leaking windows, and where covers sound on the way out sounds an eye-watering price.

The "asking" on this boat sounds at least £10K too high to me, even before you start negotiating.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

There is a cover maker on this forum. I think he posts as "Kinver". He could perhaps give you an approximate price.

Thanks very much 

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

If you contact "Kinder" too, you can get a quote on easter eggs.

Ill bear that in minder ive always been a fan of a kinder bueno

If I wanted a cruiser stern, which is no good for ccing, but great if your using it for summer jaunts, I would want it. I think the price is realistic, and maybe get a couple of k off, gets survey to check all is ok. I would ask 50k and expect to pay up to £55 to 57, if I wanted it.I think it will go soon. Just my opinion.

11 minutes ago, Timx said:

If I wanted a cruiser stern, which is no good for ccing, but great if your using it for summer jaunts, I would want it. I think the price is realistic, and maybe get a couple of k off, gets survey to check all is ok. I would ask 50k and expect to pay up to £55 to 57, if I wanted it.I think it will go soon. Just my opinion.

Why is a cruiser stern no good for cc'ing? If I was able to cc, I would almost certainly want a cruiser stern.

12 minutes ago, Timx said:

Yes we have offered a sum in that ball park Tim. Out of interest why is cruiser no good for CCing???

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Because you are standing out in the weather and it uses a lot of space up

Yes it does use space but if there is alot of storage and clever design on the boat plus a rear cover i think you will be safe and sound and dry. 

1 hour ago, Matt&Jo said:

Yes we have offered a sum in that ball park Tim. Out of interest why is cruiser no good for CCing???

I was talked out of it, when I wanted to buy one, and now I am glad I was , as I cruise through the winter, the more protection from the elements the better. I find semi trad , the best option, others will say trad, as that's the best for winter , but a bit anti social in summer.

1 hour ago, Timx said:

I was talked out of it, when I wanted to buy one, and now I am glad I was , as I cruise through the winter, the more protection from the elements the better. I find semi trad , the best option, others will say trad, as that's the best for winter , but a bit anti social in summer.

What a load of twaddle! a cruiser stern gives you another room if you have a pram hood and is a far nicer social area when cruising, most semi trads you have trouble passing another person because of the seat lockers , as for a trad having more cabin space its relative as the engine has to go somewhere, either just inside under the steps or in an engine room, either way it takes up as much space as being under the floor in a cruiser stern...

I have had and lived with all 3 and would never change back from a cruiser stern.

Rick

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

7 hours ago, dccruiser said:

What a load of twaddle!

Bit harsh dc! :D

There are advantages and disadvantages to all 3 concepts and each has its fans, but personal taste is a large part of it.  My personal taste likes the lines of a trad better, but as an engineer I particularly love the bone dry engine space my trad stern facilitates, and I quite like the more sheltered driving position without having to resort to a tent.  I'd prefer it to be even more trad so that a small epping in a proper the back cabin added to my winter comfort and my engine had its own bedroom further forward, but Mrs Sea Dog vetoed that... on personal preference grounds!  (I got to keep the torpedo tubes and the snooker table in the trade off)  I can see advantages of the other options though, a more sociable rear patio being among them.  Each to his/her own, eh?

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, dccruiser said:

What a load of twaddle! a cruiser stern gives you another room if you have a pram hood and is a far nicer social area when cruising, most semi trads you have trouble passing another person because of the seat lockers , as for a trad having more cabin space its relative as the engine has to go somewhere, either just inside under the steps or in an engine room, either way it takes up as much space as being under the floor in a cruiser stern...

I have had and lived with all 3 and would never change back from a cruiser stern.

Rick

Yep completely agree. We are talking a modern boat for modern living, its not supposed to look like something from yesteryear. Having been a long time liveaboard with every stern type my first choice all things being equal is cruiser stern a simply much nicer place to be and far safer for moving around on. Trads are awful and my present semi trad is OK but neither one thing nor the other but the boss wanted to try one out so here it is and its a good boat. The stern doesnt matter much when living aboard other things matter more. The only thing you are wrong about Rick as USUAL is the poxy, horrific greenhouse on the back B)

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yep completely agree. We are talking a modern boat for modern living, its not supposed to look like something from yesteryear. Having been a long time liveaboard with every stern type my first choice all things being equal is cruiser stern a simply much nicer place to be and far safer for moving around on. Trads are awful and my present semi trad is OK but neither one thing nor the other but the boss wanted to try one out so here it is and its a good boat. The stern doesnt matter much when living aboard other things matter more. The only thing you are wrong about Rick as USUAL is the poxy, horrific greenhouse on the back B)

I shall remind you of that while you are cruising down the Trent this summer exposed to the cold, wind and rain while we are tucked up nice and warm in our conservatory :D

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I shall remind you of that while you are cruising down the Trent this summer exposed to the cold, wind and rain while we are tucked up nice and warm in our conservatory :D

You have me wrong mi dear :D they are fine and look well with the lines of a boat shaped boat. They are horrific on a skip though.

8 hours ago, dccruiser said:

Rick

My thoughts entirely. I didn't want to get into this, 'thats my opinion' squabble. Everyone has their own preference. And yes, we have a pram hood cover. We have gone for practicality rather than good looks. (It doesn't look too bad as it happens).

Edited by Nightwatch

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

My thoughts entirely. I didn't want to get into this, 'thats my opinion' squabble. Everyone has their own preference. And yes, we have a pram hood cover. We have gone for practicality rather than good looks. (It doesn't look too bad as it happens).

Is it possible to get good looks on a narrowboat anyway?

• Haha 1