Thoughts on this boat please folks.

Featured Posts

My honest opinion is go and look at more boats and get a better gauge of what you want.   Take the dogs with you

The boats you have posted are

57ft upto 70 ft.

2 berth upto 7 berth

Cruiser, Trads and Semi Trads

Some quite different boats here, and I do feel you need to establish whats important to you

For me the Barry Hawkins is the best hands down, but if you don't need 7 berths, not being able to cruise the Pennines, increased costs, and not much space at the back for your dogs are an issue....then it rules this boat out.

Miss Mollie, isn't a patch on the BH boat, but it's smaller and may be more suited to you.

I'm looking for a boat too, and I have looked at all the 57-60ft boats you have posted....but none of them fit my personal requirements.

1 hour ago, JamesFrance said:

Steve Hudson used to complain about Barry Hawkins poaching his employees.    That probably happened the other way too.

A 70ft boat without an engine room gives much more accommodation space so good for a liveaboard.

My Hudson was 70 foot without an engine room with a superb, quiet, instantly responsive beta in the back. Loads a room for living on as is my present 68 footer. This 68 footer actualy has more interior space than the 70 foot Hudson had. I could go back to a tidddly little sixty footer but its a hell of a compromise on living space as a full time liveaboard. Sixty footer makes a sensible hobby size though.

16 minutes ago, kawaton said:

My honest opinion is go and look at more boats and get a better gauge of what you want.   Take the dogs with you

The boats you have posted are

57ft upto 70 ft.

2 berth upto 7 berth

Cruiser, Trads and Semi Trads

Some quite different boats here, and I do feel you need to establish whats important to you

For me the Barry Hawkins is the best hands down, but if you don't need 7 berths, not being able to cruise the Pennines, increased costs, and not much space at the back for your dogs are an issue....then it rules this boat out.

Miss Mollie, isn't a patch on the BH boat, but it's smaller and may be more suited to you.

I'm looking for a boat too, and I have looked at all the 57-60ft boats you have posted....but none of them fit my personal requirements.

I know my requirements but am open to exploring alternatives 60-65ft ideally and semi or cruiser.

2000 onward sprayfoam insulation...cassette toilet and multiple hot water and heat options.:D

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This boat can be ruled ouit immediately, just from the mawkish and twee painting on the side. God knows what the interior will be like!

mid_559080_2.jpg?1521394530

Ull be surprised mike....

2 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

I know my requirements but am open to exploring alternatives 60-65ft ideally and semi or cruiser.

2000 onward sprayfoam insulation...cassette toilet and multiple hot water and heat options.:D

When we were looking early last year, we were looking at a 57 ft max, reverse layout, cassette toilet as our prefered options. We bought a 63ft, pump out, normal layout.....and wouldnt change it for the world.

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

When we were looking early last year, we were looking at a 57 ft max, reverse layout, cassette toilet as our prefered options. We bought a 63ft, pump out, normal layout.....and wouldnt change it for the world.

I too was looking for 50-57ft ten years ago, for best part of a year. Looked idly at a 68ft boat that I wasn't expecting to be in the slightest bit interested in and bought it on the spot!

13 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

We used to have an Ewherefore living in our garden. It used to eat all the daffodils.

:D

Well spotted. My keyboard does have this odd habit of detaching a letter from the end of one word and welding it to the next word. I usually notice. I've no idea why it does that - my last keyboard didn't.

When we were looking to purchase we spent a weekend visiting as many places as we could looking at all sorts and ended up buying one of the first boats we had looked at a couple of weeks before, we would have saved plenty of miles travelling and a hotel bill if we had bought it when we first looked at it.  Once we had looked at lots of other boats we realised it had everything we wanted with just a couple of minor tweaks.

9 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I too was looking for 50-57ft ten years ago, for best part of a year. Looked idly at a 68ft boat that I wasn't expecting to be in the slightest bit interested in and bought it on the spot!

Once you have looked at a "bigger boat" its easy to see the benefits immediately. Its not until the thing needs licensing/blacking/painting/turning/mooring that the drawbacks become apparent:)

17 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This boat can be ruled ouit immediately, just from the mawkish and twee painting on the side. God knows what the interior will be like!

mid_559080_2.jpg?1521394530

It is indeed distinctive. Perhaps it's a portrait of the first owner as a child. Perhaps she had a beloved sausage dog. There's bound to be a story behind it.

There's a boat near us named 'Spud', which turns out to be the name of the owners' late lamented dog.

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Once you have looked at a "bigger boat" its easy to see the benefits immediately. Its not until the thing needs licensing/blacking/painting/turning/mooring that the drawbacks become apparent:)

Agree...

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I just had a  look and bejezus, white leather captains chairs in the saloon? Pale grey carpet (probably once white)? Really??

Did the owners of 'Whitefield' ever commission another boat?

Fittings are fairly easily replaced, though, at a cost, yes, but an insignificant one compared with the cost of the boat itself.

Actually, I just had a look and to me the chairs look light beige rather than white.

Edited by Athy

37 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

I know what you are saying, but looking at 70ft Trads on the net, when you know you want a 60-65ft semi or cruiser will send you mad.

Edited by kawaton