Thoughts on this boat please folks.

Featured Posts

Number of owners wouldn't necessarily trouble me providing the boat is sound. The canals are awash with boats that were their earlier owners' dreams but, after buying, those same owners woke up and discovered that they'd been dreaming! ;)

4 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I was knew to the area and hadn't employed a surveyor outside of London before.

He also negotiated the terms of my offer subject to survey.  They were based on them accepting my and his evaluation after them agreeing to paying for all works he found lacking.  As a result they did remedial welding including the tricky bit of the bottom the skeg attaches to plus a drop in asking price of £4K.

Or my deposit returned. 

Happy days!!

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Have you ruled out a 70ft boat then?

Yes thats a little too big we feel so we will be happy with 60 -65ft i know 3 ft is not alot but you can feel the difference in 52-57ft boats i think

6 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

:D i think you may of nightwatch. Valid point too no doubt. Length is king tho if you have 2 adults and two big dogs so i worry if space may be an issue...i only intend on cruising the K/A & GU really but oppertunitys to travel further afield every now and then would be a draw....

When living aboard the longer the better. If you must do the L and L and another tiny perecntage of the system then hire for a fortnight. Ten feet extra is a HUMUNGOUS difference when onboard fulltime.  A cruiser stern gives much more outside space than a semi trad.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Number of owners wouldn't necessarily trouble me providing the boat is sound. The canals are awash with boats that were their earlier owners' dreams but, after buying, those same owners woke up and discovered that they'd been dreaming! ;)

No doubt. Just hope im not 1 of them....i really want to make this move work. My wife has an ilness that will affect her as time goes on and at such a young age of 34 so its important for me we do this now and live a different life while we both can manage it together....:blush:

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

When living aboard the longer the better. If you must do the L and L and another tiny perecntage of the system then hire for a fortnight. Ten feet extra is a HUMUNGOUS difference when onboard fulltime.  A cruiser stern gives much more outside space than a semi trad.

I reckon the last ten foot on our 70ft  trad is filled with Mrs Rusty's handbags and shoes.It's a bugger getting to the engine:)

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Sound advice thank you.

• Happy 1

Just now, Matt&Jo said:

No doubt. Just hope im not 1 of them....i really want to make this move work. My wife has an ilness that will affect her as time goes on and at such a young age of 34 so its important for me we do this now and live a different life while we both can manage it together....:blush:

Just think, how many cars get stolen, how many caravans also go, how many houses get burgled, pockets picked, identity stolen, on line fraud  .

8 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

My point was boat based, not buyer based Matt. We all take a risk when we buy a boat, particularly our first.  I hope this works out well for you and that you both enjoy many happy years afloat. Best wishes. :)

11 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I reckon the last ten foot on our 70ft  trad is filled with Mrs Rusty's handbags and shoes.It's a bugger getting to the engine:)

She might find it easier if she put her handbag down.:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

I think its been said BUT given this broker the critical and direct question is - do you (or your parent company Whilton?) own it??? Check who the most recent survey was done for?

Not my type of boat but I would say it looks fair and fairly priced and a pretty safe bet - the only niggle for me is that Aqualines are sought after and this ones been around regardless of price, I think Tollhouse sold one for around £80k mid last year that wasn't that great.

IMHO be wary but don't be put off.......................do your homework, there's lots of good advice here already.

Okay been looking for boats again and seen a few but come accross this curve ball.....not entirely what im after as its a bit long at 69ft but on the face of it a spaciouse comfortable looking vessel. Cast your eye if you would be so kind. I know people say you may think you know what you want but when you see them it can change....

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=554378

Edited by Matt&Jo
Forgot to add link

9 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Okay been looking for boats again and seen a few but come accross this curve ball.....not entirely what im after as its a bit long at 69ft but on the face of it a spaciouse comfortable looking vessel. Cast your eye if you would be so kind. I know people say you may think you know what you want but when you see them it can change....

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=554378

Or this (sorry, shouldn't have put you on to 70 ft boats yesterday:))

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=552734

Decent, middle-of-the-road hull builder. Never heard of the fitter-outers.

Once thing puzzling, there is no mention I can see of the year of build. Must be pretty old to have a Lister ST3 but doesn't look it. What's the story with the odd engine, and it needing a re-build?

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Or this (sorry, shouldn't have put you on to 70 ft boats yesterday:))

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=552734

Oooh that's a handsome boat. The OP won't like it though I bet. Its all portholes!

Doesn't appear to have an engine either, reading the listing.

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Decent, middle-of-the-road hull builder. Never heard of the fitter-outers.

Once thing puzzling, there is no mention I can see of the year of build. Must be pretty old to have a Lister ST3 but doesn't look it. What's the story with the odd engine, and it needing a re-build?

Oooh that's a handsome boat. The OP won't like it though I bet. Its all portholes!

Doesn't appear to have an engine either, reading the listing.

Its a trad too. No engine is definetly a bonus, think of the fuel saving.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Must be pretty old to have a Lister ST3 but doesn't look it. What's the story with the odd engine, and it needing a re-build?

Isn't Primrose Engineering a division of the RLWP empire? If so, he will know the why and the wherefore.

Edited by Athy

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Its a trad too. No engine is definetly a bonus, think of the fuel saving.

And space for shoe storage...

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Isn't Primrose Engineering a division of the RLWP empire? If so, he will know the why and th ewherefore.

Yes it is!

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Once thing puzzling, there is no mention I can see of the year of build. Must be pretty old to have a Lister ST3 but doesn't look it.

Construction

Constructed in Steel 10/6/4 in 2005

3 minutes ago, kawaton said:

Construction

Constructed in Steel 10/6/4 in 2005

Ok thanks. Missed that.

Begs the question given how young it is, why does it has an ST3? Were they still making them in 2005? I rather doubt it. 

Perfectly good engine though, if you don't mind the tinitus :giggles: