Thoughts on this boat please folks.

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Can you get her to explain why? 

If she says she expects a new boat will be perfect and fault free then she is in for a bit of a shock.

New boats (like houses) get delivered full of faults. The new owner then has to do a ton of running around nagging and organising to et them all ironed out. A boat five years old will have had all this unpaid work done by the previous owner for you already.

She also need informing that it would be quicker to sit at the side of the canal and just set fire to a bucket full of fifty pound notes rather than give it to the VAT man and instant loss when the boat becomes " used " four seconds or so after purchase.

• Greenie 2

18 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Boat is looking a little used but im sure at the right price point and a bit of work she could come true......so need to work out the next step....new or used.....

We had a new fat-boat arrive in our Marina last year, There seemed to be someone on the boat every day for weeks - sometimes 3 people, all doing 'engineering stuff' like fixing water leaks (3 guys spent 2 days, then had to come back a further twice and still they could not sort it, they eventually said 'its a cruiser stern and you cannot stop water getting in'), touching up painting and all sorts of other little 'nuts and bolt jobs'.

I asked one of the guys if this was a common problem with these xxxx xxxxx boats and he said this has actually been a very good one as it was hand built / and 'special quality controll' to a much higher level that normal as it was a show-boat at Crick.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Ehats the best way to get it down to frouds bridge.....both work full time and live southampton....canal planner sais 11 days at 7hours a day but im thinking week hols and then weekends storing in marinas etc will be the best option???? Transport costs would be mega i feel....

Or save yourself the cost of marinas and leave the boat on the towpath for up to a fortnight between each leg of the trip. As long as you can boat at least alternate weekends you will be fine. Use the week's holiday for the first leg, then your travel to/from the boat on the remaining weekends is less. Select locations to leave the boat which are reasonably close to public transport. Then you can (say) arrive at the boat by car on the Friday night and unpack. Then on Saturday morning drive to the weekend's destination, get train/bus back (or folding bike if you are energetic) then boat back to the car. You can also do the car shuffle on a Sunday evening, but public transport tends to be poorer on a Sunday, and car-shuffling isn't always the sort of thing you want to do at the end of a trip. 

Don't dismiss the bus as a public transport option - in some parts of the country Saturday bus services are surprisingly good - check them out at http://www.traveline.info/.

• Happy 1

Still seems a bit optimistically priced to my mind.  The broker is probably allowing for about 10% wiggle room on the deal. A sale at around £55K is a bit more realistic, assuming there are no significant hidden issues.

• Happy 1

25 minutes ago, dor said:

Still seems a bit optimistically priced to my mind.  The broker is probably allowing for about 10% wiggle room on the deal. A sale at around £55K is a bit more realistic, assuming there are no significant hidden issues.

I feel similar.

Original price highly optimistic for a 12 year old boat, albeit apparently nicely fitted.

New price still no bargain.

A shame it is via Whilton / Venetian - I personally would hate to buy through them, after many of the tales that have emerged.

(Am I allowed to say the pram hood is a particularly ugly example? :D)

• Happy 1

Yes you may :giggles: i must say there is not alot about at our price point that fits the bill......rugby boats have a boat of interest. Only sold last year but now back up for sale due to lack of use.....http://rugbyboats.co.uk/listings/jemima-may-57-trad-stern-liverpool-boat-co-2005/

Issue for me is its a trad and i want a bit of cruiser space and its traditional layout.....

29 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Yes you may :giggles: i must say there is not alot about at our price point that fits the bill......rugby boats have a boat of interest. Only sold last year but now back up for sale due to lack of use.....http://rugbyboats.co.uk/listings/jemima-may-57-trad-stern-liverpool-boat-co-2005/

Issue for me is its a trad and i want a bit of cruiser space and its traditional layout.....

That one is certainly worth considering. Little used (if it's the original engine which it probably is), and I don't get your comment about space: a trad stern gives you more internal space - and you don't need a pram hood! She is three feet shorter, which may be an issue for you, but I suspect that the internal dimensions will be very similar on the two boats.

Liverpool were a mass manufacturer and their boats sometimes attract criticism because of this. We had one for several years. It was solid, handsome and there was nowt wrong with it (except that the side deck on one side was an inch wider than on the other side, but we never noticed this until we sold her and the broker (ABNB) told us.

7 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Whats the best way to get it down to frouds bridge.....both work full time and live southampton....canal planner sais 11 days at 7hours a day but im thinking week hols and then weekends storing in marinas etc will be the best option???? Transport costs would be mega i feel....

Four long weekends may be a viable option for getting the boat home, especially with long spring/summer days coming. Having two cars helps though.

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

Liverpool were a mass manufacturer and their boats sometimes attract criticism because of this.

No, they attracted criticism because they were appallingly badly built, with most coming back to New Boat Company when I worked there with snagging lists as long as both your arms once handed over to the customer. Polar opposite of Aqualine boats which we also sold, which were always flawless.

The space i want is on the tiller, we have 2 dogs and joanna my wife will be stood on the back so either cruiser or semi trad....ideally semi trad for the security of the dogs......and best internal space compromise. I prefer the aqualine boat as a whole just dont trust it for some reason......plus its a 5 hour drive :o and if i dont like it a bloody waste of time and fuel to boot.... we have found that 80% of boats visited do not live up to their images....but they want footfall and good piks draw you in. 

I am ready to see the potential over the immediate so i dont want extreme levels of bling and high gloss white units etc etc. Wifey does tho :rolleyes: bless her, its a boat not an apartment 

4 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

i dont want extreme levels of bling and high gloss white units etc etc. Wifey does tho :rolleyes: bless her

Is she really telling you she isn't fully committed to a life afloat, then? There would seem to be a world of disillusionment waiting for her there.

4 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

plus its a 5 hour drive

Finding the right boat always involves a lot of travel time and cost, but it is a very large expenditure so the outlay is worth it in the long run.

Boating isn't the cheap option -- ever. You will be aware that B-O-A-T is an acronym.

Edited by Machpoint005
sp.

No she knows what she is letting herself in for she loves roughing it wild camping and alike and is very keen to make the change its just we were going to sell our house to fund this move and had a larger blingy budget but if we stick to 60k we can rent out our current home draw from the rent and work part time....at 34 for us both thats not bad and allows us quality time together. We like to kayak so ill be doing alot of that as and when :D

14 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

plus its a 5 hour drive :o and if i dont like it a bloody waste of time and fuel to boot....

Its NEVER a 'bloody waste of time' looking at a boat. You learn stacks of stuff about what you like and what you don't like. 

The fact that you are reluctant to spend five hours looking at a likely candidate suggests to me you're in for a rude awakening on the 'wasted time' front should you decide to go for a new build. You'll 'waste' 5 hours dozens of times over interviewing builders then visiting the Chosen One during the build. 

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

The space i want is on the tiller, we have 2 dogs and joanna my wife will be stood on the back so either cruiser or semi trad...

In that case yes, cruiser may be better for you. 

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Its NEVER a 'bloody waste of time' looking at a boat. You learn stacks of stuff about what you like and what you don't like. 

The fact that you are reluctant to spend five hours looking at a likely candidate suggests to me you're in for a rude awakening on the 'wasted time' front should you decide to go for a new build. You'll 'waste' 5 hours dozens of times over interviewing builders then visiting the Chosen One during the build. 

That a fair point mike.....weve had so many runs up to crick and northampton and rugby etc etc its a bit of a constant in our life at the mo :mellow:

1 minute ago, Athy said:

In that case yes, cruiser may be better for you. 

Yes our thoughts....we have seen like a material shroud you wrap around the crusier stern area to stop things or people or animals falling into the canal so from an all round consideration its a good move i think

I bought a boat from Whilton.

I even choose a surveyor off their own list.

The first thing he did was to take me into their office and question the management as to who owned the boat. They replied they did as they'd taken it part chop. They confirmed I would get all purchasers' in accordance with The SoGA.

That's only part of the story it was all good.

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I bought a boat from Whilton.

I even choose a surveyor off their own list.

The first thing he did was to take me into their office and question the management as to who owned the boat. They replied they did as they'd taken it part chop. They confirmed I would get all purchasers' in accordance with The SoGA.

That's only part of the story it was all good.

Okay so your experience with them was reasonable? Id be annoyed if it came to fruition they owned the boat as i asked this up front from the guidance of good folk on here and they categoricaly said no...

Im tempted to go and see it....55k is about right i reckon.

...... and if I were to go into Sainsbury's and they were to deliberately mislead me about the provenance of one of their own brand items then I also would be annoyed.

It's never happened to me, but perhaps we should all be aware of supermarkets.

The tales about Whilton always seem to be third hand, let's have some first hand. Mine is first hand.

5 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

The tales about Whilton always seem to be third hand, let's have some first hand. Mine is first hand.

The ghastly experience I had trying to buy a boat from them (which I recount here from time to time) was first hand. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Edit as I repeated myself.

12 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

...... and if I were to go into Sainsbury's and they were to deliberately mislead me about the provenance of one of their own brand items then I also would be annoyed.

It's never happened to me, but perhaps we should all be aware of supermarkets.

Glad there are some positive stories from these main stream sellers. Id probably gwt an indi surveyor tho....who doesnt love a bit of impartiality every now and then.

I know some sellers/brokers say once you put an offer in its binding unless something substantial is found wrong with the boat on survey but tgey can have a difference of opinion on what substantial is and who is liable to pay for this substabtial issue....

5 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Jemima May is by far the better boat. Losing three foot off the length means you can do all the system. Loads of storage, which is a passion of mine, did I mention that? 

:D i think you may of nightwatch. Valid point too no doubt. Length is king tho if you have 2 adults and two big dogs so i worry if space may be an issue...i only intend on cruising the K/A & GU really but oppertunitys to travel further afield every now and then would be a draw....

I was knew to the area and hadn't employed a surveyor outside of London before.

He also negotiated the terms of my offer subject to survey.  They were based on them accepting my and his evaluation after them agreeing to paying for all works he found lacking.  As a result they did remedial welding including the tricky bit of the bottom the skeg attaches to plus a drop in asking price of £4K.

Or my deposit returned. 

5 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

:D i think you may of nightwatch. Valid point too no doubt. Length is king tho if you have 2 adults and two big dogs so i worry if space may be an issue...i only intend on cruising the K/A & GU really but oppertunitys to travel further afield every now and then would be a draw....

Have you ruled out a 70ft boat then?