Cruiser stern "dodger"

STIG

Featured Posts

We've got a dirty great front cratch in black which attracts a bit of algae from time to time.  The Vice-Captain bought some 'Back-to-Black' from a car accessory shop and uses that (for plastic car bumpers, etc) - gives a nice shiny finish and the algae seems to slide off for a while.

Edited by Opener

On 20/03/2018 at 10:28, Dr Bob said:

Right, here is a few shots of the boat moored next to us in the marina. Hope they dont mind. It was re-painted last year.

It looks like sheet steel welded to the base and the uprights but the join to the top looks perfect - as if it is one piece - but that doesnt make sense due to the circular design of the stern.

We've just got canvas type dodgers, with the odd splash of green to give it Character.

stern-094650.jpg

stern-094610.jpg

Very nice - but, how do you get off when you are moored stern to?  Especially if you have small people or dawgs...

2 minutes ago, lockedout said:

Very nice - but, how do you get off when you are moored stern to?  Especially if you have small people or dawgs...

In my  years of living aboard I have never had to embark/disembark directly over the arse end. Why and when do  u envisage doing that?

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

In my  years of living aboard I have never had to embark/disembark directly over the arse end. Why and when do  u envisage doing that?

Every time we get on the boat when parked in the Marina.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

I was just going to say that....apart from the years of living aboard....and when we did, it was only in the Med that you had to do that. Can't see me needing to moor stern to on an NB.

1 minute ago, lockedout said:

Every time we get on the boat when parked in the Marina.

Doesnt your marina have pontoons?

5 minutes ago, lockedout said:

You step carefully along the outside edge, place one foot on the timber edging of the bank, which is greasy after the rain, skid and end up @rse first in the drink! With one foot entangled in next doors mooring line.  Just glad there were no spectators!

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

I was just going to say that....apart from the years of living aboard....and when we did, it was only in the Med that you had to do that. Can't see me needing to moor stern to on an NB.

We did a stern berth at Izmir in turkey in about 76 thats the only time I have ever done it.

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Yup - if you want to pay for a 'Premium' berth.  ~I don't!

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Well, I have just invested in a 5L container of it. I will see how it works and report back....in 6 months.

While Wet and Forget is great stuff for getting rid of aelgae from canopies DON'T let it touch the window panels in the covers. I used it on Kelpie and I must admit to being a wee bit enthusiastic when applying it to the cratch cover and some went on the window. Within months the windows were no longer see through and looked horrible. We have just have then replaced. 

Wet and Forget worked a treat on the cratch cover material and I will use it again - carefully!

haggis

1 minute ago, lockedout said:

Yup - if you want to pay for a 'Premium' berth.  ~I don't!

Premium berth!! Blimey how basic is yours? Is this in some rip off area of the big crappy southern city by any chance?

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Premium berth!! Blimey how basic is yours? Is this in some rip off area of the big crappy southern city by any chance?

You're not too far off.  Having said that, I have seen Marinas elsewhere around the network with similar arrangements.

8 minutes ago, haggis said:

While Wet and Forget is great stuff for getting rid of aelgae from canopies DON'T let it touch the window panels in the covers. I used it on Kelpie and I must admit to being a wee bit enthusiastic when applying it to the cratch cover and some went on the window. Within months the windows were no longer see through and looked horrible. We have just have then replaced. 

Wet and Forget worked a treat on the cratch cover material and I will use it again - carefully!

haggis

Yes, thanks Haggis. I saw your earlier post on that. I think I will use a paint brush to make sure it only goes on the algae.

1 hour ago, Opener said:

We've got a dirty great front cratch in black which attracts a bit of algae from time to time.  The Vice-Captain bought some 'Back-to-Black' from a car accessory shop and uses that (for plastic car bumpers, etc) - gives a nice shiny finish and the algae seems to slide off for a while.

Nasty evil silicone. Your painter will call you names the next time he has to do any. 

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

It's neither a given, nor is it just down south it occurs - Hawne Basin is one example I can think of.

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Yes, thanks Haggis. I saw your earlier post on that. I think I will use a paint brush to make sure it only goes on the algae.

Crikey, I don't think I could be bothered to paint algae.

On 13/04/2018 at 16:30, mrsmelly said:

Never moorred at Norbury Junction when its busy then?

Edited by cuthound

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/04/2018 at 16:37, haggis said:

haggis

My Wet and Forget arrived today.

Can it be used with the cratch cover in situ, or the it be removed?

How do you apply it without getting it on the plastic windows?

Does it mark the paintwork? 

12 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I used it with the cratch in situ but I made the mistake of mixing it in a pail and applying it with a jumbo sponge 

I put plenty on and that is how I found that it discolored the windows ( have just had them replaced). No sign off it damaging paintwork 

Its works well but I will be much more careful if I need to do it again 

Haggis 

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Have you read the instructions on the bottle?

I mean the bit about it being long term lethal for aquatic life

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

I'm going to paint it on with a paintbrush. As soon as I take the pray hood off....once summer comes....after the weekend.

11 hours ago, haggis said:

I used it with the cratch in situ but I made the mistake of mixing it in a pail and applying it with a jumbo sponge 

I put plenty on and that is how I found that it discolored the windows ( have just had them replaced). No sign off it damaging paintwork 

Its works well but I will be much more careful if I need to do it again 

Haggis 

Thanks Haggis. Much appreciated.

9 hours ago, Rebotco said:

Have you read the instructions on the bottle?

I mean the bit about it being long term lethal for aquatic life

Yes, that's one of the reasons why I was asking the best way to apply it.

9 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I'm going to paint it on with a paintbrush. As soon as I take the pray hood off....once summer comes....after the weekend.

Yes, that's how I have applied Renovo products in the past.

Cratch cover off and laid on the garage floor. Cleaner, colour restorer and waterproofer painted on.

That's how I'll do it today.