Cruiser stern "dodger"

STIG

Featured Posts

We have at the moment a canvass dodger and canopy, getting a little tired of it constantly getting green algae especially at the bottom of the dodger, we clean and waterproof it each year but it`s a big job. I was wondering if anyone else out there has ever considered a full metal dodger, I have seen these on boats but never taken much notice until now and I can`t find one anywhere. So if anyone has any ideas/photos of their boat, what metal would be ideal and where to start. Any ideas greatly appreciated

• Greenie 3

21 minutes ago, STIG said:

We have at the moment a canvass dodger and canopy, getting a little tired of it constantly getting green algae especially at the bottom of the dodger, we clean and waterproof it each year but it`s a big job. I was wondering if anyone else out there has ever considered a full metal dodger, I have seen these on boats but never taken much notice until now and I can`t find one anywhere. So if anyone has any ideas/photos of their boat, what metal would be ideal and where to start. Any ideas greatly appreciated

Hi Stig.

Firstly, DONT use mercury. It's not recommended for dodgers.

Greenies are 'reputation' points that you give someone who gives you useful information. They can also be used to reward someone for cracking a funny joke. In extreme cases, nah let's call it most of the time, you give them if someone goes totally of topic. They do run out. You need a PhD to work out how many you have per day.

Now, back to dodgers. The boat next to us has some metal dodgers. When I can be bothered to get out of bed I will take a photo of it and post it here. Might take a few hours.

I fitted metal down sheeting between the stern rail and the inside of the gunwale and am very happy with it. The one drawback is its hard to get access to paint the back of the hull bands.

I as changing from two diagonal stern rails to a single all in one job so had the welder fit a down stand to the underside of the new rail so in my case it was just a matter of making card templates, cutting and bending the steel sheets and fixing. In my case this was made harder and a worse cosmetic job than it could have been by the yard ignoring my instructions and also not fitting the rail central to the boat.

This is the best photo I can find

downsheet.JPG

Right, here is a few shots of the boat moored next to us in the marina. Hope they dont mind. It was re-painted last year.

It looks like sheet steel welded to the base and the uprights but the join to the top looks perfect - as if it is one piece - but that doesnt make sense due to the circular design of the stern.

We've just got canvas type dodgers, with the odd splash of green to give it Character.

stern-094650.jpg

stern-094610.jpg

2 hours ago, STIG said:

You wouldn't notice the green algae if you fitted a green algae coloured dosger. :closedeyes:

If you spray the diluted product on the canvas and boat deck on a dry calm day there should be no need for any run off into the canal/river.   The idea is it dries onto the surface.You need to pick a dry day to apply the product. Then leave it to work and avoid any temptation to wash it off. 

I used Patio Magic last autumn and it has kept the canvas and the side decks free of any green algae or moss. Also works at home on the conservatory roof, roof tiles and the patio. 

If using Wet and Forget (which is very effective at getting rid of algae on canopies), don't let any of it gets near any "perspex"  windows as it will rot the stitching and make the windows non see through. 

Haggis 

Am I the only one who thinks dodgers are a practical idea on yachts but look a bit naff on narrowboats?  Or that canvas dodgers look a bit naff on narrowboats, but metal ones look like something to do with a circus? 

I am? OK, I'll get my coat...

5 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Am I the only one who thinks dodgers are a practical idea on yachts but look a bit naff on narrowboats?  Or that canvas dodgers look a bit naff on narrowboats, but metal ones look like something to do with a circus? 

I am? OK, I'll get my coat...

I reckon they're a necessity on a yacht (pity none on ours), and not required on a n/b (glad theirs none on ours):)

22 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Ever thought about toddlers and crawlers? That is why I did ours, a few less gaps to watch.

That'll be the circus bit explained then Tony! :D

Must be a bit of a blessing in a following wind too I'd have thought. The dodger, not the ankle biters.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

No

Eeeeeejut! Keeps the son's dog and the grandchildren (well the ones that are beyond crawling) on the cruiser deck without them deciding to go for a swim. Brilliant invention. Never had them on our lumpy water boat.

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Eeeeeejut! Keeps the son's dog and the grandchildren (well the ones that are beyond crawling) on the cruiser deck without them deciding to go for a swim. Brilliant invention. Never had them on our lumpy water boat.

But I haven't got a sun dog or grandchildren!

• Haha 1