“J” pistons project and a recently formed Kelvin Engine Owners Group

gbclive

Featured Posts

Some of you may not be aware that there is a recently formed “Kelvin Engine Owners Group” on the dreaded FaceBook ;)

(I  broke the habit of a lifetime and created an account but have attempted to limit my involvement to just that one group.)

This is a closed group - you have to apply to join.

I have ordered a couple of spare J series pistons that one of the the groups administrators is about to have cast then machined - just an insurance policy on my part.

Standard or oversized rings are also an option.

If you are at all interest in joining the project, time is of the essence as the second and final batch of pistons will be cast in a weeks time.

I’m not an engineer (sadly) so I’m only flagging up the information ;)

Agra Engineering do Arrow brand pistons for the J.  The minimum order last time I had some was 20 IIRC. 

They also do heads but they are the version with the petrol combustion chamber offset to one side a little (as supplied by Kyle St at one time so not a QC problem by Agra).  Again minimum order was 20.

N

PS .  Will there be any liners to match the pistons?

There may be more members if Farcebook  wasn't a requirement of joining:huh:.

Would there be anything useful to be gained by membership  for the less than half dozen Kelvin F2/4   inland users in the UK or is it an exclusive  club for Jays and Kays ?

Then there's the Ayes, Bees, Ees, Ells, Ares and Tees? 

• Greenie 1

Agra Engineering have been approached regarding these parts but they now have a minimum order of 300 pieces. Also unfortunately the last batch they produced were poor quality and not to the correct dimensions which leaves you in a difficult position when they have already been paid for them. Pistons are being made in both standard size and 40 thou over, this will allow liners to be cleaned out and reused. 

KSG Admin 

1 hour ago, Trumansoast said:

Agra Engineering have been approached regarding these parts but they now have a minimum order of 300 pieces. Also unfortunately the last batch they produced were poor quality and not to the correct dimensions which leaves you in a difficult position when they have already been paid for them. Pistons are being made in both standard size and 40 thou over, this will allow liners to be cleaned out and reused. 

KSG Admin 

Welcome to the forum.

What is KSG?

I'm curious about why Agra Engineering have been approached again for more pistons if the last batch they produced were wrong. Did they sort it out or tell you to get lost last time around?

I suspect the increased minimum order of 300 is code for 'we don't want the job'. 

The Kelvin Spares Group was the name chosen by a group of Kelvin engine owners who clubbed together about 5 years ago to transport and store a quantity of engine parts that were possibly destined for the scrapman.  

We had been told that Agra Engineering had upped their game so we thought it was worth enquiring with them, the previous batch had been supplied some years ago. Either they didn't want the job or they like many Indian companies they are improving quality but also upping the quantities that they will deal with. 

• Greenie 1

I was given these liners years ago and I always assumed they would fit my K2 Kelvin.  However, I've been told that they aren't the same as the usual K liners.  Any idea what they are for and, more to the point, can anyone make use of them?

P1090252.jpg.ace492592bc3d352e5270fc8e6257ccf.jpg

P1090250.jpg.5b32b1252c723f1623948f7e55db1d08.jpg

P1090253.jpg.10b36cd0ebdc0a76d9997ec288fa2ed3.jpg

The bore, if it matches the size on the box,  is right for a J ( and far too small for a K)  but those are nothing like the Model J liners I have.

What is the actual bore please?  I suspect this may for either an R or a T if it is a Kelvin Liner at all.

N

That's the same bore as the F too and the B but I doubt there are any of them left!! The F doesn't have a liner unless the block has been sleeved, the bore doesn't match any of the poppet valve engines either.

Tom