Tax and insurance on a new build

Featured Posts

Halcyon has been a good little boat and taught me a lot over this past 4 years, but the time has come to have a new boat built. I'm only having a shell with an engine made, it's my project to complete everything else. The steel is ordered and paid for, so the build should start within the next couple of weeks. It's being built only a mile away from my home marina. When the steel is finished, I'll have about 7 days to start on the interior, fit the windows and vents and get her water tight, we'll then launch and drive the mile or so to home base. Once there, all my personal things will be taken off Halcyon and placed onto new boat, which will be called KenDorR. Once this is done, KenDorR will be taken out of the water and placed on the hard standing while I get the fit-out started. I'm hoping then to have enough done to be put back in the water and go cruising in the summer.

So

1) Do I need to tax KenDorR as soon as she is first launched, even though she will be on dry land 'till July?

2) I'm assuming I should get insurance straight away, but should I value as a shell or as a completed boat?

3) Do I need to go to C&RT for a number, or is that done through the marina?

4) and how much does the number and registration cost?

I know it's the wrong forum, but just a heads up that Halcyon will be for sale soon, if anyone is looking for a cosy little 36' cruiser stern which sleeps 3 adults, or 2 adults and 2 children and has (my opinion) been well looked after and updated for 4 years.

PM me if you would like any further info.

Kevin

P1010284.JPG

P1010479.JPG

You don't need a BSS or licence to move it with C&RTs permission (which shall not be unreasonably withheld) but you will need a minimum of 3rd party insurance.

An insurer will not allow you to insure it for more than its 'current worth' so insure it for its cost, then as its value increase due to your fit-out, increase the insured value.

You apply directly to C&RT for the registration number and it costs £20 (inc the plate)

From the 1995 Act :

Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (a) above, the Board shall not withhold their consent under this subsection to the movement or use of a vessel for the purpose of taking it to a place where it may be repaired or modified so as to comply with the standards applicable to it, or for the purpose of taking the vessel to be destroyed, unless such movement or use would give rise to the risk of obstruction or danger to navigation or to persons or property.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I listened to advice from forum contributors. Bought a sailaway- windows in, primed, water tank in, fuel tank and engine in. I had it delivered to a location near my home (private car park at a kennels) and worked on it seven days a week virtually on my own from Oct. 2016 and had it put in the water beginning August 2017. Internal wiring cupboard ( inverter etc. completed by professionals) on launching. BSS then completed beginning August. It was then liveable and whilst there was then a period last Autumn when we moved the boat up to near Lymm for professional painting it was to all intent and purposes very usable etc. and we`re looking forward to this Summer on the canals starting beginning of April.

Didn`t need to licence, tax or even bother to insure until put in the water

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I insured mine while fitting it out on land as you never know what could happen.

Which is sound advice. Expect the unexpected. There have been several fires on boats on hard standing in recent years.

• 2 years later...
On 18/03/2018 at 16:28, system 4-50 said:

Towergate sold me insurance for my sailaway that covered on land and tapered value as the fitout proceeded without me having to tell them progress.

I am in a similar position. What was the name of the Towergate insurance cover you purchased, was it a Builders Cover policy?

2 hours ago, Antarcticarian said:

I am in a similar position. What was the name of the Towergate insurance cover you purchased, was it a Builders Cover policy?

The Towergate policy I bought was just "their policy", tailored to what I needed / was doing.  I think they give it a fancy name which they change every year and which I ignore.  They also send me an apology letter about once a year telling me that they have made some more mistakes in their documentation, which I also ignore. Their telephone line is good and I've not had to claim so I can't comment on that side of the operation.  

39 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

The Towergate policy I bought was just "their policy", tailored to what I needed / was doing.  I think they give it a fancy name which they change every year and which I ignore.  They also send me an apology letter about once a year telling me that they have made some more mistakes in their documentation, which I also ignore. Their telephone line is good and I've not had to claim so I can't comment on that side of the operation.  

my experience too, they are used to this just ask to speak to someone that deals with narrowboats