Bolts through transom

M-S-D

Featured Posts

Hi

I read somewhere about it being a good idea if bolting through the transom (especially below water line), to drill an oversized hole, epoxy this, and then drill again the required diameter.

This seemed to make decent sense (unless you guys have other experiences).

For those that have done it, just looking for a steer on how much larger the epoxy hole ought to be?

So say it was a M12 bolt (12mm), what would you drill to fill?

Cheers

9 minutes ago, M-S-D said:

Hi

I read somewhere about it being a good idea if bolting through the transom (especially below water line), to drill an oversized hole, epoxy this, and then drill again the required diameter.

This seemed to make decent sense (unless you guys have other experiences).

For those that have done it, just looking for a steer on how much larger the epoxy hole ought to be?

So say it was a M12 bolt (12mm), what would you drill to fill?

Cheers

I have just used the correct sized hole, a 'penny washer' and waterproof sealer liberally daubed on the bolt, washer and transom.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

... at school in the days when the 'cane' was a recognised form of punishment.

Whereas now it appears that one has to pay quite handsomely for the same service.  I understand supply and demand, but quite how the ladies who offer that particular service today arranged for teachers of the past to dish out their loss-leader for them amazes me! 

one does wonder, but the fact is that they very astutely encouraged it to get the young scrotes addicted at an early age.  ................. perhaps those masters dishing it out were already addicted to the M element and looked to vary the experience with the S element.........   quite how the senior prefects who did the deed in many schools got into the mix is not so clear - unless it was a tradition for newly elected prefects to be initiated during a weekend trip to Soho.