To move or not to move.

p6rob

Featured Posts

My boat is being lifted out on Wednesday for overplating. Between where I am in Radford Semele to where it's been lifted, Stockton top lock, there are 6 miles and 20 locks.

If it still stands, I had an offer of help for today but that might change when they see the 3 inches of snow.

I'm tied up with other stuff for the next three weeks, so can't delay the lift. Do I move today or hope for better weather between now and Tuesday? I should be at work and would have to single hand. 

Rob

Hi Rob,

As Matty said wait until next week its supposed to be warming up after today i would help you if i could but getting to and from you would be a problem and i'm supposed to be going away next week sometime :(

6 hours ago, matty40s said:

Monday and Tuesday will see slightly better temps and Monday should be a fairly sunny day. I wouldn't be doing any locks today as just getting on and off would be dangerous.

Lightweight! We’ve done 13 locks so far today including Bratch. As far as I can tell we haven’t lost any crew members yet.

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

As far as I can tell we haven’t lost any crew members yet.

This is why I always have my crew standing to attention on the forecastle as we leave locks or sail from moorings. It's then possible to assess whether everyone is aboard with a simple glance ahead.  Mind you, when I call the crew to muster, she usually just tells me to bugger off - but that's  still enough to tell where she is. :)

• Haha 3

Well, it's done. The snow wasn't as deep as it looked this morning.

Not the most pleasant of journeys but it's been good to go this way again. Now in the boat inn having a punt before the taxi turns up.

6 minutes ago, p6rob said:

Not the most pleasant of journeys but it's been good to go this way again. Now in the boat inn having a punt before the taxi turns up.

I definetely wouldn't go out on a punt in this weather,although I would have a punt on someone falling in after a few punts in the local pub:)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, p6rob said:

Well done. I almost moved but then didn't.

We moved today too from the Folly to Fenny Compton  doing 9 locks. Although there was no ice on the canal it was very cold and when we set off after a pause to have lunch the ropes were frozen solid. Glad it's to be a wee bit warmer tomorrow 

Haggis 

Edited by haggis
  • Greenie 1

7 hours ago, haggis said:

the ropes were frozen solid.

Ah yes I remember that once. My centre line was nicely coiled on the roof and when I grabbed the end of it from the middle, the whole coil lifted up in my hand off the roof in one circular piece, like a dustbin lid!

Sun is shining this morning but the wind is still freezing. Both fans whizzing round with the Sterling out performing the Ecofan. If this weather is to continue we might head back to our mooring rather than go further down the Oxford as we planned 

Haggis 

Edited by haggis