Revenge of the Beast from the East (Part 2)

blackrose

Featured Posts

We had an interesting landing back on our home mooring in blizzard conditions. But any landing you can walk away from is a good one!

The walk back from the pub last night was also cold and interesting. It resembled a scene from The Day After Tomorrow. 

Woke to quite a covering of snow this morning. Official advice from both Lincolnshire and South Yorkshire police is only travel if necessary so what better excuse to stay at the boat. 

20180318_075844.jpg

20180318_082254.jpg

20180318_082535.jpg

On 3/18/2018 at 10:34, Naughty Cal said:

Official advice from both Lincolnshire and South Yorkshire police is only travel if necessary so what better excuse to stay at the boat. 

Yup. There was an Amber Weather Warning extending from south of Leicester to Bradford for yesterday, but I drove from Aylesbury to Hebden Bridge yesterday afternoon without any problems. Roads were clear and traffic was light.

And this morning its all melting rapidly.

49 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Yup. There was an Amber Weather Warning extending from south of Leicester to Bradford for yesterday, but I drove from Aylesbury to Hebden Bridge yesterday afternoon without any problems. Roads were clear and traffic was light.

And this morning its all melting rapidly.

It wasn't worth us venturing out. We had a nice day in with the heating on reading a good book then nipped across to Harbour Lights early evening for Sunday dinner, which was spot on. The beef was cooked to perfection as was the Yorkshire pudding and the calamari starter was very nice also.

Set off this morning at 6am to head back to Sheffield and the roads were clear. In fact we have a quicker then usual run back for a Monday morning! 

45 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Ah, summer at last.

20180319_131351.jpg

Yup it’s amazing what a bit of sun does. Still a freezing wind though! We’ve come up Stourbridge 16 and Delph 8 this morning, me cowering in the trad stern hatch with engine room heater on, and Jeff staying warm by wheeling 24 locks!

• Greenie 1

We chickened out again and didn't move. The snow is melting but the wind is freezing. I keep looking at the waves on the canal to see if it is dying down but sadly not 

I think this is the first time in about 35 years boating that we have stayed put all day and we have done it twice on this trip. 

Haggis 

28 minutes ago, haggis said:

We chickened out again and didn't move. The snow is melting but the wind is freezing. I keep looking at the waves on the canal to see if it is dying down but sadly not 

I think this is the first time in about 35 years boating that we have stayed put all day and we have done it twice on this trip. 

Haggis 

Soft southern flatlanders!:D

Although I do notice that it’s 1C here and 4C in Aberdeen! Anyway, Jeff is driving and I’m too hot next to the stove!

Of course, once hypothermia sets in, you don’t feel cold at all.

Edited by nicknorman

Our situation is not improved by the inefficiency of the (small)  boat stove which was on the boat when we bought it 

It has been threatened with replacement several times but kept getting a reprieve till we bought a new stove when we were out in January. Sadly the boatyard haven't had time to fit it yet but hopefully this will be our last trip with an Inefficient stove. Thank goodness for a good central heating system!

Haggis 

38 minutes ago, haggis said:

Our situation is not improved by the inefficiency of the (small)  boat stove which was on the boat when we bought it 

It has been threatened with replacement several times but kept getting a reprieve till we bought a new stove when we were out in January. Sadly the boatyard haven't had time to fit it yet but hopefully this will be our last trip with an Inefficient stove. Thank goodness for a good central heating system!

Haggis 

One of the best mods I did was a heat exchanger so the radiators can be heated by the waste heat from the engine, “Free” heat whilst cruising. With the stove at the front, it means that the mid and back of the boat can be nice and warm too. You should get Iain on to it!

10 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

One of the best mods I did was a heat exchanger so the radiators can be heated by the waste heat from the engine, “Free” heat whilst cruising. With the stove at the front, it means that the mid and back of the boat can be nice and warm too. You should get Iain on to it!

He did that on copperkins!  possibly one of the TUIT jobs on kelpie :-) 

Haggis