Docking need to get job done cheaply

Jrtm

Featured Posts

Ive contacted a few places, cowroast said they would slip a wooden boat, advised using jem, (not going to happen if i dont have to)

Still waiting on a friend

Acs (happy to use them in contact with them) although i did try to become a paid member before and didnt get much luck when i was trying to sort out a mooring before, have spoken to them and ill have to pay to become a temp member but would rather join fully. But either way unless my friends contact comes good ill prob head to aylesbury as we didnt get to the bottom of the arm last winter + give me an excuse to see old school friends as there all from there.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I guess someone didn't like the term Pikey 

I didnt notice till i logged on, what amused me more was some of the words were taken out but not every time! Now you read some of the posts they make no sence at all!

On 18/03/2018 at 10:05, David Mack said:

Not sure I would fancy putting a 70 ft wooden boat on the ACS trolley. There'd be too much unsupported boat overhanging.

20180318_094422.jpg.0ac506b0d332f9f56333c22d1a6363f4.jpg

Wouldn't it be worse with two webbing strops and a crane? 

3 hours ago, Rickent said:

I must admit it's not a very complimentary term but some people are just too sensitive.

Unfortunately the travelling community take great offence to the term and I know of a few forums which have been threatened with legal action if they didn't remove the term from posts.

2 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Wouldn't it be worse with two webbing strops and a crane? 

With two strops and 1 crane I would not even think about it.  As I  said earlier when ACS lifted the wooden boat Plieades many years ago ( to scrap it as it kept sinking on the moorings, the owners had ben rehomed and there was no possibility of them repairing it)  there were two cranes and  4 strops and we still broke the boat in half.

N

22 hours ago, BEngo said:

With two strops and 1 crane I would not even think about it.  As I  said earlier when ACS lifted the wooden boat Plieades many years ago ( to scrap it as it kept sinking on the moorings, the owners had ben rehomed and there was no possibility of them repairing it)  there were two cranes and  4 strops and we still broke the boat in half.

N

You ov didnt see wever dane getting put back in the water im sure this was done with 1 crane and 2 straps

On 3/16/2018 at 18:36, billybobbooth said:

Anyone know the best sections of canal that get low and high i.e a foot

Ice has pulled a bit of pitch out need to put some back in but its on first plank just below counter cant quite reach with water level as is and no taking balast out wont help. But might be able move some about to get bit of an angle.

Shame the top locks of aylesbury arm arnt wider as not sure i could get the spot. + dont wanna hold canal up or waste water but somewhere that drops down over night is perfect.

Dunstable boat club has a slip where you could get your stern up.

There's a leaky pound about 3 locks down from Cowroast which often empties overnight.

Winkwell dry dock if you don't want to use the one at Bulbourne.

On 18/03/2018 at 10:12, BEngo said:

In the case of Towy the need is just to lift the stern a little so even if the job is not accessible by wading down the slipway, any boat hanging off the trolley should still be supported by the water.

Does the trolley go far enough down the slip to allow a deep drafted boat to float on stern first? All the boats I have seen lifted at Aylesbury have gone on bow first.

58 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Does the trolley go far enough down the slip to allow a deep drafted boat to float on stern first? All the boats I have seen lifted at Aylesbury have gone on bow first.

Can only agree, would be surprised if going on stern first is possible

1011 Aylesbury Dry Docking 4th April 2015.JPG

1012 Aylesbury Dry Docking 4th April 2015.JPG

I have been in touch with dunstable boat club but there ramp is to steep as i have good friends from there.

Not tried winkwell dock.

Aylesbury seamed happy to take the back out there not going to charge unless i can do the job which seams nice. If not it will have to be a dock.

Last year I moored in the short pound above Bates boatyard and woke up on the bottom due to leaky lock gates. I think they may have fixed the leak now but I suppose you could moor in a short pound and accidentally leave a paddle up overnight:ninja:

3 hours ago, Bewildered said:

Last year I moored in the short pound above Bates boatyard and woke up on the bottom due to leaky lock gates.

Nothing to do with lock gates.

It is often empty because all the wooden boats leak so much that they suck all the water from the pound above.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, carlt said:

It is often empty because all the wooden boats leak so much that they suck all the water from the pound above.

I hurd this too! What sort of person buys a wooden boat? I mean really what were they thinking?

I dont know if its fixed but i had forgotten about this pound! This is worth a look as it nearly emptys its self when i was there a year ago

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/03/2018 at 04:40, carlt said:

Indeed, this was last June, hottest day of the year and there was no water in next pound.

20170621_094547.jpg

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 07:35, billybobbooth said:

I hurd this too! What sort of person buys a wooden boat? I mean really what were they thinking?

I dont know if its fixed but i had forgotten about this pound! This is worth a look as it nearly emptys its self when i was there a year ago

It used to empty because Lock 12  (the one where BW spent 6 months and £886,00 rebuilding one wall ) leaked badly  through the top gates and CRT want it left empty with a paddle up.  Frequent call outs to run water persuaded CRT to do something about the top gate and it's OK now,  AFAIK.

The wooden boats at Bates's still suck a lot of water out though and put silt back.

The trolley at Aylesbury is quite capable of accepting a deep boat any way round- there is over 4ft of water above the trolley at normal levels,  which is more than the entrance depth.  There might be a problem with bow locker drains etc if   going all the way up stern first, and the slipping procedures  cover checking for that,  but for a "lift the arese-end a bit  for access" job there should be no problem.

N

On 16/03/2018 at 23:50, bizzard said:

What about healing it over bankside with a Turfor or rope tourniquet, Spanish windless tied to a tree. I've done this a couple of times to boats with Spanish windlass.

That is exactly what we did to black the waterline on Pisces back in the 1960's., using ropes tied to trees on the oppositee bank. Of course there was very little recreational traffic in those days, and we knew the movement patterns of all the working boats, so were able to time it not cause any hold ups. I am not sure it would be possible these days.

im going to head up maffers flight and tie up and wait for level to drop i can then just jump in patch and get out if i loose my wellys at least the job will be done free and with no hold ups. if i cant do this ill head to Aylesbury

On 3/21/2018 at 20:05, David Mack said:

We used the ACS trolley to get our 3' 6" draught tug out - no problem.

As the baseplate is so small, sleepers were put across the trolley beams, so the trolley gets to at least 4 feet deep.

The only difficulty was seeing where the sleepers were.

Fortunately Geoff, the ACS banksman, has brightly coloured ratchet straps !

P1020154x.JPG

Edited by jake_crew