Docking need to get job done cheaply

Jrtm

Featured Posts

Of course a proper pikey boater would hang the back end on a lock cill, caulk up the seam, refill the lock and be on their way in no time.

Personally I'd patch it from the inside with a bit of copper sheet (or tinplate) and Bituminous roof repair mastic until I could get it to a dock or slipway or if I couldn't reach keep it full of ash and sawdust from the outside.

6 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

Rust? I would love rust but its a wooden boat so i have no rust just lots of drift wood. It will be ok for a bit but if not done semi quick it will cause bigger problems in future

Going that way so can give a shot.

and its quite short

1 hour ago, carlt said:

Of course a proper pikey boater would hang the back end on a lock cill, caulk up the seam, refill the lock and be on their way in no time.

Personally I'd patch it from the inside with a bit of copper sheet (or tinplate) and Bituminous roof repair mastic until I could get it to a dock or slipway or if I couldn't reach keep it full of ash and sawdust from the outside.

Ive already sawdusted it, patch on inside is impsible without ripping all the shearing out, im going on dock next year so will be fully scraped out and re corked at that point and any other bits i find but this spot gave a very slight trace where it leaked so i know its got past the corking but sawdust holding for now. I have white water proof mastic to put inplace this seals but easy alows for known spots of repair at docking time.

5 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I think that the recent works at the Riser lock probably mean that pound is no longer regularly emptying itself out.

I have to say if I were om my travels and found someone in a pound that needed refilling relying on it for boat maintenance I probably wouldn't be too happy if I had to wait before refilling it.

But if he moors for the night, drain a bit and do it after tea chances are no one will come along until the next morning. How long will the job take.

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But if he moors for the night, drain a bit and do it after tea chances are no one will come along until the next morning. How long will the job take.

10-20 mins if im changed ready to jump in water once low enough.

• Greenie 1

Contacted acs to see how long i can be on there trolly for or how long i can be out of water for. Hopfully might even be right out but we will see, was kinda hoping for around £100 at worst case but will see. Ive got a few others to try as well. Hoping friends near pitstone can help

14 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Hello Ange!

Where have you been?

Hey hey dear friend. I needed a break for a variety of reasons but I'm back now.

Hugs to you and Little Else x

Do what the owner of the narrowboat at Saxilby has done this week. Wait for the water to come up and site the boat on the bank.

Now they just have to wait for the next "high tide" to refloat it again.

Think they are banking on this summer being a wet one ;)

If I read your description of the problem right you won't need a ride on the trolley.  Just to back into the slip and lean things over a bit.  You should  be able to wade down the slip then and get at the job.

However, it's a bit academic as there is currently no water below Lock 14 and the gates to Circus Field basin are firmly shut.

N

4 minutes ago, BEngo said:

If I read your description of the problem right you won't need a ride on the trolley. 

Not sure I would fancy putting a 70 ft wooden boat on the ACS trolley. There'd be too much unsupported boat overhanging.

20180318_094422.jpg.0ac506b0d332f9f56333c22d1a6363f4.jpg

Edited by David Mack

Indeed!  I remember when we lifted Pleiades in the town basin. Even with  two cranes and 4 slings it broke.  Mind you it was very rotten.  

In the case of Towy the need is just to lift the stern a little so even if the job is not accessible by wading down the slipway, any boat hanging off the trolley should still be supported by the water.

N

DSC_0013.JPG

Yes the bow will support its own in the water and ill move all the ballast out so it should only need about 6 inches - 1 foot, the slip at aylesbury should be ok as i can put the trolly under the engine and pull up a little.

There is curtently no fuel in main tank and no water in the tank so its already 2-3 inches out from normal position.

Im just waiting on a reply for time on trolly at aylesbury, sent email to a friend and also sent email to cowroast, i was hoping to go to brinklow but im not going that way now for a while.

4 hours ago, BEngo said:

If I read your description of the problem right you won't need a ride on the trolley.  Just to back into the slip and lean things over a bit.  You should  be able to wade down the slip then and get at the job.

However, it's a bit academic as there is currently no water below Lock 14 and the gates to Circus Field basin are firmly shut.

N

Maybe i should be below lock 14! Yes even just walking down the slip might help. The need for lifting a bit is so i can see the patch to pitch its prov easy to find by hand but trying to patch just by hand is another matter as its under the counter bottom of top plank

On 17/03/2018 at 00:02, stagedamager said:

Use a sealant which will cure underwater until you are willing to pay for a docking.

Kind regards

Dan

This is what i have, just need an easy place that i can get at the spot. Its going back on dock next year before easter hopfully so will be fully delt with then