Docking need to get job done cheaply

Jrtm

Featured Posts

Anyone know the best sections of canal that get low and high i.e a foot

Ice has pulled a bit of pitch out need to put some back in but its on first plank just below counter cant quite reach with water level as is and no taking balast out wont help. But might be able move some about to get bit of an angle.

Shame the top locks of aylesbury arm arnt wider as not sure i could get the spot. + dont wanna hold canal up or waste water but somewhere that drops down over night is perfect.

Just now, billybobbooth said:

Anyone know the best sections of canal that get low and high i.e a foot

Ice has pulled a bit of pitch out need to put some back in but its on first plank just below counter cant quite reach with water level as is and no taking balast out wont help. But might be able move some about to get bit of an angle.

Shame the top locks of aylesbury arm arnt wider as not sure i could get the spot. + dont wanna hold canal up or waste water but somewhere that drops down over night is perfect.

Theres a low pound on the middlewich branch at the moment.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

I have found a spot that needs patching from the ice we had but i dont wanna really pay a day or 2 docking and in and out fees, when i only need the area out the water or partly out the water so i can get it fixed, i just cant quite reach the area without getting wet 6 inches - 1 foot out the water on one side to reach ive moved ballast but its not enough so trying to find out if there are any pounds that have regular low water levels so i can ballast tie up and let level go down to reach the spot.

Edited by Dave_P
Offensive term "pikey"

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

Why not organize a party. Free beer and a full English breakfast fry up for all. Get 20 of us along. I'll bring the duck. Once we've got in the mood, we can all go and stand on one side and watch you work!

Silly Billy - that won't work! If we stand on the side he's working, the bit he needs to paint will be further under water, and if we stand on the other side he'll be able to paint but we won't be able to see him do it. We'll just have to do the free beer and breakfast, then go and see how he got on by himself. 

2 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

I have found a spot that needs patching from the ice we had but i dont wanna really pay a day or 2 docking and in and out fees, when i only need the area out the water or partly out the water so i can get it fixed, i just cant quite reach the area without getting wet 6 inches - 1 foot out the water on one side to reach ive moved ballast but its not enough so trying to find out if there are any pounds that have regular low water levels so i can ballast tie up and let level go down to reach the spot.

Hence i need to be a pikey.

I'm just wondering what the panic is. The boat isn't going to sink tomorrow, the rust will take years before it matters. Don't lose any sleep over it, just don't forget about it altogether.

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I'm just wondering what the panic is. The boat isn't going to sink tomorrow, the rust will take years before it matters. Don't lose any sleep over it, just don't forget about it altogether.

Rust? Billybobbooth has a wooden boat.

6 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

Hence i need to be a pikey.

So a pikey is someone who is clever and resourceful. I'm happy with that, despite the perjorative term.

Edited by Ange

7 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Rust? I would love rust but its a wooden boat so i have no rust just lots of drift wood. It will be ok for a bit but if not done semi quick it will cause bigger problems in future

48 minutes ago, BWM said:

The riser pound in berko seems quite tidal.

Going that way so can give a shot.

7 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Did you actually read the thread before commenting ?

Planks & pitch were both mentioned in the 1st post.

2 hours ago, Ange said:

So a pikey is someone who is clever and resourceful. I'm happy with that, despite the perjorative term.

Yes and no, ive never met a non resourceful pikey, but ive never met one that want to pay either.

P.s. yes it could decide to sink randomly could be fine for months or years then one day right weather or twist and all of a suddent my bildge pumps will have to be tested.

1 hour ago, BWM said:

The riser pound in berko seems quite tidal.

1 hour ago, billybobbooth said:

Going that way so can give a shot.

I think that the recent works at the Riser lock probably mean that pound is no longer regularly emptying itself out.

I have to say if I were om my travels and found someone in a pound that needed refilling relying on it for boat maintenance I probably wouldn't be too happy if I had to wait before refilling it.

51 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Speak to ACS.  I am pretty sure you could back it up their slipway and get at it  that way.

You would have to go down the arm though.

N

Give them a shout, dont mind going down arms its arms length that your head starts to get wet